New PC - Is it good enough?

cassius

I'm thinking about buying a new PC. I don't plan to spend a fortune and was looking at this one from Cyberpower. What do you think? Would you recommend something different?  It uses the GeForce® RTX 3050 8GB graphics card.

https://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/system/Ultra-45-RTX-Next-Day-PC

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++

It's hard to recommend computers for other people in my opinion. This could be disappointing, too much, or just right.

What do you plan to do with it 90% of the time?

If it's to build Ultra Engine projects, I really think the CPU will be fine. I never felt CPU bottlenecked outside of VR. My VR machine has a 3rd Generation Ryzen 7 chip and I felt it's more than enough. My development machines use both 7th generation i5 Intel with 8GB of DDR4 RAM and only now I'm noticing limitations when compiling Ultra Engine projects. (And using a spinning drive to store source code doesn't help..)

If you have a 4k display, obviously you're gonna want a more capable card to take advantage of it. However, if you're like me still happy with a 1080p display, it should be fine. My friend has a similar GPU and I've never heard him complain about issues playing games with his 1440p monitor.

You can always upgrade the storage and the GPU if/when those prices ever become reasonable again I see the motherboard as a pretty much a forever thing on the otherhand. What bugs me is that there's only 2 RAM slots on this board. If you were to upgrade the machine to 32GB, you would need to replace both modules. My other nitpicks is that it's water cooled so it'll require more maintenance (But I recommend it in warmer climates), and looks tacky as hell with the RGB; but that's a personal preference

I do not have any experience buying a prebuilt machine unless it was a laptop or a Mac. If you're willing to build, I would check to see how much it'll cost to buy the parts alone.

Cyclone - Ultra Game System - Component PreprocessorTex2TGA - Darkness Awaits Template (Leadwerks)

If you like my work, consider supporting me on Patreon!