Collision with purchased models

Rick

So the models I purchased for my game week competition have no backfaces (is that how you'd describe that?). Anything you can't see, the model doesn't have. This makes it very very "thin", which I'm guessing if I make the physics shape based on the mesh is why people can pass through if going fast enough.

My question is, given the above, what are my options? If I use convex option when creating physics shape it's just a big square box and doesn't allow for going inside the little indented areas of the walls. Manually creating colliders would be error prone and a pain. Do I even have any best case options?

which I'm guessing if I make the physics shape based on the mesh is why people can pass through if going fast enough.

I exprimented that problem with big 3D object, moving one object super fast, it could go trhought large walls that all have backfaces.

It's more a physic bug ( .... again :( )

I would suggest the abilty to import our own custom collision shape in model editor.

usefull specially for some grouped complex objects , where you need just the character not beeing able to walk throught or on them.

Stop toying and make games

Regardless of engine I would only use physics based from the mesh on the simplest of objects, doing so can have a huge impact on the performance of your project.

I always create my own collision from simple primitives in my modelling application, the lowest level lod or csg depending on engine.

Might sound like a pain but it saves you time in the long run

My first Adobe purchase was Photoshop 2.0, CS6 was my last! < = >

@Athos I do have swept on but still doesn't seem to work.

@knocks I can't model worth anything, even basic stuff in almost any modelling package, but I think I'll use the CSG in the engine and get basic shapes around the dungeon models for collision. I can then save them as prefabs so the model and csg will always be together when I place them. It's just very tedious and boring :)

@Rick :

I understand your point of view, you program, and just find or purchase models you need.

Yes let's hope LE3 to resolve physic problems and have a solution for your problem that anyone oculd have in the future using same style of models.

I think people who make and sell these models should state whether they are enterable or just a façade.Newton has never been very good on thin objects.

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++

I think people who make and sell these models should state whether they are enterable or just a façade

Nope it's not to a 3D artist to guess what engine will you use , will it be able to collide or not.

They provide 3D art, collision/programming problems are on your side only indeed laugh.png

Another super known 3D engine works well with such modular walls.

Hope LE3 will push up physics.

Can I just say, as yougroove I understand the fustration and have in the past seen you have had lots of issues with leadwerks and collisions, but using the process that I was always tought has never failed me. And its simple, regardless of the model, you also model (or commision someone to model) a BASIC collision model for you use, or in leadwerks convert to a polymesh. Its easy...

The basic model really is basic, no details just block out so it covers most of the model. This means you dont have to worry about models you purchase, make or download.

I know not everyone can model, but creating a collision model is not complex modelling, its covered on nearly every "The Hello World of modelling" tutorial on the internet for which im sure there is one for every modelling package out there.

I dont think its always down to the engine, or leadwerks in this case. Leadwerks needs a collsion model, if your model is basic enough then you can try to use that, otherwise you model one.

Andy

The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do.

Leadwerks Game-Ready 3D Models:https://sellfy.com/gib3d

Because the physics performance is so poor, I end up with getting 15fps in my little scene, which makes my character move fast then slow then fast etc, and I'm still able to go through the CSG objects I put around these models. This physics performance is horrible compared to LE 2. This is insane.

And its simple, regardless of the model, you also model (or commision someone to model) a BASIC collision model for you use, or in leadwerks convert to a polymesh. Its easy...

Yep, but Rick case, is it would like planes and simple meshes work directly.

I just tested planes collision on two other engines : no problem all si fine.

LE3 need improvments here, or some Bullet physics Kickstarter wink.png