FBX incorrect bone import / bones missing

bandrewk

Hello,

if you import a model that has bones with zero vertices (no weight) attached they will not be recognized inside Leadwerks. A workaround to this is attaching vertices to the bone or adding a new children to it. Leadwerks will now recognize the bone, though not the newly added children. Here's a picture to demonstrate this behavior:

nf48zb.png

Thank you.

. Blender is no all-time god like solution.

I have exported lot of times and each successfull from Blender animations without any problem.

I would say Blender si the tool to use.

Today all engines allow some FBX or Collada import general file system.

The problem is you seem to have only UU3D format of your 3D model sad.png

You have UU3D , so could you export to Collada, i can try import it in Blender andcheck your model ?

Stop toying and make games

if you import a model that has bones with zero vertices (no weight) attached they will not be recognized inside Leadwerks. A workaround to this is attaching vertices to the bone or adding a new children to it.

Not a bug. This is intended behavior. The fbxmdl converter will automatically prune empty leaf bones.

This is intended to optimize the bone count by removing useless bones.

To keep the bones, you can assign vertices to them, as you mentioned.

So, this issue is not related to Leadwerks. The bones have already been pruned away in your MDL file.

If you want to keep these bones, then you should make a case for it.

Explain why it's important to keep them.

Ultimate Unwrap 3D: http://www.unwrap3d.com

Leadwerks has a limit of 256 bones per model. I tend to agree that trimming unneeded bones will probably prevent more problems than the alternative.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

That sounds logical and makes sense. I was disappointed because it is not written anywhere in the documentation. But since this is an expected behavior, it is not a problem at all. In this case it was important to keep some of those bones because the model is a weapon and the bones were marking positions that I need to access programmatically i.e. "FIRESPOT", "SMOKE", "BRASS". Thank you for the clarification Bolt and Josh.

Well , i agree , it should be in some "FBX import" page in LE3 site some details, to avoid each time having new coming people loosen.

@bandrewk :

You don't need bones to mark positions on your weapon , you can, just drag and drop your weapon in the scene, than attach "Pivots" as child of the weapon and place them where you need your marking positions.

Stop toying and make games

Well , i agree , it should be in some "FBX import" page in LE3 site some details, to avoid each time having new coming people loosen.

@bandrewk :

You don't need bones to mark positions on your weapon , you can, just drag and drop your weapon in the scene, than attach "Pivots" as child of the weapon and place them where you need your marking positions.

I can't do anything like that since I'm using 3.0 (C++) and prefabs are completely broken there. Bone markers are favored by my artists too.

• 1 month later...

Josh, can the prune bones feature be disabled as a switch?

Maybe leave it on by default, but turn it off by a switch, like -pboff ?

Something for advanced users who know what they're doing.

Yes, I can make use of that. I'll just add a checkbox in the general options that allows the user to enable or disable this setting on a global level, then pass this setting to the converter in the command line.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.