Soft Body Physics

fumanshoo

I'm interested to know what people would even use soft bodies for in their game. I can't imagine it's benefit being worth more than the performance cost that I imagine it would induce.

• Upvote 1

STS - Scarlet Thread Studios

AKA: Engineer Ken

Fact: Game Development is hard... very bloody hard.. If you are not prepared to accept that.. Please give up now!

Can anybody please list the full feature set of PHYSICS that will get implemented in the full feature release ( not the initial release ) of Leadwerks 3 ?

I'm interested to know what people would even use soft bodies for in their game. I can't imagine it's benefit being worth more than the performance cost that I imagine it would induce.

Well initially I thought it could be used for vegetation, powering through scrub, tree canopy etc. but you don't need soft body physics for that. Soft body physics makes me think of jelly cubes (that's jello for Americans).

6600 2.4G / GTX 460 280.26 / 4GB Windows 7

Author: GROME Terrain Modeling for Unity, UDK, Ogre3D from PackT

Tricubic Studios Ltd. ~ Combat Helo

Can anybody please list the full feature set of PHYSICS that will get implemented in the full feature release ( not the initial release ) of Leadwerks 3 ?

At some point Josh said LE3 will have drivers, and the physics implementation is a driver too. So the initial release should have a Newton physics driver, and people can write their own Bullet physics driver for LE3. If this indeed is still like this, then the Bullet physics driver will be on my to do list. I already made Bullet physics for LE2, and it was quite easy to do, although I had only cubes implemented.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Not even I can do that...
  • Upvote 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Not even I can do that...

Ummm ..... not even the creator ! So anything can happen I guess ..........

I'm planning on the same physics features as Leadwerks 2, and then soft bodies and real breakage are two good candidates beyond that.

Soft-bodies and real breakage ? Like destroyable environment in cryengine 3 and UDK ? That sounds awsome !!!!!

• Upvote 1

Guest Red Ocktober

may i (respectfully) direct everyone's attention in this matter ( without any intentions of getting into trouble, and with every intention of adding to the topic) to a small body of work by an an indie developer, whom i think is also a license holder here, that illustrates the the possibilities of soft body physics...

http://www.oddityint.../tech_demo.html

the last few demos (around the 5th or 6th) are soft body implementations...

--Mike

@ Scarlet Thread : I honestly don't care about using it too much but I am very interested in how characters and props will look with soft bodies. Like flags in the wind and playable characters with dangling cloth would give the animations a little more flow. I think that if I did use it, it'd be very under used for the sake of my crappy laptop.

...my crappy laptop.

If this is what you are using for LE2 currently then I suspect this is the cause of your issue here. Please list your computer specs in your profile as it will probably reveal the cause of that issue.

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

Laptop is like a Notebook, but it has Intel or AMD CPU, and nVidia or Radeon GPU. They are also thicker and heavier than Notebooks. Notebooks are mean for casual web browsing and office documents, while Laptops can do almost everything a Tower PC can do.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

I'm getting an Alienware X51 because I don't have the time to make a desk and I want a fresh new start with my computer. Also, it's really nice looking and I can upgrade the graphics card to the GeForce 8800. Hoping that I can get $200 for Christmas rolleyes.gif Can't wait to get animations in here and not have it run at 15 FPS all the time haha

I'm getting an Alienware X51 because I don't have the time to make a desk and I want a fresh new start with my computer. Also, it's really nice looking and I can upgrade the graphics card to the GeForce 8800. Hoping that I can get $200 for Christmas rolleyes.gif Can't wait to get animations in here and not have it run at 15 FPS all the time haha

Ah a glorified Dell

STS - Scarlet Thread Studios

AKA: Engineer Ken

Fact: Game Development is hard... very bloody hard.. If you are not prepared to accept that.. Please give up now!

and I can upgrade the graphics card to the GeForce 8800.

Huh blink.png why a 8800 ? it's a 2007 graphics card and the minimum requirement. Why would someone in 2012 buy a 5 years old graphics card ? I'm missing something ?

On the other hand it'll force you to optimize the game FPS and make sure it's playable on old boards.

Windows 7 home - 32 bits

Intel Quad Q6600 - nVidia GTX 460 1GB - 2 GB RAM