Physics in Leadwerks3D

Josh

"There are over 1000 Unity-based iOS games in the App Store for iPhone and iPad while I don't think any other game tool set -- including Flash -- has more than perhaps 100 or so games. That's because, with those small devices, you really want to be close to the metal and not have a lot of overhead. And Flash has a lot of overhead. There's no telling what share Molehill will get, but we feel we have a pretty big leg up for a while at least."

That's not even 1% of the number of apps in the App Store. I forget the total number of games there, but we have it in our records back at the office. When we conducted our market research we found that the big winner on iOS for game development is Objective-C and C++. By far, that is what most games in the App Store are made with.

Now I'm not wanting to get into arguments one way or the other but to suggest that Unity is not a major player seems fanciful.

I didn't mean to say they aren't a major player. What I mean to point out is:

-They tried to sell their engine to console developers, and it was a massive failure. (One XBox game from a no-name developer).

-There is still no clear winner on mobile. This was actually quite surprising to me when I looked at the numbers. Mobile is still open for anyone to win.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

When we conducted our market research we found that the big winner on iOS for game development is Objective-C and C++. By far, that is what most games in the App Store are made with.

That may well be true but those are pure programming languages not game engines. I'm only challenging your original inference that Unity has not been successful.

If anything, what your research appears to be saying is that the majority of published mobile game designers are talented enough to not even require an 'off the shelf' game engine!

However, marketplaces will always respond to good innovation and I would agree there is no reason why anyone producing a great game engine that really meets the needs of game designers can't take a slice of that marketplace.

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

I see how this whole thread kinda sidetracked to dissing about Unity...

No offense and this is purely my opinion Josh but I think your saying too much about comparing or discussing other engines. (Other engine forums such as C4 moderates the discussion of other engines.)

Just release your product with what you think the client wants the most. If they like it, they will buy it.

After all, this is a development forum, not an investment discussion group.

Blog & Portfolio

Current project: moon.chase.star

Just to state my opinion, I find it refreshing to hear what Josh (the creator) thinks about other products. I don't always agree with him but we don't all agree on everything and so as long as we're adults about it we can learn a good deal about/from each other. Too many things are to corporate these days. People are afraid to say anything because the fear of losing customers if they offend or slip up.

These are the water cooler conversations and I like that Josh includes us in on them. Makes things feel more homely :)

Guest Red Ocktober
Makes things feel more homely smile.png

what home world are you living on... when i dared mention another "engine', i got banned...

didn't make me feel the least bit home[l]y...

--Mike

Will we have dynamic cloth, dynamic fluid systems and soft body's in LE3D?

Eventually, but they aren't high-priority right now. There's some deformable body stuff in Newton 3, if you want to take a look.

what home world are you living on... when i dared mention another "engine', i got banned...

True, I am breaking my own rules. smile.png It's just that when one company's guerilla marketers dominate the conversation, the things I noted don't get noticed until someone points them out.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

FYI, the actual percentage of iOS games made with Unity is 0.83%. (Less than one percent, not 83%.)

That doesn’t surprise me, I think it all comes down to application cost, my guess the majority of mobile game would be cocos2d, Gideros or Corona.

Edit

Breakdown of app distribution on app store.

Most Popular Categories

1 - Games (119408 active)

2 - Education (67681 active)

3 - Entertainment (66361 active)

4 - Books (65159 active)

5 - Lifestyle (58005 active)

As you can see the competition is insane, would be interesting to know the % of 3d games.

My first Adobe purchase was Photoshop 2.0, CS6 was my last! < = >

Probably pretty small. Any programmer can program in 2D space, but add 3D models and the like and it gets way harder.

And it is way easier for a beginner to make a 2D game without a line of code.

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, 16 gigs ram, 3.30GHz Quad Core, GeForce GTX 460 one gig, Leadwerks 2.5, Blender 2.62, Photoshop CS3, UU3D

As you can see the competition is insane, would be interesting to know the % of 3d games.

We have that number somewhere, or at least an estimate. I think the situation on mobile is incredible right now. If you put out a pretty good game on mobile, it's in the top ten by default, because there are so few good games.

..numbers Josh exposed are quite realistic, and i have seen it from very different source, and its pretty much as he said..also, having in mind that Unity crew is running based on massive debts actually, makes things more less attractive for developer, especially consoles, so while whole Unity mantra looks attractive, I have some realistic doubts about going that route, even I do have license by the way..