FBX import not working

N815

Go to solution Solved by Josh,

• Solution

When an FBX file is present in a project folder, the editor will automatically convert this file to Leadwerks MDL format, which can be loaded by the editor and engine.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

In Microsoft 3D Viewer and Blender, I see one texture applied to the entire model:

image.thumb.jpeg.90ce593827b12163ee691a19ed557d96.jpeg

In Leadwerks I see this:

image.thumb.jpeg.47b6538e1b1572a7b66239aa246fdb78.jpeg

You can right-click on a surface and select a material to be applied to the model, then resave the model:

image.thumb.jpeg.f371ab1967e8d9e4c4de64bb7f8b8346.jpeg

However, I do not know why the materials in the FBX export seems to not match what you are seeing in your modeling program.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

If you open the model (double-click the MDL file in the asset browser) then you can right-click on a mesh in the hierarchy tree and click the "Select Material" menu. This lets you select a material to apply to the subobject. You can then save the MDL file and it will be saved with the correct material paths.

30 minutes ago, Josh said:

If you open the model (double-click the MDL file in the asset browser) then you can right-click on a mesh in the hierarchy tree and click the "Select Material" menu. This lets you select a material to apply to the subobject. You can then save the MDL file and it will be saved with the correct material paths.

oh, there are only 2 selections for textures, but originally there should be 7

:mellow:

2 hours ago, DirectXY said:

by the way, do you have plans for a 64bit version?

Yes, there is a new engine with higher required specs called Ultra, and it is 64-bit only.

2 minutes ago, Josh said:

Yes, there is a new engine with higher required specs called Ultra, and it is 64-bit only.

what system requirements are we talking?

I have 16GB Ram but a low-end AMD Ryzen 5 3500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx 2.10 GHz

that engine looks promising

the 59 deal would probably suffice in my case when the AMD part will be alright to hit the road ( ? )

it's only a hobby these days, as I'm retired and enjoy the more less competitive side of 3D

It is, but just be aware that AMD cards will currently display some bad artifacts. I cant say for sure yet whether this is due to a driver bug or an error on my part.

1 hour ago, Josh said:

It is, but just be aware that AMD cards will currently display some bad artifacts. I cant say for sure yet whether this is due to a driver bug or an error on my part.

I remember something similar with Radeon Pro Render on Blender. But at that time my specs were even worst than now (Ryzen 3 6 GB Ram or something Quadcore)

Now Radeon on Blender is for me a constant crash and miss. I can't get it to work. So I stick with Cycles.

In the above, I figure you tested on dedicated AMD Chips ?

16 minutes ago, DirectXY said:

Now Radeon on Blender is for me a constant crash and miss. I can't get it to work. So I stick with Cycles.

Cycles are fine since Leadwerks uses Blinn-Phong shading. I usually just bake the AO and everything else I do is in gimp. I'm not a professional artist! :D

Also, you might find this helpful.

• Upvote 1

Cyclone - Ultra Game System - Component PreprocessorTex2TGA - Darkness Awaits Template (Leadwerks)

If you like my work, consider supporting me on Patreon!

3 hours ago, reepblue said:

Cycles are fine since Leadwerks uses Blinn-Phong shading. I usually just bake the AO and everything else I do is in gimp. I'm not a professional artist! :D

Also, you might find this helpful.

Thanks. You are way ahead of me.

BTW, you wouldn't know how to make a halfway good looking glass shader, would you?

2 hours ago, DirectXY said:

BTW, you wouldn't know how to make a halfway good looking glass shader, would you?

Here's the glass shader I used in Cyclone. You'll have to write code that'll replace texture slot 7 of the material with the probe's cubemap texture. 

unknown.png?ex=65519723&is=653f2223&hm=f

LeadwerksGlass.zip

Cyclone - Ultra Game System - Component PreprocessorTex2TGA - Darkness Awaits Template (Leadwerks)

If you like my work, consider supporting me on Patreon!