LE 2 and LE 3

d123s404

Hello all!

I'm a new guy from another game engine's community looking to start using leadwerks. :D I still don't own leadwerks, but that is subject to change soon.

Regardless, I keep hearing about how a lot of people are using or going back to LE 2. Is there a distinction between the two?

Thanks in advance!

LE2 was finished, it works, it has the features etc.

LE3 is the next step, it's not quite there yet. It has the power to out-do LE2 but its missing alot of things people need as we speak, although that is subject to change we don't know when yet.

Operation Mosquito

Recruiting 3d Modeller/Animator. (pm if interested)

It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can do only a little. Do what you can. - Sydney Smith

I don't think LE2 is still for sale,

What type of project are you looking at, may help decipher if LE3 is currently capable or what may be missing you would need.

Operation Mosquito

It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can do only a little. Do what you can. - Sydney Smith

Something along the lines of dynamic drop shadows and post processing, which I'm pretty sure LE3 can do. I can only imagine that LE3 is fit for what I'm probably going to make on it, especially given that I'm only 1 hobbyist who's experienced enough not to try and make a AAA RPG as my first LE project. xD

I am "hoping" that LE3 will be fixed enough in free updates that you could even make an rpg, but it would struggle at the minute.

As an alternative to most engines LE3 is right up there. I'm splitting myself between this engine & UDK. I had wanted to use this entirely but it's missing some features I need and didn't want to delay so I may move back later on depending.

I think your best bet would be to make a list of the features/tools you definitely need and just post em up and we can try and checklist what is currently there, what isn't and maybe josh would drop in and mention if something wont be included or if it would incur cost etc

Operation Mosquito

LE2.x , in right hands could blow away engines with price tags scoring 6 digit numbers (on PC), LE3 cant do it..

Hummm , i'm not sure of that, because LE2 lacks on some areas of big world scene management ( terrain chuncking, world streaming etc ... ) . Yes LE3 has big potential if things go on the right direction (serious bugs to fix, editor attention, new features).

Stop toying and make games

I'm not really that specific with regards to the features. Through playing around with the trial version I can see that it most likely has all the features that I'll need, since I don't need all the most up-to-date graphics and features. As long as the engine is optimized, I can make due with what it has. :)

LE2.x , in right hands could blow away engines with price tags scoring 6 digit numbers (on PC), LE3 cant do it..

Hummm , i'm not sure of that, because LE2 lacks on some areas of big world scene management ( terrain chuncking, world streaming etc ... ) . Yes LE3 has big potential if things go on the right direction (serious bugs to fix, editor attention, new features).

..well..I am very sure it can do what I said, as I used it and fill it up with things I needed to achieve certain tasks....and by observing all of your posts ever made, I believe you will never find engine of your choice because, as i can see, you simply refuse to do any programming work, and expecting things to be done by 'button press'..well, thats not going to happen...as for LE2.x, its one of the most powerful rendering systems out there, and as i said, in right hands(means programmer want to make his hands 'dirty', do some work), output results could be literally same as xxx xxx license engines, considering PC as a target..

• Upvote 2

@Naughty Alien :

That's strange caus LE2 demos i tested are super slow for what they are, compared to some AAA complex games running lot more fluid and smooth.

But again you mean terrain based games i presume, not complex indoor ?

And i'm more in the case of indie game making , no AAA with hard core programming.

I talked with some 3D artist that made a game using Visual programming plugin only , and said withotu that he couldn't make the game. You are mainly a super programmer not a 3D artist ?

@YouGroove

..90-95% of game written by any engine, is your code, remaining 5-10% belong to actual engine calls..once you understand that, you will get clear picture why for you every single system has 'flaws'..I am using LE2.x, and only part i use is renderer..everything else is replaced/rigged with, in my opinion, better solution..having said that, infinite terrain add on for LE2.x is in my opinion, considered as a 'easy task', compared to some other things you will for sure, hit in game development cycle..also, those LE2.x demos are something i do not know about, but im very sure its highly non optimized and runs 'as default'...its all a matter of making your hands dirty, as a programmer, or not...im right now, as we speak, using LE 2.x for speed and processing wise, very intensive application (Mitsubishi Evo Interceptor sumulator, with force feedback on car chassis, full 360 degree visibility /32 synched screen panels/, hydrauliucs feedback, etc, for police department here, and it can be networked up to 16 simulators)..so far, LE2.x rigged with bullet and few other libs i wrote, blowing away everything else i have tried..I did redo pretty much all shaders LE 2.x has by default, but thats part of the job, you should take as a programmer..

• Upvote 2

Okay, so you stay with LE2 rendering.

Even rewritting the shader is not for everybody.

Perhaps your version with bullet should have becomed Leadwerks 3.

What you have done is a huge amount of work , this is like you were creating a new 3D engine by yourself.

In the end what remains of LE3 if you rewrite even shaders ? not a lot

Perhaps you could have go DirectX programming no ?

There are others API like Ogre3D and open source ones you could go with ?

Will you post some graphic screen of your "special" project ? Just to see the level of complexity ?

Don't mean to overstep my mark here but come on guys the guy was interested in purchased a product he didn't need to argument on his thread. Provide advice, share your view great but their isn't a need for this on this thread, especially with a messaging system on the site.

Operation Mosquito

Leadwerks 3 was meant to focus on the things Leadwerks 2 was lacking in, which were the art pipeline and cross-platform support. In time it will also have better graphics than Leadwerks 2.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Leadwerks 3 was meant to focus on the things Leadwerks 2 was lacking in, which were the art pipeline and cross-platform support. In time it will also have better graphics than Leadwerks 2.

Awesome! Thanks for responding! :D The multi-platform support is definitely a plus, With regards to the argument, I'm totally fine with it. xD I'm getting some good information off of it.

One hobbyist to another I think LE3 is the way to go, it might not have everything you want at the moment but by the time you have found your way around the editor and got a basic game up and running hopefully more features will have been added.

Elite Cobra Squad

@d123s404d

Current situation for LE2:

• OpenGL 4
  • Dynamic lights and shadows/ deferred rendering
  • Terrain
  • Windows only

Current situation for LE3:

• OpenGL 2
  • Lightmapping
  • CSG brushes
  • Better project management
  • Crossplatform: windows, mac, ios and android
  • Projected shadows
  • Flowgraph editor
  • Publishing to desired platform

On the road map for LE3:

• OpenGL 4
  • Dynamic lights and shadows/ deferred rendering
  • Terrain
  • Not sure: linux support
  • Steam SDK and workshop integration

Thanks for the feedback guys! I can see that LE3 at this point is more versatile, although it's less advanced in the graphics departement. That's fine though, since I won't be trying to make anything profound. As long as I can use my normals and cast shadows I'm good. :D

Hi,

I am new here (first post), I am thinking of buying L3 for a project that I am proposing, all I want to do is create levels in 3D that are lit, shadowed and use Normal, Diffuse,Illumination and Specular texture maps.

Some water shaders in the level would also be good, I do not need particles as this will be done post production as the game is a 2.5D adventure game using 2D images of the 3D environment.

I will also need to move around the rendered level to take the screenshots at a specific height.

Can L3 do the above? could L2 do this also?

Many thanksbiggrin.png

light/shadows = check

normal, diffuse, specular etc = check

water = not sure haven't touched it but you could make a custom shader.

move around to take screenshots = spectator cam check

Operation Mosquito