LE3 Platforms Poll

Josh

147 members have voted

1. 1. Which platform are you looking forward to the most?

• Windows
    • OSX
    • Linux
    • iOS (iPhone & iPad)
    • Android
    • Other
  2. 2. Which mobile platform are you most interested in?

• iOS
    • Android
  3. 3. Which machines are you most interested in developing for?

• High-end graphics (GEForce 8800+)
    • Basic graphics

Mika must not be serious about making money doing game development. The market base for Linux games is non-existent. I don't care about the statistic that Linux users spent more money on software than any other platform. Just compare the number of users for Win/Mac and Linux accounts for nothing.

I can really guess Mika's answers. The only one with a vote for Linux, evening the votes for Android? Tsk, so predictible.

It wasn't my vote, I voted right now. So unpredictable! :)

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Due to not being able to vote due to the poll layout:

Windows

OSX

iOS

WP7

Cool would be dynamic settings, so you could create your game once and have automated conversion to other platforms. For example, iOS supports textures up to 1024², so your bigger textures get scaled down... I would also suggest binary files over plain text/XML for performance reasons on mobile devices.

I suppose The high percentage of votes for high end machines indicates a high number of hobbyists with no worries of having to sell their games, or simply the fact that you MUST have such a machine for le 2.

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++

I can't seem to vote.

Windows (for development)

OSX (for deployment)

iOS AND Android

High-end graphics (and multi-core)

Robin

Programmer , Intel Quad core, NVIDIA GeForce GT 220, Windows 7 Pro, Galaxy Tab 2 ( 7" and 10"), LE2,LE3,3DWS

Which mobile platform are you most interested in?

None, but then I had to cast a vote ... to vote in the other two sections. maybe a none option would have been prudent?

AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 Black Edition

2 x 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Memory

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 Ti OC 1024MB GDDR5

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

BlitzMax 1.50 • Lua 5.1 MaxGUI 1.41 • UU3D Pro • MessiahStudio Pro • Silo Pro

3D Coat • ShaderMap Pro • Hexagon 2 • Photoshop, Gimp & Paint.NET

LE 2.5/3.4 • Skyline UE4 • CE3 SDK • Unity 5 • Esenthel Engine 2.0

Marleys Ghost's YouTube Channel Marleys Ghost's Blog

"I used to be alive like you .... then I took an arrow to the head"

I suppose The high percentage of votes for high end machines indicates a high number of hobbyists with no worries of having to sell their games, or simply the fact that you MUST have such a machine for le 2.

I was kind of thinking that same thing. You would assume anyone wanting to sell their game would vote basic graphics in order to hit the most machines.

evening the votes for Android

I voted for Android too. It's a very popular android that is on a huge variety of phones. No doubt in my mind that Android is/will be more popular than iOS because it is on more types of hardware.

I was kind of thinking that same thing. You would assume anyone wanting to sell their game would vote basic graphics in order to hit the most machines.

Tell that to id or Epic... I don't see them building Open GL 2.1 renderers anymore. Actually, I don't really see Epic using Open GL at all these days. Relying more in the console market to fill the void of PC users who aren't up to spec...

Oh psh Mika, don't go creating other accounts to vote Android up. :)

I can really guess Mika's answers. The only one with a vote for Linux, evening the votes for Android? Tsk, so predictible.

Actually, is there any reason this poll is private? Would there be any significant problems with seeing who wants support for each platform? Right now, all it would really reveal is which two users are looking forward to OSX support...

LE Version: 2.50 (Eventually)

To make big profit with selling games, you don't need to hit the most machines, but the most people who are willing to buy your game.

Even if you make a very low end game which runs on all machines, it might be that nobody wants to buy it, because it's not worth the money since both the gameplay and the visual quality is horrible.

But if you make a hightech game which looks awesome and has some creative gameplay, but maybe not so much different assets, you might find a lot of people who want to buy it. I think Portal was that kind of game, very simple graphics, but very high tech and very creative gameplay.

Relying more in the console market to fill the void of PC users who aren't up to spec...

Besides XBox it's harder for indie's (which seem to be the majority on LE) to get their games on the console at all so what do we rely on? All cassius and I are saying is that as an indie it's probably "wiser" to hit more types of hardware for your games you wish to sell so you get a better chance at more money.

Even if you make a very low end end which runs on all machines, it might be that nobody wants to buy it, because it's not worth the money since both the gameplay and the visual quality is horrible.

All things being equal with the fun factor of your game, assuming that you don't believe graphics make the fun factor, you'd be able to reach more people on basic PC specs which would give you a better chance at making more money.

But the problem is, it's not guaranteed that people with basic PCs would buy your game at all, indeed I know many casual computer users, who use only free software, and the maximum they want to spend on a PC is a 256KBit line. So in the end you would have two audiences:

#1: People who want to buy your game, even if it's too low end for their PC

#2: People who want to buy your game, and your game matches their PC features

So I would say that the audience #2 would buy more copies of your game than audience #1.

Of course you can make also 2 versions of the game, but that would be almost the same effort as making 2 games.

I would disagree with that but we can have different thoughts on the subject :) I'd also argue that to make money on games you don't always have to charge for your game. Advertisement is a model that does work for some games.

Personally I have a medium end machine and I have no issue dropping $5-$50 on a game but don't want to drop a grand for a higher end PC.

Wouldn't Mincraft be a pretty good example as to why you want to support lower end PC's?

From an engine point of view I hope Josh supports both.

Minecraft is not a low end game, it's a mid-end game.

It needs at least:

Minecraft

PREDICTED System Requirements

Intel Processor - Celeron M 1.5GHz

AMD Processor - Sempron 2200+

Nvidia Graphics Card - GeForce 8400 Series

ATI Graphics Card - Radeon HD 2400 Series

RAM (Memory) - 512 MB

Hard Disk Space - 1 GB

And it does not run on Intel GMA 950 and many other low price laptops, on which a low-end game would run.

So basically the requirements for MineCraft are the same as for a LE2 game, except that it would run on LE2, but be too slow for decent gameplay. Here LE3 brings mid-end gaming to the missing features of LE2, since it can run on mid-end machines with decent speed.

PREDICTED ?? I assume this is your guess?

Why would you guess that it is my guess? I'm usually not guessing anything, but gathering information.

http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=1235&game=Minecraft

Guest Red Ocktober

i voted for OSX and iOS just so the apple stuff gets a significant showing...

Windows is the default and shouldn't have even been offered as a choice...

of course Windows will be the first consideration with Apple a close second...

i'm still out as far as which mobile plat to focus on first...

next Windows will be a mobile platform soon, so that'll make the choice even harder/ or easier...

who knows :)

--Mike

I don't see Apple anywhere near 2nd place, not OSX, nor iOS. Linux and Android are the most popular platforms after Windows, as this Poll also clearly shows.

Just let Apple die in peace, it was a nice platform (after Amiga of course) when it had a Motorola CPU, but those times are gone.

I have already today a 1920x1080 video recording with HDMI connector Android phone with 48GB SSD, and end of this year HTC will bring a 3D video recording and playback (without glasses) Android on the market. I don't think Apple and Nokia will ever be able to do that.