I found Leadweks in TGC website

Juggernaut

• 2 weeks later...

Do you know of any runnable demo game made using leadweks

I mean any demo show reel that I can run and see ?

I see no mention of particle system in the feature list. Is it absent ?

Secondly Wikipedia states that the engine is written in BlitzMAX ( a BASIC language ). Does that mean it will be slower than C++ engines ?

that video is from the upcoming LE3...

for LE2 look here:

http://www.leadwerks...o_Particles.pdf with this video: http://www.leadwerks...o_Particles.wmv

and a lua version: http://www.leadwerks...es-with-lua-r76

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

ok Thank you for the links.

Can I use animated textures (animated gifs and pngs as textures) covering the surface of entity or mesh ?

Inbuilt support for animated textures on entity surface gives a quick alternative for particle effect without doing lots of coding.

• 4 weeks later...

If I am unable to upgrade to LE 3, my license for LE 2 will remain valid forever - right or wrong ?

I see SSDO mentioned in this URL : http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/page/Products/le2/_/features/rendering-r10

Post-Processing Effects

Leadwerks Engine supports the following effects:

• Volumetric light scattering ("Godrays")
  • Screen-space directional occlusion (SSDO)
  • High dynamic range rendering (HDR)
  • Near and far depth of field (DOF)
  • Edge anti-alias
  • Bloom
  • Underwater effects

But in the framework command set - http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/page/Documentation/le2/_/command-reference/framework/

Leadwerks Framework is a set of commands of the Leadwerks Engine to handle advanced rendering techniques. It allows many post-processing effects to be combined without interfering with one another.

Features easy straight forward setup and managing for these effects:

• Distance fog
  • Skyboxes
  • HDR / Iris adjustment
  • Bloom
  • Antialias
  • Near and far depth-of-field (DOF)
  • Volumetric light scattering (God rays)
  • Screen-space ambient occlusion (SSAO)
  • Transparency and refraction.
  • Water with reflection, refraction, physics, and full-screen underwater effects.

SSAO is mentioned and the command for enabling SSAO is SetSSAO.

My question is what is the command for enabling SSDO ?

Ok. I had a word with Mr. and he confirmed that SSAO has been replaced by SSDO.

Now I want to confirm if I use LUA to completely to create my application or game, is there any limitations that I must accept.

Or in other words - If I use only LUA instead of C do I get access to all the feature sets and tools built into the engine ?

I think we will have to award you 'the most cautious potential Leadwerks customer' of all time award wink.png

In answer to your question you have pretty much access to everything from Lua. I say pretty much because even the C DLL does not have access to all that Blitz Max does! Suffice to say that it's quite possible to write your game entirely in Lua and that has indeed been the choice taken by many on this forum.

Have you every written a game before? Let me give some general advice, not specifically aimed at you but at anyone wanting to learn the craft of game design ... don't get hung up on searching for that 'perfect' engine because it simply doesn't exist. You will find yourself permanently sitting on the fence instead of getting stuck into what is a long and challenging learning curve that will eventually lead you to being able to make a game.

I have spent the best part of four years of my spare time in that learning curve and only now do I consider myself capable of making the game I always wanted to. So, as long as the game engine you chose allows you to get experience of most aspects of game design I wouldn't worry too much about the finer detail. Believe me, you will have much more important challenges!

• Upvote 1

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

I think we will have to award you 'the most cautious potential Leadwerks customer' of all time award wink.png

Well, I will take the satire with a bow for now.

Can you please point me to the detailed documentation of LUA ? The tutorials and command reference covers C function calls mainly.

Where can I find the LUA counterpart in the same detailed perspective ?

In answer to your question you have pretty much access to everything from Lua. I say pretty much because even the C DLL does not have access to all that Blitz Max does! Suffice to say that it's quite possible to write your game entirely in Lua and that has indeed been the choice taken by many on this forum.

So BlitzMAX is the native language for this engine ? Well since the engine itself was written using BlitzMAX, there is no wonder that it has got more access to engine core. How much will I miss regarding feature set if I am not using BlitzMAX ?

You will not miss much. I recently switched from Blitzmax to c and only found one difference ( in updatecontroller) which Pixel Perfect helped me adjust. I daresay there are a few more, but its not important.

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++

How do I protect my LUA scripts and game models from being manipulated by the users ? Can leadwerks load assests from password protected zip files ?

Thank you Shadmar for pointing out the article. It seems quite useful but I would like to confirm if loading of assets from password protected zip file is possible or not. Building a single exe to hide everything may be a good option for small games but for large games which has a bulk of assets it becomes un-practical. Loading game models from password protected pak file will be a boon.

I was trying out the getting started with LUA example http://www.leadwerks.com/files/Tutorials/Lua/Getting_Started_With_Lua.pdf

. It worked ! But I have a little uneasy feeling regarding the jagged edges of the shadow that is being cast on the ground plane by the rotating cube. How can I remove the jaggedness ?

i don't know why i read all of this but with my own testing with Leadwerks on an i5 processor (not sure what model) but it ran horribly, around 20fps. intel = joke when it comes to graphics...if you plan doing any game development on a CPU, i'd go the APU route and buy one of AMD's apu's that actually have graphic chips within them. Been hearing good reviews about them. I'll test it out one day whenever the money comes flowing in from winning the lottery(dream).

but with my own testing with Leadwerks on an i5 processor (not sure what model) but it ran horribly, around 20fps. intel = joke when it comes to graphics

graphics are handled with your graphics card...maybe you should upgrade a little bit if you plan to make games...it's none of my business...just trying to help....i run leadwerks on a athlon II x3 460..it is plenty fast...$80...your i5 should be better than mine...