Dead Wake zombie game

Game Producer

Zombie survival & barricading (freeware) game: http://www.deadwakegame.com/

Just uploaded a new version:

Download: http://www.deadwakegame.com/downloads/

Game is using Leadwerks 2.24.

Intel Dual Core 3GHz / GeForce GTS 450 - 1024 MB / Driver ver 267.59 / 8 GB RAM / Win 7 - 64 bit / LE2.50 / BMAX 1.48

game producer blog - Dead Wake Zombie Game powered by Leadwerks Engine

Twitter - Unfollow me

this can be a real danger for left for dead,great work love it B)

the real world is in my head

CPU-Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz

CPU Speed 2.40 GHz

RAM 3.5 GB

OS Microsoft Windows XP Professional (Build Service Pack 32600)

Video Card GeForce 8800 GT

Video Card Features-

*Video RAM 512.0 MB

Video RAM 256 MB 512.0 MB

Hardware T&L Yes

Pixel Shader version 3.0

Vertex Shader version 3.0

using:leadwerks2.3,2

[ dreamhead.png

It seems the flashlight doesn't cast any shadows. I hope the game has an option to turn full shadows on, else I wouldn't buy it B)

I would also like to have an option to adjust the ambient light to 0.01/0.01/0.01, since my monitor is tuned correctly and I don't want to mess up with the monitor tuning to play a game.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

I think you can adjust all that in the options menu ... have you actually downloaded it?

AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 Black Edition

2 x 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Memory

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 Ti OC 1024MB GDDR5

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

BlitzMax 1.50 • Lua 5.1 MaxGUI 1.41 • UU3D Pro • MessiahStudio Pro • Silo Pro

3D Coat • ShaderMap Pro • Hexagon 2 • Photoshop, Gimp & Paint.NET

LE 2.5/3.4 • Skyline UE4 • CE3 SDK • Unity 5 • Esenthel Engine 2.0

Marleys Ghost's YouTube Channel Marleys Ghost's Blog

"I used to be alive like you .... then I took an arrow to the head"

It seems the flashlight doesn't cast any shadows. I hope the game has an option to turn full shadows on, else I wouldn't buy it B)

Check "options" ;)

I would also like to have an option to adjust the ambient light to 0.01/0.01/0.01, since my monitor is tuned correctly and I don't want to mess up with the monitor tuning to play a game.

There's increase/decrease brightness in options menu.

Intel Dual Core 3GHz / GeForce GTS 450 - 1024 MB / Driver ver 267.59 / 8 GB RAM / Win 7 - 64 bit / LE2.50 / BMAX 1.48

Twitter - Unfollow me

Excellent, I see that you have thought of all customer needs B)

I think you can adjust all that in the options menu ... have you actually downloaded it?

No, I just clicked on the youtube video. Now I see that there is a demo too!

No, I just clicked on the youtube video. Now I see that there is a demo too!

what was your clue? Download: http://www.deadwakegame.com/downloads/ ? your monitor maybe tuned correctly but your eyes need some work ;) B)

AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 Black Edition

2 x 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Memory

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 Ti OC 1024MB GDDR5

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

BlitzMax 1.50 • Lua 5.1 MaxGUI 1.41 • UU3D Pro • MessiahStudio Pro • Silo Pro

3D Coat • ShaderMap Pro • Hexagon 2 • Photoshop, Gimp & Paint.NET

LE 2.5/3.4 • Skyline UE4 • CE3 SDK • Unity 5 • Esenthel Engine 2.0

Marleys Ghost's YouTube Channel Marleys Ghost's Blog

"I used to be alive like you .... then I took an arrow to the head"

Anyway, I tried the demo, and it doesn't go dark enough, seems there is some hardcoded lower limit for ambientlight.

The shadows look wierdly triangulated when using 1024x1024 res shadows with high quality shadow mode.

When changing the options, they don't activate before you restart the game.

In the default "no shadows" mode the flashlight goes through walls.

There is no FullHD resolution (1920x1080).

i say not many games can run at 1920x1080 and a lot of the time they set at a lower res and make full screen.

Lumooja from what i seen all you did was complain and you had not even tested.

that is not bug testing.

yes making comment is good but you have to have good with bad

beta testing show were the bug are but you normal say what you like as well.

anyway it not bad, yes shadows are not there, but i did not play with it much so can not say much more

i would have a option to change the keys as some people will not like the default

anyway keep it up

Asus ROG STRIX B350-F GAMMING

AMD Ryzen 7 1700x

32 gb ddr4

15 TB raid 5 HD

Nvidia EVGA 1060GTX

Win10 64bit

Well I'm impressed. The most professional opening to a game I've seen yet in Leadwerks. Polished menu and presentation with a good introduction. Sound and graphics quality looks pretty nice. Unfortunately, on my old PC although it runs well and looks great I have no main character being rendered, just the gun. I do have an old ATI driver on this PC so maybe that's the issue. But I also managed to walk through a wall and then off the terrain which crashed the game!

I'll retry it on my nVidea machine which has up to date drivers but I can see you've put a lot of work into this since the last demo you published. Great work Juuso!

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

i say not many games can run at 1920x1080 and a lot of the time they set at a lower res and make full screen.

that is not bug testing.

I disagree with that, because I have a different opinion. I think it's OK to have different opinions about things. I think it's not OK to judge people's opinions and tell them what they should do, because of their different opinions :lol:

Lumooja you make me laugh

am not going to say anything else , please reread what you have said in the section then you understand

why what i say is true lol

Asus ROG STRIX B350-F GAMMING

AMD Ryzen 7 1700x

32 gb ddr4

15 TB raid 5 HD

Nvidia EVGA 1060GTX

Win10 64bit

This is great.

-I love the whole zombie barricade thing. The objects hold well enough to stop the zombies, yet they can push through at a reasonable rate. It's pretty scary when your barriers start breaking down and they come for you.

-The cursor is very hard to see until it turns red. I can't really see it when I move it around, and I just have to wave the mouse until it shows up on a zombie.

-The day time is at least twice as long as it needs to be.

-It's not worth offering a 64x64 shadowmap resolution. Use 256 as the minimum.

-I'd turn shadows on by default, and show them in your video! You want the first impression to look the best. Graphics are a big part of your game, so you need to do more to show them off. If you cripple the visuals by default, then you just have poor visuals and limited compatibility with hardware.

-Add a directional light during day time and make it brighter. I didn't realize at first there was any difference in the lighting.

-I think you should place a few lights in the scene, so the player will naturally be drawn to those "safe" areas where they can see well. That might improve the mechanics a bit, and you would constantly be looking around to see when the zombies were going to jump into your circle of light. Then you could control where the player was supposed to build barricades, and place the advantageous spots under a streetlight or something. As it is, it's hard to see where the player is, and we never really see him lit. A few lights in the scene would really make a huge improvement, in both graphics and gameplay. I mean, the user would be scared to venture into the dark areas after night. The static shadow map options and light optimizations in version 2.31 will help a lot with this.

-There's a lot more with lighting I think you can do. Make it integral to the gameplay. You can have flares, lights in the scene, campfires, flickering strobe-like lights, headlights of a vehicle, lights the player has to do something to enable, like turn on a generator. You have a zombie game with lighting features no one else has, so have fun and take advantage of it!

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

The flashlight could also go out of batteries or when you least want it (electrical contact failure when zombies are incoming).

It could sometime slowly dim out (player is using lead batteries), or it could go out at once (player is using alcali batteries), or it could last much longer and go out pretty quick (player is using lithium-ion batteries).

In case of electrical contact failure, the player could punch it against his hand, leg or head (!), but it would have a chance to completely break then also. He could also remove the batteries and brush them and reinsert them (takes longer, but doesn't have a chance to break the light bulb).

Flashlight batteries are another good idea.

It wasn't clear to me how I was supposed to acquire the shotgun, or where I could pick up ammo or food.

You have a really great concept here that can be made into a unique strong game. I suspect you are listening to the wrong people due to the way you turned the visuals down so much by default, and in the video. I am really excited about the possibilities you could have with the lighting in this. Leadwerks Engine is really good at drawing a lot of shadow-casting lights. Use it to your advantage and make something no one else has. :)

With the recent improvements in lighting, your game will be drawing an order of magnitude fewer polys to render shadows, and all you have to do is adjust a couple settings in the editor:

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Would you mind making a non installer zip version? I don't like installing and I honestly don't know why Microsoft invented it.

The only thing installing does more than unpacking a zip is creating links on the desktop and in the startup folder (which you can do yourself) and WRITING THINGS TO THE REGISTRY, which shouldn't be (and isn't often) used by any application. But however...

Anyway, I tried the demo, and it doesn't go dark enough, seems there is some hardcoded lower limit for ambientlight.

The shadows look wierdly triangulated when using 1024x1024 res shadows with high quality shadow mode.

When changing the options, they don't activate before you restart the game.

In the default "no shadows" mode the flashlight goes through walls.

There is no FullHD resolution (1920x1080).

I suppose I could take the limit off and add that resolution parameter. Thanks for the pointers.

Well that's true. Anyway, downloading as I speak ... I'll reserve my comments until I've had a chance to play it.

(Yaiks! Hopefully something good :D )

that is not bug testing.

lol. I appreciate all the comments. Bring 'em on.

anyway it not bad, yes shadows are not there, but i did not play with it much so can not say much more

i would have a option to change the keys as some people will not like the default

anyway keep it up

Yeh - well you can change the shadows from the options menu.

Change keys - I simply didn't take time to do this. The keys are quite universal so hopefully not too strange...

Well I'm impressed. The most professional opening to a game I've seen yet in Leadwerks. Polished menu and presentation with a good introduction. Sound and graphics quality looks pretty nice.

Tears of joys are running on my cheeks. Thanks mate.

Unfortunately, on my old PC although it runs well and looks great I have no main character being rendered, just the gun. I do have an old ATI driver on this PC so maybe that's the issue. But I also managed to walk through a wall and then off the terrain which crashed the game!

I'll retry it on my nVidea machine which has up to date drivers but I can see you've put a lot of work into this since the last demo you published. Great work Juuso!

Thanks.

This is great.

-I love the whole zombie barricade thing. The objects hold well enough to stop the zombies, yet they can push through at a reasonable rate. It's pretty scary when your barriers start breaking down and they come for you.

Yeh, in some earlier versions you could stop the zombies that they couldn't pass. Well - in this version you'd experience a nice lil surprise :lol: I also really enjoy seeing those barrels flying... ;)

-The cursor is very hard to see until it turns red. I can't really see it when I move it around, and I just have to wave the mouse until it shows up on a zombie.

-The day time is at least twice as long as it needs to be.

-It's not worth offering a 64x64 shadowmap resolution. Use 256 as the minimum.

-I'd turn shadows on by default, and show them in your video! You want the first impression to look the best. Graphics are a big part of your game, so you need to do more to show them off. If you cripple the visuals by default, then you just have poor visuals and limited compatibility with hardware.

-Add a directional light during day time and make it brighter. I didn't realize at first there was any difference in the lighting.

-I think you should place a few lights in the scene, so the player will naturally be drawn to those "safe" areas where they can see well. That might improve the mechanics a bit, and you would constantly be looking around to see when the zombies were going to jump into your circle of light. Then you could control where the player was supposed to build barricades, and place the advantageous spots under a streetlight or something. As it is, it's hard to see where the player is, and we never really see him lit. A few lights in the scene would really make a huge improvement, in both graphics and gameplay. I mean, the user would be scared to venture into the dark areas after night. The static shadow map options and light optimizations in version 2.31 will help a lot with this.

-There's a lot more with lighting I think you can do. Make it integral to the gameplay. You can have flares, lights in the scene, campfires, flickering strobe-like lights, headlights of a vehicle, lights the player has to do something to enable, like turn on a generator. You have a zombie game with lighting features no one else has, so have fun and take advantage of it!

You can press ENTER to skip the day. It's just for the player to get familiar & see some tips.

Very good points about the lights.

The flashlight could also go out of batteries or when you least want it (electrical contact failure when zombies are incoming).

It could sometime slowly dim out (player is using lead batteries), or it could go out at once (player is using alcali batteries), or it could last much longer and go out pretty quick (player is using lithium-ion batteries).

In case of electrical contact failure, the player could punch it against his hand, leg or head (!), but it would have a chance to completely break then also. He could also remove the batteries and brush them and reinsert them (takes longer, but doesn't have a chance to break the light bulb).

:)

Would you mind making a non installer zip version? I don't like installing and I honestly don't know why Microsoft invented it.

The only thing installing does more than unpacking a zip is creating links on the desktop and in the startup folder (which you can do yourself) and WRITING THINGS TO THE REGISTRY, which shouldn't be (and isn't often) used by any application. But however...

Uploading one right now with my crappy internet connection made of wood. This should take about 10 minutes or so (I'll put the download link to www.deadwakegame.com website)

@Richardsimpo123456: thanks.

Twitter - Unfollow me

Bah, you only put positive comments on your game web page, why not the critics too? :lol:

I get to hear those well enough :D

And hey, I put this as well:

"Well I'm impressed. The most professional opening to a game I've seen yet in Leadwerks. Polished menu and presentation with a good introduction. Sound and graphics quality looks pretty nice. (But I also managed to walk through a wall and then off the terrain which crashed the game!)"

You are just jealous for not making it in the front page. :)

Twitter - Unfollow me