Recommend a simple model program

josk

i agree with YouGroove, blender is easy for animation.-

If you start with 3d modeling any program is hard to learn but in blender you have a huge amount of things you can do, (for example it has model painter or model(terrain) sculpting aswell as motion capture which cost very much on other programs. Instead in Blender is free and you can learn it by watching much tutorials online (as i started). I cant say anything about 3D coat or others but when i was looking at this

(for me ) it seemed to be as hard as blender to start with.

0P asked for a simple modelling program not Blender. It's funny how majority of these conversations tend to end on Blender even though it is NOT the simpleset or easiest to use. Simply because it's free and versatile doesn't mean it suits everyone. As already mentioned Milkshape 3D is very basic and cheap. You can easily model simple stuff using vertex modelling. Another one that I've used is called Fragmotion. Low price but the feature set is extensive. It also has animations. Exports directly to FBX which works with LE.

• Upvote 1

Intel Core i7 Quad 2.3 Ghz, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Windows 10 (x64)

Will take a look at Fragmotion as well, thats being going from the BB3d days.

I know Blender is good when you get to know it, I am just after creating simple assets. My modelling skills are not great and any spare time I get will be spent coding rather than in depth model buillding. I buy most of my assets.

Thanks for all the input.

• Upvote 1

Elite Cobra Squad

It's funny how majority of these conversations tend to end on Blender even though it is NOT the simpleset or easiest to use

It's not hard once you have used it many times, it's like driving some boat, you must practice before having some pleasure.

Oh don't tell me it's so hard to use, now you have almost all functions essentials exposed on left menu, and the simple bottom menu for object mode and cursor mode.

Or press space and it will bring the menu window where you can enter also the first words of your command to find it like "Bev" for Bevel.

And you will work lot more faster using key shortcuts then having to drag the mouse to a button menu each time.

For example : "S" to scale, "E" to extrude and you can customize all your shortcuts.

Blender got the work done and done fast with many tools and options that other modeling apps don't have.

But i understand , the interface is not appealing perhaps (you can change the theme), it has some learning curve, it looks less friendly indeed.

Stop toying and make games

If even knowing the concepts of 3d modelling you have to look for tutorials to get your head around the interface and the way the software works it just means one thing: bad design! No matter how useful it is and how many cool features it has its very silly to assume that every user (especially in our case a person who is willing to do only minimal modelling) will have the aptitude to go through numerous tutorials to create a basic model. Now compare the modelling process, for instance, to Sculptris. You can just open it up and immediately get some results without even knowing what's what. Its intuitive whereas Blender is not. I know its like comparing apples and oranges but the gist is the same. I'm still surprised why Blender team haven't made a fork that has minimal features (e.g. strip out the anim, rendering, game engine etc.) and a very primitive interface. Much like Sculptris is a first step for Zbrush, such tool could be a gentle introduction to Blender.

Intel Core i7 Quad 2.3 Ghz, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Windows 10 (x64)

I know.

I also thaught they were entirely rethink the interface and making some big top bar to switch between modes (model, UV, animation ...) for version 2.5.

Unfortunatelly this was just a surface redesign, Blender interface philosophy remains the same.Only major additions additions are : Left Bar for tools , and right bar for stack of objects and properties.

The issue for some people is that Blender mixes too much things together instead of separating with windows rooms like 3D Coat.

Anyway, simple modeling is not so hard to understand , specially with the new left panel, but indeed that's not the best interface.

Zbrush is also disturbing at beginning and it's special interface, perhaps they will change that for Zbrush 5.

Stop toying and make games