What's missing?

Rekindled Phoenix

19 members have voted

1. 1. What is missing from Leadwerks.Net?

• Documentation
    • Comments
    • Plugins
    • Other (add Reply)
    • Not applicable to me (LE.Net)
    • I only use Fortran because it's faster
    • Nothing is missing

Lazlo's (and ZioRed's) code has served the community well.

I may be content with the available libraries, but the community may not be. If you feel the Leadwerks.Net library is missing something, feel free to reply with a suggestion below!

(Can't suggest events and inheritance, since they already are supported.)

And remember, the C# libraries for Leadwerks come in two flavors:

- Spiced Nutmeg (Leadwerks.Net)

- French Vanilla (LE.Net)

Actually Fortran is not always faster than C++, but only in most cases. C++ wins when it can use the super efficient STL vector classes, because it's much faster than a hand-made linked list. I don't know how that is possible, but it just is so.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

I only use Fortran because it's faster
Ha-ha-ha :):D :D I'm crying...

I'm using BMax, it's much easier and don't want to upadete NET platform, or huge REDIST packages.

:D Need to make port for QBasic

"Better" is big enemy of "good"

I have voted for other.

i mainly use Leadwerks.Net but what drives me nuts is that the actual dll commands are internal and you can't access them outside. (Which is disturbing if you need to add a yet not implemented feature). I believe Leadwerks.Net should use LE.Net so you can seperate the engine and Leadwerks.Net commands and we only have to maintain one project which is handlicng directly with the engine.dll. Also it might be easier to extend current functionality. Also maybe seperating the whole DllImport stuff into different files (based on there use, eg: Terrain, Entity, etc) may help to organise the whole project better.

Maybe we can start a new trunk with a class and file layout prototype.

• Intel® Core™ i7-8550U @ 1.80 Ghz 
  • 16GB RAM 
  • INTEL UHD Graphics 620
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit-Version

I mainly use Leadwerks.Net but what drives me nuts is that the actual dll commands are internal and you can't access them outside. (Which is disturbing if you need to add a yet not implemented feature).

This is done on purpose. An inheritable strongly-typed library is structured to keep people from calling the standard Leadwerks functions (the dll commands). Lazlo's layout keeps developers from using one class to solve all of their needs. What's wrong with the "using" statement?

If there are a few commands you think that should be accessible, post it as a reply to the pinned thread.

I believe Leadwerks.Net should use LE.Net so you can seperate the engine and Leadwerks.Net commands and we only have to maintain one project which is handlicng directly with the engine.dll. Also it might be easier to extend current functionality. Also maybe separating the whole DllImport stuff into different files (based on there use, eg: Terrain, Entity, etc) may help to organise the whole project better.

Leadwerks.Net will never use LE.Net as it's core. They are designed differently.

Lazlo's library has layered-inheritance, updated namespaces, and events

ZioRed's library is a clean, "TEntity" port of the API.

I think we may disagree on the way the libraries should be structured. The dll commands for the importer should be in one maintainable class. Imagine trying to find a command with an incorrect "pInvoke" and scouring though the layers of inherited classes to find such a method.

After a second thought I agree with the internal approach which seems to be proven standard for Wrappers. Ok, the different imports in LE.Net and Leadwerks.Net i understand, but i never said that we should split the pInvoke into seperate classes, you can just split them into seperate files, this way it may be easier to find the correct place where to find the place to add new functions or change existing ones.

I will post a sample soon.

• Intel® Core™ i7-8550U @ 1.80 Ghz 
  • 16GB RAM 
  • INTEL UHD Graphics 620
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit-Version

Leadwerks.Net will never use LE.Net as it's core.

This might be a good time to change that seeing as LE.NET is becoming the official .NET library for LE2.

Official C# in LE3 will be such, such a relief.

I have a feeling you won't like it though as it seems it'll be more like LE.NET is today and not an OO library like Leadwerks.NET.

This might be a good time to change that seeing as LE.NET is becoming the official .NET library for LE2.

It's not going to happen. The only thing that they might share would the be PInvoke'd methods to access the DLL entry points. It would be pointless just for one class to share similarities.

I have a feeling you won't like it though as it seems it'll be more like LE.NET is today and not an OO library like Leadwerks.NET.

I don't like the library, but that doesn't mean I have to use it. I realize that my opinion does not depict the entire forum either. I know that there are those who like the coding style of a C++ library. I accept the fact that it would cause Josh more strain to write different documentation, etc.

You are free to do that Rekindled but just be aware that it would seem you'd be going against the grain of what Josh is looking for. "Official" support wouldn't be there and libraries that Josh decides to write or others that follow LE.NET (because he well get into .NET eventually himself. it's only a matter of time) could have compatibility issues with whatever you write. It could/would split the .NET community.

Would just be a shame to do that because of some ideology.

From the sounds of it klepto is leaning towards making his things for whatever Josh decides is the path, which sounded like LE.NET. So why not join forces and make the official .NET library the best it can be?

• 2 weeks later...

Several languages are better suited for an engine that is maintained buy lot of people ?

A solution could be to choose officialy some people and some backup one , that would write official support .Net for each release ?

--------------------

For the vote forum , i have some ideas like :

Make a game from scratch tutorial explaining each step and tools to use, and explaining the code also :

Like a ismple platformer :

- Introduction

- export models from Blender with FBX (simple platform, and an animated character)

- Taking textures, transform them to DSS

- make the materials and shaders (examples normal map, specular)

- management of that models in the editor : importing them on the scene

- all stuff collisions : polygon collision for platforms and capsule or box for character , the code with it explained

- how to manage particle effects (code source example)

- How to attach code to entities (code source example)

- Making of simple menu

- Example a very simple framework dealing with entites and managing menus

- Example of save check point of game

I begun with LeadWerks, and that's the main thing that was not easy with LeadWerks , is to pcik up the right information, here and here, it's not easy !

I tested Unity 3D , and their tutorial to make a complete game from scratch is really a must , specially for people that don't want to spend time on

programming and that just want the great lines ! They'll modify the things they want as they progress in their game making !

For now some things are missing for me like to write a game manager, make menus ? , no particle editor ? , attach code to entities or manage them ?, all that si not clear at all for now , but if i succeed, perhaps i'll write a tutorial to make a tutorial from scratch that explains all the process, tools involved !

Stop toying and make games

Perhaps i'll do a little one :) ? who knows ?

I don't promise caus i don't know if i won't get stuck with some programming or model import problem , but i'll try.

It will be more like a 2.5D simple platformer game even with bad 3D art, it's just for getting a complete tutorial.

But anyone could do one also like some tutorial for an FPS game , a 3rd person, or anything else !

Stop toying and make games