Various smaller Editor bugs (spinner, etc.)

klepto2

Go to solution Solved by Josh,

I know you @Josh are still working in these things, but i think to document them here is practical as well:

These are some minor bugs i encountered while using the Editor:

• The Spinner needs some adjustments, currently the up/down buttons in-/decrement in 1.0 steps, which is annoying on some properties like material displacement or near ranges
  • The Generate-Material Option stores the textures relative to the material, not relative to the base path
    • leads to empty materials when opened in editor
  • some elements using a Scrollable area are initially not drawn correctly. (options-> Viewports(tab)) After first resize of the parent the items are displayed correctly
  • Tab cycling through controls doesn't work
  • Delete key is not supported in input controls
  • Input-Boxes with spinning loose value if you first enter the a value in the textbox and directly use the array buttons without leaving the control prior to the button press.
  • ColorControl:
    • Using the spinner doesn't update the "color icon" (first click updates the button)
    • Selecting a color via the dropdown and using the spinners afterwards resets the value to the previous one

Thais it for know ;) more to come.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Intel® Core™ i7-8550U @ 1.80 Ghz 
  • 16GB RAM 
  • INTEL UHD Graphics 620
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit-Version

10 hours ago, klepto2 said:

some elements using a Scrollable area are initially not drawn correctly. (options-> Viewports(tab)) After first resize of the parent the items are displayed correctly

Is this still happening? What is the scaling factor of your main display?

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

10 hours ago, klepto2 said:

The Generate-Material Option stores the textures relative to the material, not relative to the base path leads to empty materials when opened in editor

Fixed

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

11 hours ago, klepto2 said:

some elements using a Scrollable area are initially not drawn correctly. (options-> Viewports(tab)) After first resize of the parent the items are displayed correctly

I believe this is fixed now.

• Upvote 1

Ok, here is a first list of spinners: 

• Map/Environment
    • Gravity (should be in 0.01 steps at least) 
    • FogRanges and Angles (maybe both to 0.1 ranges)
  • Transform
    • All properties for position, scale and rotation should be with a lower increment. (position could maybe adjusted to the grid snap)
  • Physics
    • Mass should be float instead of int
    • Friction/Damping and Elastacity should have at least 0.1 steps
  • Light
    • Range (at least 0.1)
  • Probe
    • Fades should be 0.01 or 0.1
  • Camera
    • Ranges ( should be 0.1 steps)
  • Navigation
    • All float values should be at least 0.1 (some maybe better 0.01)
  • Options:
    • General
      • Texel size should be 0.1
    • Viewport
      • Gridsize should be 0.01

Additionally i would suggest to add some functionality to the spinners eg:

• holding ctrl while clicking increases the increment
  • holding shift decreases the increment
  • some editors add some timing to the spinners:
    •  if you do a single click it uses the lowest increment possible
    • if you hold down the button it starts with the lowest increment, but raises the increment in time steps eg, after every second the increment goes up by one digit.
  • also some editors support some dragging features to alter the value in the textboxes
  • Intel® Core™ i7-8550U @ 1.80 Ghz 
  • 16GB RAM 
  • INTEL UHD Graphics 620
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit-Version

8 hours ago, klepto2 said:
  • Physics
    • Mass should be float instead of int
    • Friction/Damping and Elastacity should have at least 0.1 steps
  • Probe
    • Fades should be 0.01 or 0.1

I agree with these recommendations. If the range of allowed values is 0 / 1 or -1 / 1 then it makes sense to move in small increments. However, for the other values it does not make sense to me, and moving in really small increments seems like it would be annoying.

The spinner supports any double float values you type in, so even if the spinner increments are 1.0, you can still type in exact small numbers like 0.125.