Recommended graphics hardware?

Guppy

When I wore a younger man's cloths I apparently had all the time in the world and kept abreast of what's what in the graphics cards world.

Today fell very much lost when looking at the offerings they only real players still seem to be Nvidia and ATI ( now eaten by AMD ) - but the names and numbers could could be random hieroglyphs for all the sense they make seem to have little to no bearing on the actual performance of the card.

My current card is a XFX black HD 6850 that ended up being so noisy I had to replace the cooling assembly my self, while it resulted in a quiet card it's was a nerve wrecking experience I've no intention of ever repeating.

If I were to replace that card what is recommended ( silent, is very important to me ), and is it even worth it yet? ( my card isn't really featured in comparison charts anymore, which is usually a bad sign )

I realize that the last part is somewhat subjective, I no longer have time to fiddle all day with my computer for a few % more performance - so to me "worth it" needs a massive performance increase.

System:

Linux Mint 17 ( = Ubuntu 14.04 with cinnamon desktop ) Ubuntu 14.04, AMD HD 6850, i5 2500k

I don't really follow card trends either but your mention of graphics charts reminds me of what I do first when I shop for a card - check here:

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

The 6850 is on there. Not near the top but not near the bottom either.

I guess my question would be how everything performs for you. For example, if you're comfortable with 30fps and you're getting at least that on most games (if you play), it sounds like you're fine for now.

• Upvote 1

Been spying this one http://www.msi.com/product/vga/N760_TF_2GD5OC.html goes for about 230 EUR locally which isn't that bad.

But I'll properly hold off for a while, I don't yet feel the cards age in every day use.

Thanks for the chart gamecreator that was really helpful.

System:

Linux Mint 17 ( = Ubuntu 14.04 with cinnamon desktop ) Ubuntu 14.04, AMD HD 6850, i5 2500k

Well about that - like I mentioned on google+ it doesn't solve the problem for me, it does increase my frame rate by quite a lot - but that only seems to compound the problem.

I'll try to figure out a way to throttle the engine this weekend ( unless you've a secret "limit updates to x" function tucked away somewhere? ;) )

Also clean out your PM box

System:

There's also the GLXSwapInterval thing. I disabled it because the extension detection is pretty sketchy.

I can receive PMs again. Pesky 1000 inbox limit.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.