Holywar Leadwerks+Blitz vs Leadwerks+C :)

VeTaL

Was trying to make small game prototype, and Aily adviced me to try Leadwerks+Blitz.

Well, what i can say... I used it for some days, but i actually dont see many pros, and lots of cons.

Pros:

+ native to Leadwerks language (is it actually a positive side for a small prototype?)

Cons:

- Stupid BlitzMax IDE. I'm not talking about visualizing of code structure (like in MVS 2010 ) or even intellisense (VA, or at least, build-in into MVS)... i just cant compile my project by pressing 1 key on keyboard. Usually i need to click and activate main file (if i was working in included file) and press "Build and run" button by my mouse.

- No color shemes in IDE. Maybe its not the largest cons, but i'm a programmer, not designer... And i would like to select my favorite color sheme among some avaivable scenes, not to create own.

- No normal search. Ctrl+F is piece of sh*t, but not a useable serach.

- Compilation time is quite long even on simple project.

- I have only framework+lua, but still faced some stupid problems (like this for enabling lua, and this while trying to move framework camera)

- Long time of font loading (it stops for about 5 seconds on the line "Loading texture "incbin::Arial9.dds"...")

- Dynamic typisation. It takes me about an hour to guess that Function is not a Method, and it cant access to private field, and it creates new variable each time. (well, maybe, some guys would claim that it is positive, but not at my experience :) )

- Ugly comments, started with " ' ". Or with "Rem/EndRem". And "EndFunction" is also too long in comparing with "}"

- Maybe more will appear in a short time.

I repeat, that i was trying to use it just for some days, so i hope that someone would some positive arguments :D

Working on LeaFAQ :)

Ah yes, debugger is also a hell. :)

- I cant add at least runtime breakpoints (again, not even talking about conditional breakpoints) - i need to add line of code, recompile and see results.

Anyway, what if i need fast build WITH debugger? :D I dont use antivirus, only firewall... but i'll check it, it shoud have some antivirus engine inside.

I just want to select the side of the Force: Looking like C-side is evil, cause it has cookies :)

Anyway, it was a joke about holywar: i'm interested only in arguments.

Edited: maybe there is better IDE than BlitzMax, and i know nothing about it

Edited2: and how often should i generate new lua-gluefunctions.bmx ?

'To create a new lua-gluefunctions.bmx file, comment and uncomment the following lines.
Include "lua-gluefunctions.bmx" 			'--Comment this line out to create new lua-gluefunctions.bmx
Rem
Import lugi.generator    					'--Uncomment this line to create new lua-gluefunctions.bmx
GenerateGlueCode("lua-gluefunctions.bmx") 	'--Uncomment this line to create new lua-gluefunctions.bmx
Notify("All Done", 0)                     	'--Uncomment this line to create new lua-gluefunctions.bmx
End                                       '--Uncomment this line to create new lua-gluefunctions.bmx
Rem 
endrem

Guest Red Ocktober
Edited2: and how often should i generate new lua-gluefunctions.bmx ?

just once should do it...

i've found bmax the easiest way to access the Leadwerks api...

and i'm using the original editor too...

as far as the language is concerned... a few lil quirks when compared to c++...

plus a lil weirdness in the syntax... but nothing major...

i guess i'm just familiar enough with the blitz to be comfortable enough with its eccentricities

to use it to lay down a lil app level logic...

--Mike

//as stated LE3 is written in C++.

yep, thats great :)

//just once should do it...

thanks... but, then, why not to include lua-gluefunctions.bmx to LE-BMAX? (looking like it was a long story :D )

Got an answer: http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/page/Documentation/LE2/tutorials/_/programming/bmx/blitzmax-framework-and-lua-r35

I like Bmax cos its nice and compact and fast enough for games. also its easy to set up ,needs no peoject wizard and does not keep throwing obscure error messages at you. I like c+= but not the microsoft version.

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++

No, I really need a decent IDE for it, because that gives an important all around feeling for a complete language and compiler IDE. Kinda lika Blitz3D. Start it, type few lines of code, run it. I'm going to Qt course next week, and what I've so far tried with Qt myself, was very easy and powerful. I can't even start to imagine what all you can do with Qt when you have some actual professional training for it, omg! It has even UDP networking built-in, and multi-threading. If Josh would have used Qt for LE3, it would have been ready already, but that's another story :)

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

- Stupid BlitzMax IDE. I'm not talking about visualizing of code structure (like in MVS 2010 ) or even intellisense (VA, or at least, build-in into MVS)... i just cant compile my project by pressing 1 key on keyboard. Usually i need to click and activate main file (if i was working in included file) and press "Build and run" button by my mouse.

- No color shemes in IDE. Maybe its not the largest cons, but i'm a programmer, not designer... And i would like to select my favorite color sheme among some avaivable scenes, not to create own.

- No normal search. Ctrl+F is piece of sh*t, but not a useable serach.

first of all, if you really wanna use Bmax with LE then correct way is Blide+Bmax+LE, then start talking about it...you cant simply compare VS ide developed for a years, with simplicity of default Bmax ide..so, use something what will do and thats Blide, if you really wanna use Bmax..

- Compilation time is quite long even on simple project.

..I mean, are you joking or what ? Have you even setup or try to setup your MinGW compiler .. if there is something kool about Bmax, its fast compilation time...few secs...dont tell me about VS and C++ compilation time because if ther eis something whats taking time to compile, thats C++ (except of course 'Hello world' code)

- I have only framework+lua, but still faced some stupid problems (like this for enabling lua, and this while trying to move framework camera)

- Long time of font loading (it stops for about 5 seconds on the line "Loading texture "incbin::Arial9.dds"...")

- Dynamic typisation. It takes me about an hour to guess that Function is not a Method, and it cant access to private field, and it creates new variable each time. (well, maybe, some guys would claim that it is positive, but not at my experience :) )

- Ugly comments, started with " ' ". Or with "Rem/EndRem". And "EndFunction" is also too long in comparing with "}"

- Maybe more will appear in a short time.

..it seems that you complaining about things you didnt learn properly, things what are done automagically in Blide IDE for Bmax and things you refuse to accept..for instance, how difficult is to use " ' " for commenting out instead of this "//" ?? Is that really so hard so it has to be thing to complain about ?? And Function - Method issue ... i mean.. no comment because if it took 1 hour for you to realize what is what, without even just looking basic help file where such thing is clearly explained with example, then .. facepalm..

Rick, why? :) NA wrote some interesting ideas - now i'll try to look at "Blide+Bmax+LE". Its always hard to find out some usefull ideas from hollywar, but this is way where its possible to get information from both sides.

// you complaining about things you didnt learn properly

You're absolutely right: i'm writing from the point of view of a man, who just started using it.

Rick, why? :) NA wrote some interesting ideas - now i'll try to look at "Blide+Bmax+LE". Its always hard to find out some usefull ideas from hollywar, but this is way where its possible to get information from both sides.

// you complaining about things you didnt learn properly

You're absolutely right: i'm writing from the point of view of a man, who just started using it.

Em... is there trial version of Blide?

I have both BlitzMax and Blide licencsed but never use them.

If its possible to transfer the license I could sell them for a reduced price

AV MX Linux