GDC 2010 Presentation

Michael Betke

There was a reason why it was a bit silence around my gallery and work presenttion.

One thing was my new company launch which holds me back from developing fast.

Other thing was a GDC 2010 demonstration I'm working at. It'll be used for several purposes. In first case for video-presentation.

EDIT:

Project is done. Here is some screenshot stuff.

And the videos on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/user/pure3dviz

On a side note: You'll be able to buy asset packs I do/did very soon. So stay tuned. :)

post-6-12672220881301_thumb.jpg

post-6-1267222164066_thumb.jpg

post-6-1267222235438_thumb.jpg

Pure3d Visualizations Germany - digital essences

AAA 3D Model Shop specialized on nature and environments

I'm normally a big fan Michael but this is just not working at all for me. I don't quite know how to put my finger on it but something does just not feel right. The trees in particular seem cold and sterile with no contrast and light variation. There seems to be some essential ingredient that is just missing and I wish I could say for sure what it is. Sorry, I did wonder whether I was better just not saying anything ... but that is my honest opinion.

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

have to agree with Pixel... it lacks something... maybe its the effect of the bloom on everything making it washed out... I think perhaps just HDR without the bloom so you can actually see the sky's blue color might help... :) perhaps play with the ambient light setting as well...

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

I tend to agree the skybox should be a darker starting color, because when the ground fills the screen it really brightens the sky a lot.

Other than that, these are some of the best realtime screenshots I have seen, ever. It's certainly much better than S.T.A.L.K.E.R., and looks as good or better than Crysis.

I can't say exactly why, but this is so much better than your previous screenshots. This is the first time I have seen really good outdoor scenery in Leadwerks Engine. Definitely better than most AAA games I have seen.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Depending on the feedback here I played around with some settings.

The skybox seems to brighten up because of the distant fog which reaches int othe sky. I had to raise the fog on such a height because otherwise the shape of the mountains would be just white in a far distant which looked not good.

I also darkened the Skybox. I only have a free cgtextures account and need to rescale the skytexture. This results in a visible edge along the borders of each skyimage. :)

The forest consists of three tree models now. But they all have the same texture. I'll change this. Maybe in colors or in another texture/shape. Some leave -trees in there would be great i think.

Concerning the painted textures I think the pixel ratio is off on the large rock models. I sclaed them for testing and will need to do a higher-res texture for them.

I have to do another scene in the next two days but will change/add more stuff to the forest then. It's fine for a video-flythrough but as a interactive demo it needs to get more polished and optimized. :)

EDIT: Scaling the trees is a bit hard because I ran quite fast into the 15 vegetation layer limit with the ground cover. I had to export three models just for the scale. MAybe this'll chane in future.

Edited by Michael Betke

Pure3d Visualizations Germany - digital essences

AAA 3D Model Shop specialized on nature and environments

The vegetation layer limit is arbitrary. I believe it is 16, but it can easily be raised.

If you adjust the alpha value of the fog color, you can make fog that is not completely solid in the distance.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

On a technical level, I'd be fine getting a booth for the engine right now, but we don't have enough media content and demos built up yet. Next year would make more sense.

On a technical level, I'd be fine getting a booth for the engine right now, but we don't have enough media content and demos built up yet. Next year would make more sense.

I like your sense of patience and foresight, whatever you decide to do.

Core I5 2.67 / 16GB RAM / GTX 670

Zbrush/ Blender / Photoshop CS6 / Renoise / Genetica / Leadwerks 3

hi Michael.

I like your first screenshot.

when you posted a feature request in a video, you used a scene with really nice sky and a lonely tree!

it was one of best scenes I've seen in leadwerks! :P

Omid Saadat

OD Arts Blog

AMD Phenom II X4 940 - Geforce 8800GTS - 4GB RAM - XP x86

AMD 6000+ - Geforce 9800 GT - 2GB RAM - XP x86 (Home pc)

Intel Core i7 - Geforce 310M - 4GB Ram - Win7 x64 (Laptop)

You can also use a sphere as skybox. Just disable the Framework skybox and put your own inside out sphere in the background world. It doesn't even need a shader.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■