Release Notes

Josh

Lua binaries updated, components are now getting attached properly. Note that a component script must call RegisterComponent() to make itself available.

• Thanks 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

• Fixed ambient light level not loading from Leadwerks maps
  • Fixed terrain in Leadwerks maps not loading correctly. Texture layers still need some work...
  • Thanks 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

• Default environment map textures are now located in Materials/Environment/Default. You must sync your project to get these textures. It's more of a conventional skybox so PBR reflections won't be quite so bright white as they were before.
  • Added first-person controls component to C++ template.
  • Thanks 1

• Updated Lua binaries
  • Added FirstPersonControls Lua component. ChatGPT did a nice job converting this from C++. Interesting that you can run the same map using both C++ and Lua components.
  • Fixed bug in preview.exe that was causing all 3D rendered thumbnails to be skipped.
  • Thanks 1

• Keys in JSON-based formats (shader families, posteffects, and materials) are all being converted to lower case. Examples:

"shaderFamily" -> "shaderfamily"
"OPAQUE" -> "opaque"
"postEffect" -> "posteffect"

You must sync your project to get the updated shader family and post effect files.

This will a slight inconvenience, but it's better to do this now when it will only affect a few people.

• All JSON keys in map files should now be lower-case. I kept some extra checks in so that the most important data won't be lost (brushes, etc.) but some things like collisionType and pickMode that were camel-cased will need to be reset.
  • Thanks 1

• Keys in JSON-based formats (shader families, posteffects, and materials) are all being converted to lower case. Examples:

"shaderFamily" -> "shaderfamily"
    "OPAQUE" -> "opaque"
    "postEffect" -> "posteffect"

You must sync your project to get the updated post-effect and shader family files. If you have any custom files this affects, you must updated them to use lower-case keys. This will a slight inconvenience, but it's better to do this now when it will only affect a few people.

• Map files will now use lower-case keys everywhere. A few camel-cased properties like collisionType and pickMode will be lost, but I added checks to make sure the important stuff can still be loaded from your existing maps.
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• Terrain is now using the same scaling scheme as brushes, where layer scale is defined in texels per meter.
  • Terrain created in the editor will be automatically filled in with "Materials/Ground/dirt01.mat"
  • Thanks 1

• Copy and paste in editor won't copy the world settings now.
  • Channel 1.0.3 has been renamed to "dev". Please uninstall and re-download. In the future, the "dev" channel will be continuously updated, and locked versioned channels will be dropped along the way.
  • Thanks 1

New client app is uploaded here:
https://www.ultraengine.com/files/UltraClient.exe

• The versioning is changed to avoid confusion with the engine itself. This one is labeled "Build 23".
  • Project creation / management is now completely removed from the client, since it has been implemented in the editor.

Ultra Engine is now accessible for all people who pre-ordered it using the client linked to above.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• Updated preview.exe so it loads the default spec / diffuse maps. It was trying to load the old one that no longer exists, which would make model and material thumbnails darker than they should be.
  • You can delete the C:/ProgramData/Ultra Engine/Thumbnails folder if you wish to regenerate all thumbnails.
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• Added VK_FORMAT_BC6H_UFLOAT_BLOCK to the list of recognized pixel formats in the asset editor, although I still do not have any way to convert these images to RGBA for viewing.
  • Thanks 1

• Fixed bug where extra model limbs were being created when map is saved.
  • Added a check to prevent the user from deleting model limbs, along with an error message if they try.
  • Fixed bug where boolean properties were showing the indeterminant state incorrectly when multiple objects are selected.
  • Thanks 1

• Added support for BC6H decoding, so skyboxes will now show their thumbnails in the editor. :)
  • You can delete the folder C:\ProgramData\Ultra Engine\Thumbnails if you want to force a refresh of your file thumbnails.
  • Thanks 1

• Fixed model thumbnail generation.
  • Fixed terrain collision problem.
  • When "Convert textures to DDS" or "Convert textures to Basis" are used, displacement maps will be saved as uncompressed DDS.
  • Thanks 1

• Fixed bug where "Convert textures to DDS" was failing to save DDS textures because of an incorrect mipmap chain.
  • Fixed model deletion bug in editor.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Josh unlocked this topic
  • Josh locked this topic