[3.1 Standard] Install fails

Guppy

(Mint 16 - bascially ubuntu with a different UI)

"Launcher" stalls at 50% - pressing any key closes the window, if I launch from the console I notice;

~/Leadwerks$ ./Launcher
./Leadwerks: error while loading shared libraries: libglib-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Bit odd - so I checked install.sh and it seems to be linking a lot of 32 bit libs, and what's more while "Launcher" is 64bit "Leadwerks is 32bit"

morten@guppybox:~/Leadwerks$ file Launcher
Launcher: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.24, BuildID[sha1]=0x8558d5857c9aeb1689ed048d6134d7ac420cffd3, stripped
morten@guppybox:~/Leadwerks$ file Leadwerks
Leadwerks: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (GNU/Linux), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.24, BuildID[sha1]=0xd958f10111e42f01d6439fe55bea34c347510b69, stripped

and no I'm not missing opengl

$ glxinfo | grep vendor
server glx vendor string: ATI
client glx vendor string: ATI
OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

System:

Linux Mint 17 ( = Ubuntu 14.04 with cinnamon desktop ) Ubuntu 14.04, AMD HD 6850, i5 2500k

I've tried on mint16 aswell, I got it running but editor crashes on menu selections since appmenu:i386 isnt supported. (i'm guessing)

However ubuntu 13.10 works just fine.

MaxGui wich is what leadwerks editor is buildt in, so you might want to check out the blitzmax forums for further support.

HP Omen - 16GB - i7 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB

Well if The editor (hopefully not The engine aswell) is intentionally 32bit that may explain it - it would need 32 bit libs - any chance we could get a 64bit build? I would rather not polute my system with i386/32bit libs.

(Sendt from my phone - sorry about typos)

System:

Linux Mint 17 ( = Ubuntu 14.04 with cinnamon desktop ) Ubuntu 14.04, AMD HD 6850, i5 2500k

Wasn't 64bit an extended Kickstarter that didn't get reached?

$35,000 - 64-bit Builds: We’ll provide 64-bit builds of the Leadwerks engine library, along with the 32-bit library. (We decided to provide this for Linux by default. The stretch goal is for 64-bit builds on Windows and Mac.)

so yeah.

ofcourse it specifically says "engine" not "editor", kinda hoping the editor will be 64bit aswell - not much point in having a the editor run legacy mode

System:

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade

(even tho my update center says my system is up to date)

and now ./install is ready to polute my system with 279mb worth of 32bit/i386 packages ... yay -.-

hopefully this will solve it

Thanks Shad, I'll try it once the installer is done mangling my system

Edit:

I'm at the exact same point as you with out that script ( - just forcing update/upgrade ) and it fails to resolv depencancies of legacy packages:

Note, selecting 'unity-gtk2-module:i386' instead of 'appmenu-gtk:i386'
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
unity-gtk2-module:i386 : Depends: unity-gtk-module-common:i386 (>= 0.0.0+13.10.20130716.1-0ubuntu1) but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

good stuff :(

System:

The engine library and script interpreter is built in 64-bit mode, which is why 64-bit is a requirement. The editor can only be built in 32-bit mode.

I'm going to move this since Mint isn't officially supported.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Well I started to wonder just why leadwerks is attempting to pull in unity packages ( the desktop enviroment, not the other unity ) and came across this

I installed recently Cinnamon on my xubuntu 11.10 everything was ok, but when I log in into cinnamon it shows a menu bar on top, and I can’t hide it, if choose the dual bar display, the menu bar goes behind the bar with the applets

Edit by Clem: That’s Ubuntu’s “appmenu”. Look for *appmenu* packages and remove them from your system.

(Clem refering to Clement Lefebvre - lead dev of cinnamon and founder of mint)

So to sum it up Leadwerks for linux requires you to a 32bit program that requires you to use the unity desktop environment ( the single thing that has cost ubuntu to loose most users ever )?

No other gtk app has such ludicrous requirements.

But searching even further for a soultion

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=101357

Ignoring the messy advice of spamming symlinks instead of letting ldconfig do it's job we find this nugget:

Any time you customize a Linux distro' date=' in any way, you are branching away from the main/supported/official version and setting yourself up for problems. [/quote']

(JoshK - presumably the very same)

I'll admit I no longer have any confidence in the success of this project - that's very sad sad.png

System:

Using Ubuntu 13.10 (64bit) and have no problem here.

(My reply to you went missing it seems.)

By "no problem" you mean that you were able to guess to replace appmenu-gtk:i386 with unity-gtk2-module (no prefix)?

After doing that it also "works" on mint 16 ( = ubuntu 13.10 sans unity desktop ) but every time a menu or dialog is called it segfaults with a free() - presumably the previous menu handle is being forcibly freed with out checking if it was initialized. The segfault always occurs at the same address regardless of what menu I call - unfortunately the editor does not come with debug symbols.

After 3-4 crashes the system locks up completely

System:

Installed a clean Ubuntu 13.10

Selected latest nVidia in drivers

Did run shadmars lw1310 script

Opened leadwerks - no problem

Havent tested more thant that yet though

Would be good if you could try to open any menu - rigth click in the 3d space, save a file or the like to see if your immune to the 13.10 bug

http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/topic/9245-linux-leadwerks-crashes-on-opening-file-dialogues/

System:

Tested a bit more. All seems to work as expected.

Open, Save, Right clicking, Running etc etc.

That's very odd - guessing you've not updating the system?

What's the result of

aptitude versions libpng12-0

System:

I wouldn't even dream of say that I have any deeper knowledge on the Linux system.

Yes, strange. Wish I could help sad.png. Could it be something else you have installed on your systems that causes the problem, as you get segfault on both mint and ubuntu

AV MX Linux