LE3 question about initial platforms supported

adshead

Hi,

I've been monitoring these forums with interest and I get the impression that a release of LE3 is imminent. I'm very interested in its features, particularly the CSG modelling and I have an idea for a 3D game in mind but I want to release on the Android platform first.

When LE3 is released will it support building for Android from the very start? This could make the difference between me waiting for its release or having to choose a different tool.

Also, are you able to give any more detail on what the process will be for building for the Android platform? For example will I need just the standard Android SDK or will I need to install things like the Android NDK and Cygwin in order to build for Android?

Thanks

Android will be supported from the very start.

Josh has mentioned in the past I think that he want's to streamline development for it as much as possible to make it easy to setup. Either way there will be documentation on how to use it for Android. You will need the Android SDK & NDK and probably Cygwin as well but IMO I'd wait until you get the official documentation where Josh is likely to explain exactly how to set it up to work nicely with Leadwerks.

STS - Scarlet Thread Studios

AKA: Engineer Ken

Fact: Game Development is hard... very bloody hard.. If you are not prepared to accept that.. Please give up now!

Settings up the Android compiling tools is pretty simple. I've made instructions how to set them up for another engine, and I think it should work quite similar for LE3. It's really just about following the instructions and not take any shortcuts. Install few SDKs or Zip files into certain locations, set a few system env vars like like JAVA_HOME, ANT_HOME to point to the their directories, and that's it. With a single command like ant you can just compile your C++ code into a Android .apk file, no need for Eclipse ****.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Actually I have another question.

Does anybody know if we will be able to test/evaluate something built with LE3 on a real device BEFORE having to commit to purchasing the software? Many existing SDKs let you do this and I think its a really good way to gain confidence in an engine's abilities before laying down hard earned cash.

There's no need for that. You trust that it will be the best. Unity sucks, Shiva has some really nice shadows, but no C++ coding. LE3 has to beat Shiva.

I'm afraid I can't take you seriously when you say Unity sucks :) its by far the most popular engine for mobile development with literally hundreds of successful mobile games built with it - so that speaks for itself. Shiva allows you to test on a real device using their trial version.

For LE3 to gain traction in the mobile market I would say it is essential that the trial version offers a way of testing performance on a real device to prove that it is on par or even excels when compared against other engines. Otherwise you will lose the interest of many indie developers who will not be willing to simply 'trust' that it is better.

please keep in mind that mika/lumooja/metatron/canardian has no affiliation with LE other than as a user... he just likes to pretend he works for Josh, so you can take his responses with a grain of salt. As far as a demo version available to run on mobile devices, josh has mentioned in his blogs using simulators, but no official mention what the exact plans are... best bet is to wait for Josh to answer as he would be the only one that actually knows.

• Upvote 1

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

When LE3 is released will it support building for Android from the very start? This could make the difference between me waiting for its release or having to choose a different tool.

Android will be supported from day one.

Also, are you able to give any more detail on what the process will be for building for the Android platform? For example will I need just the standard Android SDK or will I need to install things like the Android NDK and Cygwin in order to build for Android?

For Android compiling, we include everything you need. I put the Android SDK and NDK in there, and you don't need cygwin or anything else anymore. You still have to compile with eclipse, but it's a lot simpler than things used to be.

I'm afraid I can't take you seriously when you say Unity sucks smile.png its by far the most popular engine for mobile development with literally hundreds of successful mobile games built with it - so that speaks for itself. Shiva allows you to test on a real device using their trial version.

"Sucks" is a subjective term that depends on what you value. If you judge your game engines by how much VC money they are gambling with then it might be a good fit for you.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Thanks for the info Josh, sounds like the build process will be fine and its good that Android support is there.

Are you able to disclose whether there will be an evaluation version and what it will allow you to test? Somebody suggested you'll be able to test on the simulator/emulator but the Android emulator sucks :) and isn't a good indication of real performance.

Thanks for the info Josh, sounds like the build process will be fine and its good that Android support is there.

Are you able to disclose whether there will be an evaluation version and what it will allow you to test? Somebody suggested you'll be able to test on the simulator/emulator but the Android emulator sucks smile.png and isn't a good indication of real performance.

I don't know yet. There's enough people that want to buy it immediately, that I am focusing on them first.

Supposedly the Android emulator now supports OpenGL 2.0, but I could never get it work work. I left it running for about 20 minutes and nothing appeared. Which isn't surprising, considering it took ten minutes for the "Hello Android" app to start.

I plan on submitting our example game to both app stores, so you will be able to play it on Android and iOS.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

My friend bought a Nexus 7, and its performance is quite horrible with 3D games compared to my old S2. I think you can get S2 now really cheap and it's still a highend 3D phone.

The difference shows when you use realtime shadows in a 3D game, like I did in my CellBall game. Works with 600FPS on S2, but only 10FPS on Nexus 7.