NEw project not running

I just created a new Lua project,

added boxes, a camera with the 3rd person script.

clicked on run or debug , but it says error and can't run ?

With previous updates there wasn't such problem ?

Stop toying and make games

The error is not map file not supported !

It says failed to cvluanh debugger this time, and nothing is blobked by firewall , as darkness demo runs the lauch screen before the error :

"map fiel not supported"

What i find incredible is that LE3 promotes Lua, but finally you can't use it.

I can't imagine some 3D level designer wanting to use script with Leadwerks 3.

OR perhaps it should be specified in features: YOU NEED SOME C++ COMPILER ?

I can use one or two other engines, were using script never requires C++ software, even after updates.

I was going to test new normal map textures and level, but once again : FAIL laugh.png

Things will come back i hope as LE3 will become more mature.

I can understand the frustration as it does seem odd that to use Lua you need VS in Leadwerks 3. Although I get why Josh is doing this, I don't think it's a good idea to pass the task onto the users. I think doing this task for the users is just something that has to be delt with on the product side to have it make sense for the pure Lua folks, and a detailed process just has to be done on LE's side. If this was an open source/free engine then I'd get it 100%.

No problem here testing a completely new created Lua Project.

as he does not have the map supported error

i think it is not because of the required compile of the project.

i have no problem with compiling it at all since the process is still very simple and it is very nice that you can do mix c++ with lua.

I don't know.

Perhaps C++ is the main feature after the GDC, it was script before.

Lua proved that you can have some good game very fast : "Darkness" because game framework exists and you even don't need a compiler.

I baught LE 3 for Lua not for C++. I'll see later if i don't have choice, perhas try C++ ? But it's not my motivation right now.

What i don't understand is you go in Project Manager :

Choose Lua project

And then you can't run it ?

It's like you buy some Auto radio where it is written :

-CD MP3

-USB MP3

You buy it for CD MP3 caus it's more simple for you. And last repairs on the car make that CD MP3 can't work no more ?? blink.pngmellow.png

I find Lua very artisanal in some ways ...

If it was complete C++ demo like Darkness with C++ game framework, perhaps i would dig it and see if i should pass to C++.

But there is no C++ complete project, once again Lua prooven that this is more simple and fast to make a game with it.

I have others solutions to make games using script only, but well LE 3 has some good points.

But well after GDC and what has been stated, yes C++ for LE3 like LE2.

Even for C# i don't agree that is some "has been" language as it is used in industry in big company software applications, even some 3D engines use it successfully.

All that is just my preferences, and i'm aware C++ is now the core of Leadwerks 3.

Let's hope to see appear some easy to use C++ framework with entity management ?

yes. he already mentioned that Lua projects will work like that in the future so there is no point in repeating that.

Leadwerks is still very new and i am really happy how the engine works at the moment.

Just compile it once and be happy. You normally don't create a new Project every day. And when you do not change the C++ code you can just copy the compiled binary files to the other project and everything would just work.

If you don't want to install Visual C++ 2010 me or anyone else could give the files to you.

I think you will not find any other engine that is more simple to setup a project for.

Just my opinion.

Back to your problem:

i don't know what "cvluanh debugger" is. maybe have a look in the log file to see if there is something going wrong.

The message as it failed to run the debugger.

It means i even can't no more run "Darkness" or any Lua project without compiling.

Well yes LE3 is very new, not in Beta , but in some Gamma state so ?

You can make games in C++, i baught it for Lua.

GUI system missing is also another big missing point actually.

And some open source (ogre 3D based) or indie popular engines uses C# and Mono what is very easy language as easy as scripting the way they implemented it , because they put a game framework. This points don't push me to C++

Yes things will come back in good state i hope for scripting, no need to make a flamewar.

I'll see if i install C++ and compile ? I'm not in the mood for that right now.

• 2 weeks later...

If you don't want to install Visual C++ 2010 me or anyone else could give the files to you.

If someone can provide some file that would make LE3 work again in Lua games, i'm interested.

As i don't use LE3 caus of that problem and because i don't use VC++ at all.

Even better :

we could create on store, some download named : "Last compiled project for Lua users"

I agree that the editor should just contain the latest build for debug and release. I can imagine that designers or Lua users don't want to install Visual Studio, let alone know what 'Compiling' means.

I just ran the updater for Leadwerks and there were no updates. I created a new lua project and did a build for release and debug.

Here you go:

• Upvote 1

I used to use the DA executables while developing :)

It took me a long time to get around to installing VS and to create my own Windows .exe files.

Robin

Programmer , Intel Quad core, NVIDIA GeForce GT 220, Windows 7 Pro, Galaxy Tab 2 ( 7" and 10"), LE2,LE3,3DWS

I had failed to launch project test3.debug.exe ?

And i copied and renamed your files ?

Well i really hope LE3 to put Things right for the next release. I mean people wanting to script , can do it.

And well on Steam the advertisment of LE3 is a lot focused on : Scripting , visual workflow.

I can imagine people coming to use it and beeing deceived after some update.

Let's forget that.

I just created a C++ project instead, it opens VC++ directly and it runs.

Auto completition is a big difference with Lua not having that.

So C++ is almost mandatory with LE3 i think in the programming side, i'm not so sure Lua to be the way to go to make an entire game (even if it was stated on Steam GreenLight annoucement scripting and Flowgraphs).

I agree that the editor should just contain the latest build for debug and release. I can imagine that designers or Lua users don't want to install Visual Studio, let alone know what 'Compiling' means.

I just ran the updater for Leadwerks and there were no updates. I created a new lua project and did a build for release and debug.

Here you go:

Thank you for the files Aggror, they worked great for me.

Still can't understand why Josh let's his baby in such a state, but maybe it's the price to pay for him beeing a genius. Genius don't care for easy things to do. Sad news, his employee seems to be a genius too; not really unexpected thus.

Windows 7 home - 32 bits

Intel Quad Q6600 - nVidia GTX 460 1GB - 2 GB RAM

• 2 weeks later...

Inevitably I will forget to upload a new build of the template program every single time, for every supported platform, so it is recommended the user rebuild their executable with each update. If providing these binaries was a requirement, we would simply drop Lua support because we can't keep up with it.