Possible to Pre-Order the 2.x -> 3.x Update?

Carve

I know you have had this question many times in the past, and I feel like a pain asking it. But do you have a rough idea on the price the beta will go for? And would you mind sharing with us if you do have a rough idea? :)

Intel core 2 quad 6600 | Nvidia Geforce GTX460 1GB | 2GB DDR2 Ram | Windows 7.

Google Sketchup | Photoshop | Blender | UU3D | Leadwerks Engine 2.4

I don't know because it depends on what I am able to fit in before the release. If I predict too high, then people get upset because the things they read in my blog don't justify the price. If I say too low, then people get upset when the price turns out to be higher. There are still a lot of unknown things I am researching.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Totally looking forward to that beta pre-order. Starting to save a part of each job's fee for it ;)

ps. Great idea having the LE3 forums.

Win8.1 Pro X64/ Intel core I7 @ 3.5GHz / 32GB DDR3 SDRAM / GeForce GTX 660+760/ VC++ Express 2013/ Blender /Unwrap3dpro3 /Modo 8

Thanks Josh. And in another form, that would be a wise saying Pixel Perfect.

I wasn't trying to be wise; just simply responding to Kevin's comment and pointing out that the consequences to Josh of guestimating the engine cost at this point are real, as Josh has already highlighted, whilst the consequences to Kevin are zero at this point.

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

I never understood the benefit of a pre-order.

I do. At least for the pre-orders I have done for other softwares.

Combined with a pre-order there is a discount on the price by most company's.

But in this case I have to agree with Josh. Its way to early to set a price.

AV MX Linux

You can sell a product which doesn't exist with a pre-order, and use the pre-order money to start developing the product. So you can basically start any project with zero budget.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

• 5 weeks later...

Cassius,

The reason LE2 is cheap compared to Unity pro is because it has only a fraction of the features.

I tend to disagree. Granted, Unity has a far better editor, but engine-wise I think LE runs circles around Unity, in both eye-candy and API usability.

The upgrade to LE3 will cost substantially less than a Unity license. I can't comment on the price of a new license, because I don't know at this time what it will be.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

• 2 weeks later...

The upgrade to LE3 will cost substantially less than a Unity license. I can't comment on the price of a new license, because I don't know at this time what it will be.

Sounds like a good plan. I would take a very conservative path towards approaching higher prices for licenses. Remember that Unity 3D has a LOT of buzz around it (deserved or not). They also have a number of expensive third party software built in. I have no doubt that LE3 will be awesome, just price it for building a customer base first and then make your money on major updates and slowly increase the entry price.

There are a lot of people who piss and moan about paying for major updates. In my opinion, paying for major updates is beneficial for the customer and the developer. It gives the developer a true incentive to provide quality updates. If the update isn't worth the price, the customers won't pay for it. This forces the developer to innovate and add useful features. A great case study for this is to compare the path of GarageGames vs Unity. GarageGames gave free updates forever and went no where.

You may want to consider releasing a OpenGL 1.x only version for free or for a very low price. It would be a great strategy to also offer a license for all platforms in the pro license (minus XBOX, PS3, Wii, etc).