How will they know if you make game assets with unlicensed/cracked software?

Vida Marcell

Using professional software doesn't automatically make you a real game developer.

After getting very comfortable with Illustrator, I find it more valuable to master free, multiplatform software with brownie points with it being open s source. FOSS allows you to download any version at anytime so if you don't like an implementation, you can always grab the version you liked the most. 

Multiplatform support prevents you from being chained to a specific OS. I switch between Windows and macOS and I hope one day to develop my games using Linux as my main OS. That goal is now more achievable because I use things like Blender and Gimp. 

If X software ends up working better for you for some reason, that's ok. It's why I don't use inkscape and elected to pay for Affinity Design instead.

To answer your question, you'll probably get away with pirated software but it's probably not a home run idea if you plan to start a business.

Cyclone - Ultra Game System - Component PreprocessorTex2TGA - Darkness Awaits Template (Leadwerks)

If you like my work, consider supporting me on Patreon!