What's missing?

L B

I'm comparing the atmosphere and look of my maps so far to various RPGs. I came across what is considered to be "Top-notch" in terms of graphics as a MMO, Aion.

Although the graphics aren't so stunning in my opinion, they still have some kind of mood I lack.

Any idea on how to get it? I already tried a warmer ambient-light, but it's no use.

GraphicsComparison.jpg

What makes Aion and WoW visually appealing and fun to the eye is the overexxagerated use of color hues. They use lots of clean and bright colors, and also curvy models and terrains. They just make "more than reality", a caricature of reality, which one could also call fantasy, that's what their genre is about anyway.

Your Origins scene looks more realistic, but it is also no fun to the eye, since people associate it unconsciously with hard work and cruel life. The realistic effect works only when its used to its full potential a'la Crysis, or in a darker ways like in horror games. But semi-realistic scenes are just in the middle of the road and not appealing to either eye candy or emo thrill.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Alright. Then why does my screenshot look somehow bad? Somehow flat?

EDIT: Just saw Josh's post. I get it, my hue is less colored. But still, there's something missing, don't you think? (Beside a character)

I would not say it looked bad or flat, the difference seems to be as stated hue and saturation.

AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 Black Edition

2 x 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Memory

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 Ti OC 1024MB GDDR5

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

BlitzMax 1.50 • Lua 5.1 MaxGUI 1.41 • UU3D Pro • MessiahStudio Pro • Silo Pro

3D Coat • ShaderMap Pro • Hexagon 2 • Photoshop, Gimp & Paint.NET

LE 2.5/3.4 • Skyline UE4 • CE3 SDK • Unity 5 • Esenthel Engine 2.0

Marleys Ghost's YouTube Channel Marleys Ghost's Blog

"I used to be alive like you .... then I took an arrow to the head"

With color balance and saturation (both available in Framewerk via ambientlight, hdr, saturation), you could do this (although you should primarily do it in your textures, and rather do a desaturation to get your current image):

cobalsat.png

Hard to say, it looks fine on my monitor. There are no completely black places, everything is still clearly visible. It's just more fun to the eye to have a more dramatic dark/light scene than a boring flat image.

Lumooja's shot seems more fun than yours. Your shot, Ubu, just looks like every single other Leadwerks shot.

No one seems to vary the ambiance enough to get a unique look. Lumooja seems pretty close to a nice, dramatic look, but it is a bit dark.

52t__nvidia.png nVidia 530M cpu.gif Intel Core i7 - 2.3Ghz 114229_30245_16_hardware_memory_ram_icon.png 8GB DDR3 RAM Windows7_Start.gif Windows 7 Ultimate (64x)

-----

IconVisualStudio16.png Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate google-Chrome.png Google Chrome PhotoshopLinkIndicator.png Creative Suite 5 icon28.gif FL Studio 10 MicrosoftOfficeLive.png Office 15

-----

csharp.png Expert cpp.png Professional lua_icon.png Expert BMX Programmer

-----

i-windows-live-messenger-2009.pngskype-icon16.pngaim_online.pnggmail.pngicon_48x48_prism-facebook.pngtunein-web.pngyahoo.giftwitter16.png

Lumooja's shot seems more fun than yours. Your shot, Ubu, just looks like every single other Leadwerks shot.

No one seems to vary the ambiance enough to get a unique look. Lumooja seems pretty close to a nice, dramatic look, but it is a bit dark.

Agreed. Almost every shot looks the same.

Looks mighty fine to me though, now its just missing butterflys or other living things to animate the scene.

I suggest to define a bunch of pprocessing setting for different time of day and weather conditions.

Another reason why its difficult to compete imho, is that i can hardly implement a straight "style".

While the latest screenshot looks a lot like FABLE - "we" usually paint with the engine and aint working from design sheets.

Often even such simple things like a lamppost do have its root in the culture where it is living in and by materializing all

these small parts a harmonising image is created.

AMD 64 X2 Dual 5k - 4GB - XFX GForce9800GT - nv196.21 - WinXP Sp3

zBrush4R2 - Silo2Pro - Unwrap3DPro - Gile - MaPZone2.5

adv_banner-april2012_720x150_tex01.png

Xxploration FPS in progress ...

I think your trunk textrure in left tree and top of right tree is bigger than real size.

Brightness - contrast - level - Gamma correction:

Origins.jpg

Omid Saadat

OD Arts Blog

AMD Phenom II X4 940 - Geforce 8800GTS - 4GB RAM - XP x86

AMD 6000+ - Geforce 9800 GT - 2GB RAM - XP x86 (Home pc)

Intel Core i7 - Geforce 310M - 4GB Ram - Win7 x64 (Laptop)

Those pic edits look nice..

And I think not only the hue is different, but the second screen has way more bumpmapping, that makes it also look different. :)

Using Leadwerks Professional Edition (Beta), mainly using C++.

Windows 10 / Linux Mint, Visual Studio 2017. GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX970, CPU: Intel i7 7700K @ 4.20 GHz

Previously known as Evayr.

I doubt he added more bump mapping. The postpro just makes it pop out more I guess.

Guess it's also a matter of taste. I personally feel that Ubu's orginal shot looks way better than Aion. I think Aion and WoW look horrible.

Maybe you can compare to this shot. It's from Lord of the Rings Online of which I personally feel it has much more atmosphere.

http://lotro.arinthros.com/screens/files/landscape/shire_awesome-brook3.jpg

You actually can get antialiasing right now, and not the edge antialias shader. Just render to a double-size buffer, then draw this onto a buffer half that size, with the smooth texture filter set. This will produce about the same results as 2x MSAA. I don't recommend using this technique for anything you release, because the bandwidth usage would be ridiculous, but its okay for testing.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.