Release Notes

Josh

• Editor drag operations will now be very snappy, even in big maps.
  • Loaded Leadwerks materials now use default PBR shader instead of poorly-defined "classic" shader family.
  • Added Camera::SetFogMode, Camera::SetFogColor, Camera::SetFogRange.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

• Environment map settings now work (select the scene root). I believe this finishes out the scene settings, although I guess I have not added the post-processing effects controls yet.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

• WASD / arrow keys now work when the mouse is hovered over a viewport, without right-clicking into freelook mode. 
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Finished the behavior of the translation mouse tool. This was actually probably the hardest remaining task and now it is done. Drag positioning operates in the same manner as Leadwerks.
  • Added Edit > Align to Grid menu item.
  • Some improvements to the 3D grid appearance.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Added scaling mouse tool. I think it works really well, with local or global coords / axis. This was hard to get right but I think it is working correctly, even in difficult / weird situations. Much better than the implementation in Leadwerks.
  • Edit modes and tools are now actually selectable, so a lot of buttons were removed and will be added back in as I implement each button's functionality. Under the hood there's now a system that actually changes the editor mode and tool, instead of it just being hard-coded.
  • Added a "Utilities" tab in the main side panel. I plan to use this for small dialogs instead of using a million small tool windows.
  • Console now scrolls to the bottom when new text is added.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Added rotation mouse tool. This one works similar to rotation in 3ds max and Blender, again this one is much better than what I did in Leadwerks., and works with both local / global coords. I just made the widget out of three cylinders because my 3ds max subscription expired, but it can be replaced by overwriting UI/widgets/rotate.gltf.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Rotation mouse tool now works in 2D viewports, only when global coordinate system is in use. Really need to replace the widget with something made out of rings, but it works. Usage is like in 3ds max, so you can rotate on all three axes in any 2D viewport.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Scale mouse tool now works in 2D viewports when global coords is in use, and scaling tool uses grid snapping now to increment the scale changes. I looked at Blender's quad view and the controls in the 2D viewports are really bad, it seems like they are just an afterthought.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• You can now click-drag to draw boxes in the 3D viewport! 2D drawing is not yet implemented.
  • Scale tool now resizes the selected objects precisely along the grid size. One increment of scaling =  one grid unit. Much nicer this way!
  • Mouse tools now display some useful information in the status bar.
  • Entity colors now using half-floats in shader data to eliminate what was some pretty big color imprecision. Requires new shaders.
  • Thanks 1

• In this build the positioning gizmo does not appear in the 3D viewports at all. Instead, you just click on a selected object and drag the mouse to move over the XZ plane. Hold the Alt key to move the object up and down the Y axis. Let me know how this feels for you.
  • Thanks 1

• In this build I am experimenting with getting rid of the scale gizmo. Just grab near the edge you want and start dragging.
    • Make sure the Edit > Global Coordinates menu item is checked.
    • Only works in 3D perspective viewport

Hopefully that is intuitive. Try making some stuff and tell me what you think of this approach.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Holding the Alt key with scale tool will now enable uniform scaling
  • Alt key down / up events trigger cursor change in scale and move mouse tools
  • Added stippled lines :wub:
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• Finished the scale tool, I think, at least the 3D perspective implementation. It supports multiple objects selected, model rotation without shearing, and other weird situations.
  • Directional light enabled in default scene. Shadow is a bit hit or miss right now.
  • Thanks 1

• Scale tool uses a different approach for hovering over backfacing edges. Move the mouse slightly outside the bounds of the object to select, feels better to me and this approach will work with arbitrary brushes, not just boxes.
  • Objects bar and Create menu is temporarily emptied out, stay tuned.
  • Drag a material file onto a brush to apply it.
  • Brush texcoords now update as objects are moved around.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Face tool is nearly finished. Things you can do:
    • Drag and drop a material just to one face
    • Click and drag a face to move it around (totally new way to control your brushes)
    • Delete (hide) a face.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Crude implementation of terrain sculpt. Select "Heightmap Terrain" in the objects list, create a terrain, select the terrain toolbar button, start sculpting. Alt key digs.  Terrain is using 16-bit floating point format for heightmaps, so you can raise or lower the terrain with no constraints. I had to hack the Newton library to add support for half-floats, and I am a little bit proud of myself for this.
  • Like 2

• In this build the mouse has to be dragged a certain distance before it will start drawing a new brush. This is intended to reduce the number of accidental object creation actions that can happen when working. If you press the mouse and move a couple of pixels, then release the mouse, the underlying object will be selected, instead of how previously object selection had zero tolerance for mouse movement.
  • Grab-and-rotate now works in 3D viewport as well. Hold Alt to rotate pitch / roll. I'm not going to tell you what the rules are for which is chosen, just try it and see if it feels intuitive to you.
  • Like 2

• Josh unlocked this topic
  • Josh locked this topic