Version 3.0 product name

Josh

[in my justin timberlake voice] Drop "the". Just Leadwerks.

Hey it worked for Facebook.

Exactly my opinion also. Just "Leadwerks" would work just fine.

Can't see any problem with that. A new user or a presumptive buyer will know that it is a game engine whatever the name is.

I mean.. they won't buy by just seeing the 3D in the name anyway. Don't make this more complicated than it is. Leadwerks is cool enough, easy to say, easy to write and easy to remember.

AV MX Linux

No matter what you chhose make sure you have a word in which most people are searching for. Like "game" or "engine". It makes sure you will be find by search engines. Or do some specific landing pages at least.

If you have some kind of website analytics running you can also check for the keywords which make people find here or from which places in the web they coming from. If 90% came here with the search string "banana" it would be a good idea to name it "Leadwerks Banana Engine" or so. :P

Pure3d Visualizations Germany - digital essences

AAA 3D Model Shop specialized on nature and environments

No matter what you chhose make sure you have a word in which most people are searching for. Like "game" or "engine". It makes sure you will be find by search engines. Or do some specific landing pages at least.

If you have some kind of website analytics running you can also check for the keywords which make people find here or from which places in the web they coming from. If 90% came here with the search string "banana" it would be a good idea to name it "Leadwerks Banana Engine" or so. :P

If you do a search for "game engine" on google you will get a bunch of game engines without the words 'engine' or 'game' in them. It depends on what you write on the product front page and which tags you use, so I don't think that is of any real importance.

AV MX Linux

This is not 100% Roland. Google first displays the results which have the search keyword in the URL. Then it displays the meta description and keywords. Unity3d is an example for it. ITs not on top of the searches of game engine because the URL misses the word "engine" or "game". But it has it in meta description.

This is a reason for using search engine friendly URLs and set up meta information properly without. I made very good experience on my websites with it but wont bust this thread with SEO stuff here. :P

Pure3d Visualizations Germany - digital essences

AAA 3D Model Shop specialized on nature and environments

This is not 100% Roland. Google first displays the results which have the search keyword in the URL. Then it displays the meta description and keywords. Unity3d is an example for it. ITs not on top of the searches of game engine because the URL misses the word "engine" or "game". But it has it in meta description.

This is a reason for using search engine friendly URLs and set up meta information properly without. I made very good experience on my websites with it but wont bust this thread with SEO stuff here. :P

OK. You may be right there. I'm no expert, just did what others would have done and typed "game engine" in google and came up with game engines without the "engine" or "game" in their name.

AV MX Linux

Leadwerks3 would be confusing when there comes version 3.1 out, then it would be Leadwerks3 3.1 or Leadwerks3.1.

The best is to have Leadwerks3D 3.1, or if Josh wants to start version numbering from start again, then the first version would be Leadwerks3D 1.0.

I don't like this idea. "Leadwerks3D 3.1" sounds like a mouthfull, where-as "Leadwerks3D" rolls off the tongue like "Leadwerks Engine" did.

That whole SDK/GDK thing is quite good I think."LEGDK" sounds cool, and would indicate that there are a large variety of tools to work with.

Intel core 2 quad 6600 | Nvidia Geforce GTX460 1GB | 2GB DDR2 Ram | Windows 7.

Google Sketchup | Photoshop | Blender | UU3D | Leadwerks Engine 2.4

How do you express version numbers then? Of course you don't need to say always Leadwerks3D 3.1, if you always talk about the current version, then it's just Leadwerks3D.

GDK is actually a nice idea, SDK is too general, and LE was never a SDK, since you can't do everything what you can with a SDK, a Software Development Kit, because that would include all kinds of software. Android SDK is a SDK, because it doesn't have any game related features, but only general software development features.

There's nothing restrictive in talking about a Game Engine. I even use a Game Engine at work, because it allows me to do industrial business apps for Android.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

I'm a bit late to the party, but here goes.

...I guess most people will come across it in the context of a game engine search,...

This is what got me here via google. It wasn't until I read the entire forum, what I could anonymously, and tried out the software that I decided to make my purchase.

..."3D" seems to refer to rendering only, and not the game engine. Think Ogre3D

Engine has no negative connotation in my humble opinion,...

/agree, the reason I stumbled upon this "engine" was in seeking just that, an engine, or more aptly an API. But I digress, see next.

...Even if its Leadwerks3D you will have to explain that its a 3D engine on the webpage so you still have to use the term "engine"...

Absolute must in my opinion. Or go with a name addendum or slogan that includes the word 'engine'.

"Leadwerks3D Game Development Engine" or something of the like but simply call it Leadwerks3D.

...Leadwerks3 would be confusing when there comes version 3.1 out...

Undoubtedly. Leadwerks3D sounds better, to me at least; while it does have that visual appeal as Josh mentioned. A 3 could even be slightly tilted to the left, aligned and slightly overlap the gear icon on the logo, while shifting that latter part a few pix to the right for good effect. ;)

...if Josh wants to start version numbering from start again, then the first version would be Leadwerks3D 1.0...

Starting back at 1.0 may cause those stumbling upon the software to think it is in it's infancy and not well developed yet. It would really have to be flashed up on the page saying it's a new and improved rewrite of LE 2.5. A drawback of that is convincing them that LE 2.5 was really good and this revamp will be even better. In my opinion, it's not a bad idea to go to 1.0 with the rewrite, you just don't tell them the version number and increment it later at the next price point.

...I think anyone who comes across Leadwerks already knows that they're looking for. They won't mistake Leadwerks Engine for an automobile company just as they won't mistake Leadwerks3D for a computer animation film studio...

Very true, but the search words, add words, key words, et al have to lead them to the site.

...Leadwerks Game Studio...

To me, that sounds kinda cheap. A knockoff. For the past decade or so Studio has been thrown onto just about every type of software.

I think less is more so i think straight Leadweks is great ;)

as for SEO, you don’t need engine in your url, page tittle yes. Meta tag is only a fall-back for incorrect formatted content, most search engines don’t read keywords. Search engine ranking is mostly made up by how people link to you e.g. “3d games engine” is link title when clicked directs to leadwerks. Google "click here", Adobe is number one because of the amount of people linking to them for flash and reader using title click here.

My first Adobe purchase was Photoshop 2.0, CS6 was my last! < = >

Leadwerks3D is identifiable. I'm with Leadwerks3D. B)

It just brings some practical problems:

A: I made this game with L3D.

B: With Lightwave3D?

A: No, Leadwerks3D. Maybe I should shorten it LW3D.

B: But that would be still LightWave3D :D

A: Well, I could just use LE3D then.

B: But there's no "Engine" in the word.

A: Yeah, but it is an engine, and there used to be. I think on the front page you can find "Leadwerks3D 3D Game Engine" somewhere mentioned.

B: So, what version of the engine did you use?

A: I used the older LE3D3, because the beta of LE3D4 wasn't out yet, and LE3D3.2 had some problem with recast, it couldn't jump over obstacles.

B: Did you try C3P0 or R2D2?

A: Very funny.

B: Dude, just call it LE3, it sounds more readable, and is unique. Besides, it fits better with the whole picture too: LE1, LE2, LE3, and since there is a Museum on Werkspace too where you can download the older engine versions.

A: Yeah, and LE3.2 looks then better too.

Metatron,

I see your point. But for promotional purposes I think 'Leadwerks3D' tells more to the prospective User in a sea of www information. I'm sure that inhouse it would be shortened, the prerogative of the Developer.

Perhaps a long version..'Leadwerks3D GameEngine'

AMD Athlon x2 7750 2.7ghz, 6gb ddr2 ram, Galaxy9800GT 1gig ddr2 video card, Windows 7,64.

I personally don't care what the name ends up being as long as the engine itself is awesome....

However, I found LE by doing a google search with the word 'engine' in it. I can't remember what the whole search was but it definately had engine in it. Not once did I think about searching game studio or anything like that.

Also when I think Leadwerks3D.. hmm what is that? 3D modelling software? CAD modelling? TBH I wouldn't think of a game engine. Also imo the words 'Game Studio' are like a pointer to 'n00b n00b n00b'. If you tried to program a game with something called a game_studio it would look something like this: game_Studio->CreateOriginalGame(); ...... ERROR: SORRY, CAN ONLY CREATE COOKIE CUTTER GAMES!

But Yeh I don't really care. Whatever, you think will get more people here Josh ;).

STS - Scarlet Thread Studios

AKA: Engineer Ken

Fact: Game Development is hard... very bloody hard.. If you are not prepared to accept that.. Please give up now!

LE4DWERKS

That contains Leadwerks+Engine+4D ;)

It could be even colored nicely:

LE4DWERKS

Kinda suggests you to say LE4D, doesn't it? Which again suggest to think of "lead", as in leading, not the heavy metal. Or why not also heavy metal, since it's the best music!

And there were have Engine in the word too, because LE means Leadwerks Engine, which seperates it from n00b-only game makers.