Motion Capture Fun

gordonramp

I've been getting animation working in the LE. and trying out some Motion Capture files. The Soldiers are a wind-up toy clip and the Woman is simply a wind-up.

View on youtube..

gordonramp.

AMD Athlon x2 7750 2.7ghz, 6gb ddr2 ram, Galaxy9800GT 1gig ddr2 video card, Windows 7,64.

Oh, Motion Capture is created by using that system. And the clips are saved as movement files that can be instilled into a biped. Most animated movies are created this way. There are lots of free movement files on the Net.

AMD Athlon x2 7750 2.7ghz, 6gb ddr2 ram, Galaxy9800GT 1gig ddr2 video card, Windows 7,64.

I ask myself the same question. Why re-invent the wheel? The clips can be linked together also to create quite long scenes. I guess there are two draw-backs. One, you need an applicable animation clip, and two.. you need the necessary sofware to set the rigs up. Neither of these are enormous hurdles.

Turbo-squid has them.. do a search for free .bip files. BVH files work too. Mocap seems to be a key word.

Yeah, I actually priced one of those suits, thinking I could make my own files but they are like $20,000 with the software.. but there are heaps files on the web, it's just a matter of finding some that fit in with your storyline. Ironically, simple 'walk,idle and run' are the hardest to find.

Well there are places that will hire out time. they provide the actor and the suit, lighting, a whole studio. and you tell them what you want. I havn't found such a service where I live but I believe they do exist.

This looks interesting..

truebones.com has a **** load of BVH files, that can be linked to your mesh, and give you ready made animations..

FOr us non-artist types, it make for a nice rigging model. :)

Yes I also really recommend trueBones

I bought their MegaBones (2400 BHV animations) and that will surley cover most weird demands

of animations.

Use Blender to rig and animate. Its quite simple.

- Import your model to Blender

- Import the BHV file

- Parent the model to the Armature and let Blender do the skinning

- Make any needed corrections to the skin

- Export to FBX.

AV MX Linux

Very nice. I might have to give this a try.

It's worth every penny. You can buy the monsterBones and holy ****. I can't say enough good things about it. I haven't tried to do anything with leadwerks yet though.

I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to SPEED around a city, keeping its SPEED over 50, and if its SPEED changed, it would explode! I think it was called..... 'The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down!'

• 5 years later...

I bought Truebones packs long time ago and I haven't manage to get it working anywhere or various reasons. Rigs are different along the animations, most of them has sliding feet's, some have stuttering movements, very few are looped and so on. So I agree with gamecreator.

AV MX Linux

This has the best selection of motion capture files I've seen for free...

https://sites.google.com/a/cgspeed.com/cgspeed/motion-capture/3dsmax-friendly-release-of-cmu-motion-database

You still need to clean them up a bit.

yea they do need some work, but they are awesome, I've used some of these before. and most likely will again.

Processor: AMD A6-3420M APU integrated Radeon HD Graphics 1.50 GHz

Can it be used in Blender ?

How are walk and run animations ? i mean static at same position ready for game or are they for cinematics like running along a path ?

I haven't been able to look at all the animation's(there are a lot of them), and yes they can be used in blender

Processor: AMD A6-3420M APU integrated Radeon HD Graphics 1.50 GHz

I downloaded and imported in Blender, the problem walking animations for example are along a path not staying at same position.

So that's not usable in game.

Is there a method to use these animations ? copy to another and insert your own locRotScale keyframes when you want re positionning the character in space to have it staying at same position ?

Stop toying and make games

It's reasonably easy to get into max, with a little editing, sorry don't use blender at all so I can't comment on that.

In max you can fix the root node on any axis so you can keep a rig centered, maybe there is a comparable feature in Blender? Like I said you still need to edit the **** out of it, but you end up with a much nicer animation.

What??? I cant say c r a p?

trindieprod.png?dl=0spacer.png?dl=0steam-icon.png?dl=0twitter-icon.png?dl=0spacer.png?dl=0