Ultra Engine noob feedback thread

Josh

The tools to make games for a single inexperienced person are all over the place, click and drag. I understand Josh's business model, this implies performance and a clear focus is to give these tools to users who will have the potential in money to buy assets from third parties, or pay for a development team where the human has the talent. 

At this point, a technology is focused on the power of volatility, and this is how I perceive Ultra Engine. The rest will grow little by little.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

• Like 1

Do you plan on adding a gizmo for the Placement function? I'm finding it hard to find objects I select in the node tree  since no gizmo appears when selected. Also thumb nails for mats? Large directories of materials are hard to differentiate between whats what. Also, maybe remove the restriction on viewport sizing? Since Radeons cannot go single viewport,  it would be helpful to be able to make the active viewport larger ( like leadwerks does, theres no restriction ). I couldnt find a way to turn off grid snapping. Thumbs on gltf model files?

This model crashes the editor when I attempt to view it in the Asset Browser, it loads fine if I drag and drop it to the viewport.

bank.zip

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Alienhead said:

Do you plan on adding a gizmo for the Placement function? I'm finding it hard to find objects I select in the node tree  since no gizmo appears when selected. Also thumb nails for mats? Large directories of materials are hard to differentiate between whats what. Also, maybe remove the restriction on viewport sizing? Since Radeons cannot go single viewport,  it would be helpful to be able to may the active viewport larger ( like leadwerks does, theres no restriction ).

When objects are selected an orange outline around their edges appears. This will appear on top of other objects in the foreground and it should be highly visible.

Materials should have thumbnails appear automatically.

Untitled.png.2d9aa20832f16f589068029b6ca8247b.png

Viewports can be resized by clicking and dragging the divider area in between the viewports.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

1 hour ago, Alienhead said:

This model crashes the editor when I attempt to view it in the Asset Browser, it loads fine if I drag and drop it to the viewport.

bank.zip 948.48 kB · 0 downloads

The zip file does not include the required "bank0.bin" file.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

On the subject of a widget, I think it's more important for the 3D viewport than the 2D viewports. I love moving things around in the 2D viewport, but in 3D, it can get a little sloppy.

I mostly liked the widgets because they automatically showed the origin point and the entity's rotation (In local mode) without anything else being needed. 

• Like 2

Cyclone - Ultra Game System - Component PreprocessorTex2TGA - Darkness Awaits Template (Leadwerks)

If you like my work, consider supporting me on Patreon!

12 hours ago, reepblue said:

On the subject of a widget, I think it's more important for the 3D viewport than the 2D viewports. I love moving things around in the 2D viewport, but in 3D, it can get a little sloppy.

I mostly liked the widgets because they automatically showed the origin point and the entity's rotation (In local mode) without anything else being needed. 

I plan to add this as a visual indicator only, while keeping the existing method of moving objects.

• Like 1

I have been playing with the editor.

Is there  way  of rotating/scaling textures on CSGs? Or is that still to be implemented?

Can we have "CTRL click and drag" to copy  a CSG object. It is so much quicker than ctrl+c and ctrl+v.

Otherwise the editor is very good for quick map building.

I knocked this one up in less than 20 mins  and that was while learning the editor.

image.png.3caafd42465ded55826e20de11287950.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Why is there a limit to what can be done on such an engine? Also, I see the same physics engine (newton dynamics) used in leadwerks in the ultra engine. From my experience with leadwerks, it has a really buggy physics engine. For example, you can squeeze small objects that can be grabbed and make them go into the wall easily, or if you grab an object and drop it right on top of your character, you can see the object bouncing on your head all the time.

www.routerlogin.net

Pikashow.ltd

Hello Josh,

after toying in Ultra editor a bit, i need some answers if possible:

• Viewport layout : not remembering the last setting
  • Zoom in and out commands not working on my side (= and -)
  • Zoom limiting at 6% minimum and 5751% max (?)
  • Textures on terrain: no UV Tiling ?
  • Box object not showing dimensions (x,y,z) only scaling for new dimensions ?
  • Is it possible to add a function for viewing (zooming) all objects in a scene or one (entire) object only ?

Thank you for your great job because i am not talking about all that is working good !

• Thanks 1

AMD Ryzen 5900HX - Nvidia RTX 3070 - 32 Go - 1To SSD - W11

33 minutes ago, diedir said:
  • Textures on terrain: no UV Tiling ?

You can change the tiling via the scale setting for each layer.  in theory (which looks very ugly) you can assign a colormap covering the whole terrain.

• Intel® Core™ i7-8550U @ 1.80 Ghz 
  • 16GB RAM 
  • INTEL UHD Graphics 620
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit-Version

When I press the Save button, it should say:

Saving map "Maps/start.ultra"...Done

Now it just says:

Saving map "Maps/start.ultra"...

and I don't know when it's done.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Editor should also have an indicator if the map was changes, for example with a * at the filename and/or a grayed out disc icon. It should also prompt to save when exiting.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

3 hours ago, Canardia said:

Editor should also have an indicator if the map was changes, for example with a * at the filename and/or a grayed out disc icon. It should also prompt to save when exiting.

I thought it did this already?

3 minutes ago, Leag said:

Hi @Josh,
I'm looking to buy Ultra Engine but I'm more familiar with C# than C++. Should I get the Lua Version and upgrade to .NET later when it is released, or wait for the .NET version? 
Would buying Lua now mean paying the full .NET price later?

If you get the C++ version it includes Lua and will include future supported languages.

I have not looked into C# in detail yet and I cannot guarantee when/if it will be added, but I am pretty sure I want to support it. Some users reportedly have working implementations of C# with Ultra but I have not personally tried them out myself.

So it will probably happen but nothing is official until its official.

5 minutes ago, Josh said:

If you get the C++ version it includes Lua and will include future supported languages.

I have not looked into C# in detail yet and I cannot guarantee when/if it will be added, but I am pretty sure I want to support it. Some users reportedly have working implementations of C# with Ultra but I have not personally tried them out myself.

So it will probably happen but nothing is official until its official.

So, if i understand correctly, the Ultra Engine Pro Edition will support C# and other languages in the future.

On 11/7/2023 at 10:23 AM, Josh said:

I plan to add this as a visual indicator only, while keeping the existing method of moving objects.

And how is that done because I cannot figure out how to move objects around in any viewport without the gizmo. I'm completely confused.

I installed the latest Dev version. I have a trackball mouse - no middle mouse button to click. I can scroll however.

Mike

MSI Dominator Laptop - Core i7 - 8 cores / 3ghz / 32gb RAM / Nvidia 980 GTX with 16gb vram / SSD drives

MSI Dominator Laptop - Core i7 - 8 cores / 3ghz / 32gb RAM / Nvidia 1060 GTX with 8gb vram / SSD drives

Alienware Laptop - Core i7 - 8 cores / 3ghz / 32gb RAM / Nvidia 1070 Ti with 16gb vram / SSD drives

My Patreon page: https://www.patreon.com/michaelfelkercomposer

My music for sale: https://www.tgcstore.net/category/513?format=all&perpage=30&textures=undefined&price=all&order=default&artists[]=87213

Custom synths and sounds - http://www.supersynths.com