a book ?

Alberto

I think you are going to get the reply that documentation is being provided. I do agree with you though, a book is a good thing to have as well. I see documentation as a reference and a book as a series of tutorials that help learn the basics. Then the documentation becomes much more valuable. The major problem is you have to find someone willing to write a book. I'm not sure what Leadwerks customer base is, but it may not have the demand that Unity has at this point.

Leadwerks gives you easy access to more advanced capability and is simple in design. The design seems to be a thin abstraction arround glsl and opengl. Learning opengl and glsl seem like better choices.

I think much of the pain we feel is result of how pissy a forums is for source of knowledge. The search is also rubbish. I am mildly offended at the utter despare of knowledge transfer. The wiki was a good place for me to ramp up but it is not updated. If Leadwerks 3 is good and works well for me I will seriously consider making a new wiki like site that is immune to spammers/hacking and not reliant on a database that can operate on free commodity infrastructure.

• Upvote 1

Guest Red Ocktober

at the rate Josh changed the 2.x api, any book written on Leadwerks 3 would be out of date before the electronic ink dried...

cool.png

--Mike

To be honest Josh, despite your best intentions, I suspect that no change is highly unlikely. On top of that there is considerably more functionality still to be delivered over the next couple of years! Plus, virtually no one apart from yourselves yet has any knowledge regarding how to build games with this engine and I suspect even your knowledge is still limited at this point in time. A book just seems premature a present, that's all I'm saying.

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

The book I mentioned was for 3dGamestudio a gameengine that is still around but seldom mentioned as a contenderon this forum. The book was out of date because the scripting language had since dhanged to something called lite c.

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++

A book on LE programming would likely cover general principles of putting a project together using mostly language agnostic techniques but specific LE3 implementation. I'm sure it will happen when the release has matured a bit. I only mention it as it was something I wanted to do a little while after my current book is released (any time now). But there's a lot of cool contributors out there and big questions over LE3, how well it will work in the wild and the roadmap.

I'm pretty sure you can take many mobile projects and give them the LE3 treatment, seems it's not going to be that big a departure from how LE2 worked on the outside. I already got an RPAG project (rapidly playable adventure game) lined up to test how well LE3 and programmer can implement a cross platform project. I already wrote it for Unity and AGK so it's a known quantity. Should fill in about 150 easily, 200 pages if one wanted to cover a lot of ground but that's would be a harder sell to a publisher.

6600 2.4G / GTX 460 280.26 / 4GB Windows 7

Author: GROME Terrain Modeling for Unity, UDK, Ogre3D from PackT

Tricubic Studios Ltd. ~ Combat Helo