LE 3 - a question

Xaron

For scripting there is some plugins in other engines even AAA like UT3 that allow visual programming and it works for 3D artists :

Example :

http://www.indiedb.com/games/xenoid-maze

I simply don't understand where this insistence on having to be a one man show comes from, very few people spend there working lives on their own, we work as teams and it's this direct working relationship that really pays the dividends!

I'll give you my point of view on game making and lonewolves indies :

If you look at mobile platforms you'll see hundred and hundred of one man show ... or should it be simply named : "one man game" ?

Lot of us don't think on living from that , but take that as a passion and would like to publish a game indeed :)

And don't be so strict to the so incredible AAA notation and games ....

Stop thinking you will make some AAA game , you'll never ;caus this is an army of skilled 3D artist and elite coders behind big studios , not a little team. Even with UT3 engine io doubt you could for example create only one complete first level of "Gears of War".

And i never seen something outstanding made by an indie team that could reach the content and quality of big studios (Crysis, GTA4 etc ...)

So , yes we don't want to remake AAA realistic graphics, we do'nt want to remake Crysis or Skyrim ....

You can find them for some bucks, so i prefer paying 10 $ more than paying less for some indie game very very far from these games content.

Some example :

stupid FPS : Serious Sam 2 game can be found for 5$ easy, why should i pay more or same price for some indie game , very far from the quality and content ? And i never found in indie scene some FPS having that quality and all that levels and content.

I just hope all people that wil use LE3 won't target AAA games only, and believe me , there is very ver few quality indie games on PC each year. For example the only one i could find great indie AAA is Trine 2 (even if it is just my opinion)

There is a real market for indie PC original games, remakes, and games that have some world or gameplay that escapes the traditionnal repetitive patterns of "medieval RPG", "modern FPS" games ...

Mobile games made by a person are a lot already, and made with this engine also : "U""N" .. ... "Y"

Stop toying and make games

Mobile games made by a person are a lot already, and made with this engine also : "U""N" .. ... "Y"

FYI, we found that about 70% of the games in the iOS app store are made with native code, not managed code. Less than 1% of the games in the iOS App Store are made with Unity. There's still a lot of room left in mobile for new technology.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I'll give you my point of view on game making and lonewolves indies :

Ah yes the Lonewolves!

From my experience:

Successful Lonewolf developer = 0.0001% of the population. I can count the number of people in this forum who have that ability on one hand.

Successful Lonewolf developer = waits for no one and nothing as he/she has the skills required already and the drive and determination to succeed no matter what.

Successful Lonewolf developer = does not need game engine software that makes it easy for them as that actually detracts from their ability to make their game by usually placing severe constraints on what they can and cannot do. These people are the classic example of people most likely to code their own solutions.

Then there are the rest of us who can always benefit from the help of others and by pooling our skill sets. Game development is what it is. Even to bring a simple game to completion is a fairly complex task. I'm just giving what I believe to be good advise.

Lonewolves of course don't require this, but then Lonewolves won't even be here reading this!

• Upvote 1

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

If a terrain is created using the Leadwerks 2 world editor, can it be loaded or used in the Leadwerks 3 world editor ?

Terrain support is not built-in yet, but I was able to use Shadmar's terrain shader here:

http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/blog/1/entry-990-terrain-test/

My guess is someone will write a loader for LE2 terrain within the first week. I have bigger plans for the terrain system I want to implement, but this is a good solution until then,

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Can we please have auto-complete, intenseness feature in the LUA editor - similar to what we get to see in Eclipse PDT - it can help a lot in quick learning.

You can actually configure Code::Blocks to compile Lua, and when you copypaste the keywords into a language layer, it will also intellisense and autocomplete (much faster and less space consuming than visual studio (which creates a 30MB file each time)).

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Autocomplete is not posible with lua do to the fact that it is dynamic and has lots of hidden closures. There is a version which is achievable by finding words that are around the text you have written and using those. The actual functions built into the language can be autocompleted such as table.insert.

Attempts can be made to try to use static analysys https://github.com/XuJiandong/lua-ctags and will get you further, but will always let you down.

Unless your code editor shares the same lua state/context as the running application autocomplete is never going to be as good as you are used to in a static language.

It is generally better to have good syntax highlighting and develop skills with grep/ack. This is the price you pay for using a dynamic language which I consider to be worth the exchange for speed of development and flexibility.