Release Notes

Josh

• First pass at showing the grid on brushes. I'll add an option to turn it off, and maybe turn down the contrast a bit. I also tried showing it on terrain and models, but it really only made sense on brushes.
  • Terrain API is changed a bit. Call AddLayer and SetLayerWeight instead of SetMaterial.
  • The way post-effect parameters work is changed and the limit is raised to 64 float values (four 4x4 matrices). In a shader, call ExtractPostEffectParameters(n), where n is a number from 0 to 3. This will return a 4x4 matrix storing 16 float values. All values will be 0.0 until they are set programmatically. The PostEffectParameterN variables are still in the shaders, but won't work anymore. So if you wanted to get the first to values it would be like this:
    mat4 params = ExtractPostEffectParameters(0);
    float val0 = params[0][0];
    int val1 = floatBitsToInt(params[0][1]);

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

• Brush scaling now modifies vertex coordinates instead of treating it like a model, so scaling can cause shearing on rotated brushes.
  • Brush face and vertex tools now work in 2D viewports.
  • Like 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

• Brush face texture mapping properties now work and are saved/loaded in map files. Texture alignment buttons and texture lock do not work yet.
  • Like 1

• Texture lock now implemented. :wub:
  • Camera::SetPostEffectParameter() should be fixed when using textures as the value.
  • Like 1

• Drag and drop in scene browser now works to parent entities to each other, map files should retain the correct order of entities.
  • Fixed initial UV mapping when brushes are first created.
  • Like 1

• Drag material onto brush or face now applies to all selected brushes/faces if the target brush/face is selected.
  • Brushes that are a child of another entity now update their UV coords when the parent is moved.
  • Vertex and face editing now correctly updates brush shadow.
  • Fixed bug when selected brushes switch to face edit tool.
  • Like 1

• Escape-key-to-break-out now works correctly with vertex and face tool dragging.

Here's where I'm at now:

• Terrain gizmo acting weird
  • Terrain mouse tool overriding required viewport events
  • Terrain tool speed regulation
  • Object template categories
  • Object bar buttons
  • Object menu items in Create menu
  • Recent files / folders list
  • Finish surface grid
  • Post-processing user buffer
  • Brush scaling in 2D viewports
  • Face and vertex editing in 2D viewports
  • Brush face texture mapping settings
  • Texture lock
  • Drag / drop change entity hierarchy in scene browser
  • Crash when hit escape during vertex movement
  • Point entity creation
  • Point entity display in editor
  • Object creation parameters
  • Other brush templates
  • Components in editor
  • Displacement UV scale
  • Collision type list items in entity properties
  • Run game interface
  • Publish game
  • Missing settings in Options dialog
  • Navigation mesh objects in editor
  • Undo system
  • Lua documentation and examples
  • Post effects in editor
  • In-editor post effect parameters
  • Viewport rendering options / modes
  • Group / ungroup
  • Like 2

• Added point entity creation mode. It works like Leadwerks but in the 3D viewport, too. Each creation tool is a separate class, so it will be possible to add extensions with an additional tool type for other things like splines or whatever you wish.
  • Like 1

• Added cylinder brush. It uses a field for the number of sides. Setting that up is where I spent most of my time, so now other brush templates with parameters can be supported.

To-do list is getting very small now:

• Other brush templates
  • Components in editor
  • Navigation mesh objects in editor
  • Displacement UV scale
  • Run game interface
  • Publish game
  • Additional settings in Options dialog
  • Copy / Paste
  • Undo system
  • Lua documentation and examples
  • Like 3

• Terrain now shows resolution creation parameters, with different values for width and height.
  • Added some missing entity types including box lights, a little bit of work left to do on all these...
  • Like 3

• Added special icons for different entity types, some missing entities in the create options, and properties for cameras and lights. It's mostly done, although I have missed a few details I will get in one more update.
  • Like 1

• Added property for sprite materials, entities without materials will no longer be invisible. Works nicely, will also be used for decals and particles, when those are added.
  • Like 1

• Updated programming library.
  • Scene now has a member "navmeshes" that is a resizable array of navigation meshes in the scene.
  • The entity the navmesh was created with in the editor has a "navmesh" value in its properties, with that value equal to the index of the navmesh stored in the scene.
  • Fixed DDS not saving R16 float textures (I think).
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• Finished component system integration in editor and map files.
  • Component .hpp files moved into categories in the Source/Components folder. JSON files used to expose values to editor. Everything should be self-explanatory.
  • Right-click on component group for "Remove" popup menu to appear.
  • RegisterComponent() is used to automatically add components to entities in loaded map. Component::Load will be called to load map properties.  I also looked into C++ reflection libraries but they all require manual registration of members, which makes them more trouble than they're worth.
  • Like 1

• Added support for game launching. Select the Game > Run menu item or press F5 to run your game.
  • Your Ultra.json file must have configurations defined like below. The system is being designed to accommodate launch configurations that involve multiple steps, like running a lightmapper or BSP compiler before launch.
{
	"configurations": [
		{
			"launch": [
				{
					"commandline": "+map $MAPFILE",
					"path": "game.exe"
				}
			],
			"name": "Run"
		},
		{
			"launch": [
				{
					"commandline": "+map $MAPFILE",
					"path": "game_d.exe"
				}
			],
			"name": "Debug"
		}
	]
}

• Like 3

• Josh unlocked this topic
  • Josh locked this topic