Terrain in Leadwerks 3

cassius

When we get terrain for le3 will it be based on le2 terrain system with its own editor or will it be more like the terrain generater in 3dws?

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++

The terrain tools will resemble Leadwerks 2 tools, except I'm using a virtual texturing system instead of splatting, so it should remove the limits we had on number of layers.

I actually start working on terrain today. The tessellation capabilities of OpenGL 4 will be interesting.

• Upvote 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

What do you mean by "virtual texturing system" as opposed to splatting? I'm getting a little nervous here, since tools like World Machine give you wonderful splat maps with actual geological meaning (like erosion, deposition etc.) which I would like to continue using in Leadwerks 3.

This had the negative side effect of only supporting 5 paint layers.

That's not fully true, you could use more then 5 textures by having multiple "splat"-maps or split the terrain in chunks where every chunk (16x16 or 32x32 usually) can have his own 5 textures.

Raster,

What do you mean by "virtual texturing system" as opposed to splatting? I'm getting a little nervous here, since tools like World Machine give you wonderful splat maps with actual geological meaning (like erosion, deposition etc.) which I would like to continue using in Leadwerks 3.

The appearance will be the same (if done right) but internally the rendering is handle differently. This could allow a lot more texture layers without being limited by the GPU number of texture slots.
  • Upvote 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I am VERY excited the hear this. GO JOSH!

Can't wait for it to come out. Is there a way to get push notifications when a new version of leadwerks 3 comes out?

Right now I just have to run the updater to see if there is anything new?

Mike

• Upvote 1

MSI Dominator Laptop - Core i7 - 8 cores / 3ghz / 32gb RAM / Nvidia 980 GTX with 16gb vram / SSD drives

MSI Dominator Laptop - Core i7 - 8 cores / 3ghz / 32gb RAM / Nvidia 1060 GTX with 8gb vram / SSD drives

Alienware Laptop - Core i7 - 8 cores / 3ghz / 32gb RAM / Nvidia 1070 Ti with 16gb vram / SSD drives

My Patreon page: https://www.patreon.com/michaelfelkercomposer

My music for sale: https://www.tgcstore.net/category/513?format=all&perpage=30&textures=undefined&price=all&order=default&artists[]=87213

Custom synths and sounds - http://www.supersynths.com