3D World Studio and Cylindrical Objects?

Guest Red Ocktober

Guest Red Ocktober

i'm interested in seeing pics from any Leadwerks projects that include levels or architecture

with cylindrical objects such as pillars or piping...

in short... i'd like to know if 3DWS can make a round cylinder... and in the alternative, if not... how

close can it come to it...

thx

--Mike

Guest Red Ocktober

thx guys for the info...

pretty much confirmed what i thought...

i was looking at an option for making entire levels in so

i could get away from doing so much in Truespace...

but i guess not yet...

--Mike

Hello.

Making smooth models from 3DWS is relatively simple, provided that you have UU3D.

As example this is my pipe model (3dw and gmf):

smooth_pipes_from_3dws.zip

Below I described in a few steps the way, how I do smoothed models with 3D World Studio 5 and Ultimate Unwrap 3D

1. Export your model from 3D World Studio as DirectX (for example pipe.x).
  2. Run Ultimate Unwrap3D and open exported file.
    - Mark "Flip handedness" on import dialog for correct model orientation.
    After opening you may optionally remove unnecessary "World" bone from bone tree.
  3. Menu: 3D Tools -> Modifiers -> Scene -> Scale
    - Set scaling amt. to 0.0078125 (if 128 3DWS units == 1 meter)
    - Set center = Origin
    - Click Apply, then zoom preview a bit.
  4. Menu: 3D Tools -> Weld model
    - click Apply
    After welding all edges are smoothed. If our model should have some sharp edges there are two ways to achieve them.
    You can manually make seams if you want full control of where to sharp edges, or choose the automatic method - in most cases works quite well.
    I chose the automatic method.
  5. Menu: Select -> All
  6. Menu: 3D Tools -> AutoSmooth Faces
    - Set marker by Face normal (optionally you may modify angle, but for me 35 is ok)
    - Click Ok
  7. Save result as for example pipe_smooth.gmf (or other format).

That's it. Below is a few screenshots to illustrate the above method.

Pipes modelled in 3DWS - generally cylinder after some Slice and Extrude operations (and remove unwanted faces).

post-42-0-46911000-1324423098_thumb.gif

Phases of processing pipes in UU3D

post-42-0-57084200-1324423109_thumb.gif

Finally - a comparison of pipe exported directly from 3DWS to GMF and processed in UU3D.

post-42-0-63948400-1324423118_thumb.gif

I hope this helps. ;)

If someone, who writes English correctly, would like to do mini-tutorial with this, I have nothing against it.

Cheers,

Lupin

Guest Red Ocktober

ooo... very nice little tut there lupin! i will be using this... your english is just fine from what i see... :D

yes... big thanks Lupin... that definitely looks like it'll open up a new set of possibilities...

nice looking castle you've got in the works there Vickie...

--Mike

Another solution is to sue Google Sketch as it has been discussed here in the forums.

The only thing that i don't like in Sketchup is the cylinders also that have too many faces for real time games, and you won't have such control as 3DWS for textures.

Yes smoothing in LE3D will be great, it should be posted on LE3D Features Request perhaps ?

Another question is, will we be able to apply shaders to 3DWS models made inside LE3D editor ?

Stop toying and make games

I hope that something like that would be really possible? Of course 3DS Max is a slight exaggeration ;) , but adding of smoothing (by smoothing groups, or automatic by angle between face normals) and some additional brushes like a ball, a "real" torus (made by revolving a circle), etc. will be very appreciated.

Incorporating 3DWS with some extensions into LE3D editor, would make this tool unique in class. How many engines allow you to edit the geometry in the editor? Source, Unreal,... I do not know more.

Despite the simplicity, the 3DWS allows you to easy create various non-organic lowpoly models - not only the architecture, as some claim.

Here's an example - my chair created entirely with brushes in 3DWS.

chair_3dws.zip

From a distance does not look bad (as placeholder in game prototype - better than a cube :P ).

post-42-0-26094000-1324774521_thumb.gif

post-42-0-84137600-1324774530_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I hope that something like that would be really possible? Of course 3DS Max is a slight exaggeration wink.gif , but adding of smoothing (by smoothing groups, or automatic by angle between face normals) and some additional brushes like a ball, a "real" torus (made by revolving a circle), etc. will be very appreciated.

Incorporating 3DWS with some extensions into LE3D editor, would make this tool unique in class. How many engines allow you to edit the geometry in the editor? Source, Unreal,... I do not know more.

I wouldn't build this into the main editor, but a separate modeling tool would be nice.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I think 3DWS should remain simple if it would be incorporated directly in the world editor for LE3D , with only smooth functionnality !

I don't know if it is complicated or not to implement that smooth feature, but it's i htink only some sort of variable on the model no ?

Under Blender we can turn on/off smooth and 3D engines just take account of this flag ?

3DWS should reamin fro level Building in UT3 style , for general shapes of the level, all other level specific and detailled models should be done under an external program indeed that allow fast and advanced functions like all tools like loop select, loop cut etc ...

Stop toying and make games