Release Notes

Josh

• Added "Generate Material" option when you right-click on any image file in the asset browser.
  • Updated some icons. Bringing color back in slowly.
  • Like 2

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

• Rotation mouse cursor now used when rotation tool is active.
  • Increased the minimum mouse move distance before drawing a new object is initiated.
  • Like 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

• Save/load of the new .ultra map format now supported. It could break at any time but it seems stable. The format is JSON-based, so I can add new data or change it slightly and maps will still load.
  • Environment probes added in editor, along with controls of edge fade distance properties.
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

• Added screen-space reflection integrated into the basic lighting. Call Camera::SetSSR(true) or enable it in the editor viewport options.
  • Removed SSR post-processing effect.
  • Changed syntax of CreateMeshCollider.
  • Design of push constants block in GLSL totally revised.
  • Like 1

• Shader family files now use extension .fam.
  • Material files now store shader family file paths, relative to the material or to the project. Material editor is not updated yet to support this correctly.
  • Post-processing effect files now use extension .fx and are moved to the Shaders directory.
  • Material textures are now stored with paths relative to the material file (prefixed with ./) or relative to the project.
  • Upvote 1

• Just noticed "Tools > Build GLobal Illumination" was missing in the editor menu. This is rather important.
  • Like 1

• Added Entity::GetIndex(). This should ONLY be called from the rendering thread (in a RENDER or TRANSFER hook).
  • Thanks 1

• Ambient light and distance fog are now accounted for in GI lighting calculation. I tried some maps from Cyclone and got a pretty seamless match between SSR and environment probes.
  • Like 1

• Added Initialize() function and EngineSettings structure. Shaders must be recompiled with correct array sizes if these values are changed, and I don't think they all work yet, so I really wouldn't mess with it. I also don't know which arrays get resized and which do not.
  • Removed AsyncRender(). Use EngineSettings.asyncrender = false and call Initialize() instead.
  • Like 1

• Material color / intensity now works correctly in asset editor.
  • Material shader family controls updated in asset editor, to treat shader family as a file that can be selected from any directory.
  • Material emission property fixed.
  • Upvote 1

• Alpha mask fixed in PBR shader.
  • Asset editor will no longer load additional model LOD levels.
  • Fixed bug in gltf shader family paths when saved.
  • Fixed calculation of camera depth range in asset editor.
  • Like 1

• Terrain editing is nearly finished.
    • I'm currently using a transparent sphere as the gizmo / indicator. This is not ideal but I think I want to use a decal for this, and decals aren't implemented yet. I'm not sure yet.
    • Saving terrain in the map file format is not supported yet.
    • Everything else shown in the editor should be working, including layer scales, constraints, UV mapping mode, etc.
    • Speed of the terrain sculpting is currently framerate-dependent. I need to do something to regulate this to adjust for rendering time.
  • Terrain API changed a bit. Terrain now has "layers". I did not need to add this for the materials but rather for the UV mapping mode, scale, and constraints. Originally I thought I would store these properties in the material file itself, but having those values hidden away in different files was frustrating.
  • The "mapping scale" feature is removed from materials completely.

Differences between Leadwerks and Ultra terrain:

• Ultra supports up to 256 different materials.
  • Slope and height constraints are only used at the time a material is painted on. If you change the constraints values after that, it will have no effect except on new brush strokes you make.
  • Material layers do not appear in any order. The order of the layers in the list is irrelevant. You just select the layer and start painting, and it will appear.
  • Multiple terrains are supported, and may be positioned, rotated, and scaled.
  • Terrain must be selected for its properties to appear in the side panel under the Terrain tab.
  • Like 5

• Added terrain editor gizmo drawing code into the terrain shader. This is the best solution because:
    • A 3D model would require sending the updated vertices each frame, and still would not match the terrain exactly.
    • A decal would require a very high resolution texture, and would still have visible pixels sometimes.
  • Like 2

• Terrain save/load now implemented in map file format (editor only at this time).

This is my list of unfinished things needed before release:

• Undo system
  • Components in editor
  • Terrain gizmo acting weird
  • Terrain mouse tool overriding required viewport events
  • Brush scaling in 2D viewports
  • Collision type list items in entity properties
  • Terrain tool speed regulation
  • Object template categories
  • Object bar buttons
  • Texture lock
  • Object menu items in Create menu
  • Run game interface
  • Publish game
  • Recent files / folders list
  • Viewport rendering options / modes
  • Navigation mesh objects in editor
  • Group / ungroup
  • Drag / drop change entity hierarchy in scene browser
  • Missing settings in Options dialog
  • Point entity creation tool
  • Display point entity icons in viewports
  • Various GUI glitches
  • Like 3

• Added timing regulation to the terrain tool strength. The easiest way to test this is to set tessellation to the max quality in the options, then disable it to see the difference, assuming your computer is not super fast.

Object categories / object dropdown boxes, Create menu and object bar buttons now work. Only the box object bar button is present since the other brush templates have not been written yet.

• Josh unlocked this topic
  • Josh locked this topic