SBX Frustrations

Guest Red Ocktober

Guest Red Ocktober

this_is_madness.jpg?psid=1

ya know... i just don't understand the reasoning behind some of the changes in different versions of things in the LW continuum...

today, it's the .sbx files that are spit out by the various editors that is the source of my frustrations...

in the course of porting over the GameObjects code to LW 2.31, i ran up upon the following aggravating state of affairs...

in LW 2.26 the .sbx files seem to contain a "classname" key for just about everything... logical... sensible...

then, in LW 2.31, it seems as if only a few things have "classname" keys assigned to em in the editor...

finally, in 2.32R5 it's even worse... the appears to be no "classname" keys assigned to practically anything...

why...

i mean, for god's sake... why change things for no good reason at all... especially when the changes will break compatibility with previous builds...

ok... all whining aside... does any of the lua experts here know of a quick way to insert a "classname" property inside all of those friggin lua scripts so that when the editor opens it will appear in the property dialog... i mean short of manually editing all the scripts one by one...

thx...

--Mike

..well..i never used any version of editor, but i completely understand your frustration RO, especially when you dig in to project and realize that nothing works..its VERY painful...but i hope it will appear some stable version without such turbulence...I recommend to lock down your project on to one version and do whole thing in that version (me myself will not move to any version from 2.31, until next project)..

Actually, its "the" madness ... right. :lol:

http://leadwerks.com/werkspace/index.php?/topic/857-object-properties/page__p__7499__hl__classname__fromsearch__1entry7499

and switching from 2.30 to 2.31 was way more pain - both are good but they differ in very little but huge changes, imho. As been said - stick with a version (2.28 was stable too iirc) and stop switching every few steps you make. :)

AMD 64 X2 Dual 5k - 4GB - XFX GForce9800GT - nv196.21 - WinXP Sp3

zBrush4R2 - Silo2Pro - Unwrap3DPro - Gile - MaPZone2.5

adv_banner-april2012_720x150_tex01.png

Xxploration FPS in progress ...

Guest Red Ocktober

thx for the input guys...

i'm not switching back and forth... my game is being developed in 2.26... period... i was so impressed with how easy this GameObjects thing of mine is, that i was trying to make it available to developers of other versions of Leadwerks who might find it usefull...

but i can see that in doing this there will be blood... and pain... :)

right now the only quick solution i see is editing class.lua to add a classname property to everything...

but that'll mean that the developer will have to go in and add the proper classname for everything they use in a scene (no real problem... just cumbersome)...

anyways... i'm gonna spend a few more minutes on it and see what happens... if nothing, then i'm back to 2.26 and my game... and i'lll post the GameObjects code for anyone else using the older version of LW...

--Mike

The Lua script attachment eliminates the need to parse entity class IDs. If this is not used, I recommend using the model file.

Originally, every piece of code was just a suggestion of how to set things up, and not a strict guideline. People wanted more and more an official way of doing things, and the result was version 2.3 and onwards.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Guest Red Ocktober

yeah.. i guess i should JT... ya got any suggestions... i mean a few realistic ones...

meantime, back on planet earth...

The Lua script attachment eliminates the need to parse entity class IDs.

i understand that Josh... but that doesn't necessitate the removal of stuff that previous versions have relied on...

how much trouble would it have been to leave a classname property in... even if lua didn't use it...

the framewerk was well accepted and extensively used... by doing this you've invalidated sometheing that you promoted, and that developers jumped on...

ya just can't dispose of stuff like this arbitrarily...

this isn't the only thing... man, comeon...

anyways...

i've found a simple, if a bit cumbersome, solution... it seems to be working in 2.31... i just had to edit class.lua and add these two lines

group=grid:AddGroup( "GameObject" )
	group:AddProperty( "classname", PROPERTY_STRING) 

this adds a classname property to a GameObjects group... then all the developer has to do is make sure everything he adds to a scene has a classname entry (ie point lights = light_point)....

a bit of a pain... but nothing overwhelming...

--Mike

Originally, every piece of code was just a suggestion of how to set things up, and not a strict guideline. People wanted more and more an official way of doing things, and the result was version 2.3 and onwards.

I think that's because Leadwerks is advertised as an engine and most engines provide a guideline for how things work. Plus you provide an editor. Even that's a guideline for things. Even the classname was a guideline for how things worked.

If you are making a library then give us the tools to make our own editors (with the lack of exposing certain things getting LE to draw on a GUI control seems to be a pain) and we'll come up with our own guidelines. If you are writing an engine then defined guidelines are expected. Anything in between and this happens.

Guest Red Ocktober

@ JT...

and the bad thing about you... is that you're here...

i'll try and ignore you until you grow up a lil... sorry, i gotta finish this stuff and i don't have the time to play today...

i've gotta agree with what Rick said above... i used to do this for a livin' not too long ago, and i never saw anything like this from a company selling software components, dlls, systems...

instead of looking forward to updates here... we fear em...

--Mike

And I'm actually more for exposing the things we need to build our own editors. I think it would be nice to have different rules available for people to pick which one works best for them, and this would happen if we are allowed to built editors for others (possibly even sell).

Hey NA, did you create your own editor for you game?

..yup..i have editor where i can set up everything quickly, particle editor, animation editor, all stuff i need so i just load extracted files from each of this editors in to game and just play thing..each class is self sustainable and self updating all changes, so, once loaded everything works on its own, thats why in editors, parameters has to be set for what you want..

..yup..i have editor where i can set up everything quickly, particle editor, animation editor, all stuff i need so i just load extracted files from each of this editors in to game and just play thing..each class is self sustainable and self updating all changes, so, once loaded everything works on its own, thats why in editors, parameters has to be set for what you want..

wow NA, you're a true pimp

Core I5 2.67 / 16GB RAM / GTX 670

Zbrush/ Blender / Photoshop CS6 / Renoise / Genetica / Leadwerks 3

Guest Red Ocktober
each class is self sustainable and self updating all changes, so, once loaded everything works on its own,

yes... that's what i'm talkin' bout... just like real world objects, these virtual objects can be programmed to do a myriad of things... and once they're completed, they can just be added to a scene and left alone... that's exactly how it should be...

i'm looking forward to seeing some of your stuff in action NA...

it was a headache... but it looks as if GameObjects is finally working in 2.26 and 2.31... i'll should have something to show tommorrow... i spent almost the whole day porting the 2.26 code over and trying to figure out why the point lights were causing a fault in the renderer... it seems that BlitzMAX 134 doesn't like to be used in the debug mode in some cases... running in the release mode mysteriously cured my problem...

i just wanna do a lil more testing on the player abstraction logic i added so that the player can take control of any gameobject and use it to represent him/herself as a person or vehicle or plane in a game... then GameObjects will be available to whomever wants to try it out...

--Mike

yes... that's what i'm talkin' bout... just like real world objects, these virtual objects can be programmed to do a myriad of things... and once they're completed, they can just be added to a scene and left alone... that's exactly how it should be...

i'm looking forward to seeing some of your stuff in action NA...

it was a headache... but it looks as if GameObjects is finally working in 2.26 and 2.31... i'll should have something to show tommorrow... i spent almost the whole day porting the 2.26 code over and trying to figure out why the point lights were causing a fault in the renderer... it seems that BlitzMAX 134 doesn't like to be used in the debug mode in some cases... running in the release mode mysteriously cured my problem...

i just wanna do a lil more testing on the player abstraction logic i added so that the player can take control of any gameobject and use it to represent him/herself as a person or vehicle or plane in a game... then GameObjects will be available to whomever wants to try it out...

--Mike

PointLights had a major bug that would cause a crash when rendered with water in 2.31. It was in the bug tracker and was fixed for 2.32... fyi.

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

Guest Red Ocktober

PointLights had a major bug that would cause a crash when rendered with water in 2.31. It was in the bug tracker and was fixed for 2.32... fyi.

thx Mack...

i thought i remembered something about this from way back when... i even did a search for it, but it slipped past me...

--Mike