Ragdoll on impact

xenonus

It doesn't really work, joints are to weak so it's all jellylike and the ragdoll appears to have death cramps forever.

However looking at the newton source there is some basic support for it:

https://github.com/MADEAPPS/newton-dynamics/blob/19e5f8b34bdcf72e41ca3b547cc19f31a847b4d1/applications/demosSandbox/sdkDemos/demos/BasicRagDoll.cpp

HP Omen - 16GB - i7 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB

We can do it in LE3, i mean a simplified ragdoll with one physic volume box per major bones like :

- head

- torso

- adbomen

- legs

- foreleg

- arms

- forearms

- foot

- hand

Just create physic cubes, link them with joints, init physics setting their Physic mode and give a mass when you need ragdoll effect.

The best is a tool to adjust volumes and attach them to the bones visually , whatever are the bones names.

This tool could be made in any 3D engine or app (LE3 model editor ideally) and would save data to a file you would read in LE3 and use on the character model.

I'm making a game based on robots so they just finish in dust on floor when you destroy them, it's the most easy ragdoll system possible laugh.png

Stop toying and make games

I'm actually working on rag dolls right now, but as shadmar said, the joints are way to elastic and unstable. Also, I'm not sure some of the joint limits are working right, so I might file a big report once I have a time to test them more vigorously. Apparently you can compile Lua wrappings to c++ commands, so I wonder if it's possible to provide access to some of newtons other functions this way.

I experimented with attaching physics volumes to the crawler model, my result was a mesh that fell apart and floated in all directions, it looked quite funny but wasn't really useful.

I think this is a worthwhile feature to add, as ragdolls have become THE standard way of handling dead NPCs in most games now.

One can see why that is when playing the AI and Events demo map and killing one of the first two crawlers on the stairs, the way the animation based death makes the whole thing stick right through the stairs while having the other half float mid air simply proves that ragdolls are the better way.

• Upvote 3

ragdoll.jpg

This is the last demo from Newton i tested.

It's better to wait for native support in LE3 exposing Ragdoll features than making ourselves something not as good and not as fast.

I tested the demo: Standard joints and all works very well.

Among demos you have simple cloth patch : very fast with 0,06 ms tim cost

Simple body physics : 0,03 ms

About exposing Newton functions to LE3 , anyone using C++ could do it ?

Stop toying and make games