Mixing C++ with lua models

Rick

isn't that the point of scripted entities?

AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 Black Edition

2 x 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Memory

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 Ti OC 1024MB GDDR5

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

BlitzMax 1.50 • Lua 5.1 MaxGUI 1.41 • UU3D Pro • MessiahStudio Pro • Silo Pro

3D Coat • ShaderMap Pro • Hexagon 2 • Photoshop, Gimp & Paint.NET

LE 2.5/3.4 • Skyline UE4 • CE3 SDK • Unity 5 • Esenthel Engine 2.0

Marleys Ghost's YouTube Channel Marleys Ghost's Blog

"I used to be alive like you .... then I took an arrow to the head"

Well just asking because everything I've done has been all in lua. The main program being in lua. I assume I have to use the framework in my C++ program and make a global variable for it? I've never used the framework before in C++ I always did things manually myself. Is there an example of this somewhere>

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Well just asking because everything I've done has been all in lua. The main program being in lua. I assume I have to use the framework in my C++ program and make a global variable for it? I've never used the framework before in C++ I always did things manually myself. Is there an example of this somewhere>

Well LoadScene() seems to handle things fine script wise in a test scene I have animations and switches turning things on and off .. but then I only want to use scripting in this fashion with Bmax. Lumooja has posted somewhere the templates for the Wizard or theres this ..

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

That's what I was looking for. Question:

// Set Lua framework object
       SetGlobalObject( "fw", fw );

// Set Lua framework variable
       BP lua = GetLuaState();
       lua_pushobject( lua, fw );
       lua_setglobal( lua, "fw" );
       lua_pop( lua, 1 );

That looks to me like the first line is doing the same thing as the next 4.

The main game script should not be used from C++, but it's meant as standalone lua main program when you write your game completely in lua.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

If I call SendEntityMessage() in C++ will that fire the lua script ReceiveMessage() for that model?

I think so Rick ;)

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

If I call SendEntityMessage() in C++ will that fire the lua script ReceiveMessage() for that model?

Yep. The scripting functionality is built into the model class, so it doesn't matter if it's being used in the editor, a BlitzMax program, a Lua program, or a C++ program. The same routine is called every time. The only tricky difference between the editor and a C++ program is the framework object, but that has been covered in the Lua tutorial.

The whole "framework" thing has been kind of a mess. It works the way it is now, and I am not going to change it, but that's one little detail I feel like the design of could have been better.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Yep. The scripting functionality is built into the model class, so it doesn't matter if it's being used in the editor, a BlitzMax program, a Lua program, or a C++ program. The same routine is called every time. The only tricky difference between the editor and a C++ program is the framework object, but that has been covered in the Lua tutorial.

The whole "framework" thing has been kind of a mess. It works the way it is now, and I am not going to change it, but that's one little detail I feel like the design of could have been better.

You don't think its worth changing while you can? I mean the LUA functionality has only been out for a month or two. Or is it too fundamental a change to dive into now?

Programmer, Modeller

Intel Core i7 930 @ 3.5GHz | GeForce 480 GTX | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Windows 7 Premium x64

Visual Studio 2008 | Photoshop CS3 | Maya 2009

You don't think its worth changing while you can? I mean the LUA functionality has only been out for a month or two. Or is it too fundamental a change to dive into now?

Why would I want to change the design? What's wrong with this approach?

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Why would I want to change the design? What's wrong with this approach?

You tell me hah. I was just commenting on this:

Programmer, Modeller

Intel Core i7 930 @ 3.5GHz | GeForce 480 GTX | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Windows 7 Premium x64

Visual Studio 2008 | Photoshop CS3 | Maya 2009

You tell me hah. I was just commenting on this:

i think he meant that in past tense... like the framework implementation before could have had a better design

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

Oh, I see.

I mean, my original design for the renderer was too low-level for most people to understand. I am not sure what I would have done differently, but it is clear that people want commands like SetBloom(), etc. But then they also want it to be easily customizable. It seems like some kind of higher-level effects layering system would be best, but then it is so hard to use texture memory efficiently and minimize the number of passes. You throw in water reflections, and the whole thing just gets incredibly complex.

I think rasterized graphics are just too damn complicated. There should be a mechanism to read the underlying pixel's value, then we wouldn't have to do all this buffer swapping back and forth. Early depth discard is utilized 0% of the time when rendering post-processing effects, so I don't see why it can't be done.