LE2 vs LE3

In my mind, LE3 is like "LE2 done right", with cleaner codebase, lower + bigger hardware requirements, but thought it might not hurt to clarify some of these.

What would be the main differences with LE2 and LE3?

- Features missing?

- New features?

- Graphicswise (Shader model 3 vs Shader model 4 required?)

Intel Dual Core 3GHz / GeForce GTS 450 - 1024 MB / Driver ver 267.59 / 8 GB RAM / Win 7 - 64 bit / LE2.50 / BMAX 1.48

game producer blog - Dead Wake Zombie Game powered by Leadwerks Engine

Twitter - Unfollow me

1) Some "useless" features are missing, like "abstract::" file system

2) Lots and lots of new features

3) SM1 needed, and SM3 is the "normal" requirement, but support upto SM5

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

You might want to cast you eyes over this recent spec for LE3

Wow!!! Everything on that list looks great. Especially Networking. I was hoping We would have the ability to create large multi-player maps.

Has anybody seen if Josh has or has not decided to allow loading models on a separate thread. I was wondering, If we can not load on a separate thread does that mean also for networking that a player could not join a game in progress. Everybody would have to sync together when the game is not running, right?

Wow!!! Everything on that list looks great. Especially Networking. I was hoping We would have the ability to create large multi-player maps.

Has anybody seen if Josh has or has not decided to allow loading models on a separate thread. I was wondering, If we can not load on a separate thread does that mean also for networking that a player could not join a game in progress. Everybody would have to sync together when the game is not running, right?

You might want to check out raknet now. It could give you a head start on networking and can only help learn how things work for when Josh has his networking going. Note that loading on a separate thread and having a player join a game in progress isn't really a direct linked issue. Currently what you would do is load every character type at least once so when a new person joins they aren't loading a new asset, they would just be creating another instance of an existing asset which is as close to instant as you can get and won't cause any close down to the game in progress.

You might want to check out reknit now. It could give you a head start on networking and can only help learn how things work for when Josh has his networking going. Note that loading on a separate thread and having a player join a game in progress isn't really a direct linked issue. Currently what you would do is load every character type at least once so when a new person joins they aren't loading a new asset, they would just be creating another instance of an existing asset which is as close to instant as you can get and won't cause any close down to the game in progress.

Thanks Rick for the info. I was kind of hoping to have custom characters for the players, so I would not be able to do it that way. But I guess if I have to compromise and only offer a few different characters, it would not be the end of the world.

SM4 is required for the deferred renderer. Anything less than that will use the fixed function pipeline.

There would not be any disadvantage to using le3 for a 2d game, since the minimum specs are so low.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

The LE3 deferred renderer will not work on SM3? Strange considering the LE2 one does, doesn't it?

Mind you my experience with SM3 cards on LE2 was slow (big time), and at this point, only you would know if your FFP implementation works faster on SM3 cards than the deferred renderer does.

Or is it because so much functionality of LE2 was unavailable on SM3 cards?

LE Version: 2.50 (Eventually)

The deferred renderer requires OpenGL 3.2. It is possible to make a deferred renderer with earlier versions of the API, but OpenGL 3 is designed for modern rendering techniques, has better driver support, and is much easier to use.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

PhysX 3.0 is out: http://www.guru3d.com/news/nvidia-physx-30-announced

But it seems PhysX is still not supporting OpenCL, which makes it basically slower on all cards (nvidia+ati average value) than Bullet, because Bullet supports OpenCL.

OpenCL is the recommended future-proof path. And our CUDA prototyping will be easy to port over to OpenCL. OpenCL makes Stream, GLSL, Brook obsolete for GPGPU development.

So in short: Our CUDA prototyping prepares for an OpenCL implementation. The OpenCL standard is currently being developed by Khronos members and not publically available yet.

Hope this helps,

Erwin

PhysX 3.0 is out: http://www.guru3d.com/news/nvidia-physx-30-announced

But it seems PhysX is still not supporting OpenCL, which makes it basically slower on all cards (nvidia+ati average value) than Bullet, because Bullet supports OpenCL.

More specifically Bullet WILL support OpenCL. As pointed out in your quote, the OpenCL standard isn't public yet. I expect most physics engines will move over to it once it's been standardized. PhysX is still a good move.

There are three types of people in this world. People who make things happen. People who watch things happen. People who ask, "What happened?"

Let's make things happen.

Considering that PhysX is a nvidia product, they will probably delay the move to OpenCL artificially and claim that CUDA is better.

However, OpenCL has already started to support PhysX, so it can go also this way:

Thats right people, im probably late to the partly but the new opencl beta4 driver is able to run nvidia physx ect.... there for no need for any nvidia GPU as a dedicated part ect..

but there is still along way to go for optimiztion wich will come very soon.

I'd very much like if this thread would not compare which physics systems are better or worse or faster or slower :D There's other threads for that discussion.

It's sufficient to say:

LE2: Newton

LE3: PhysX

Intel Dual Core 3GHz / GeForce GTS 450 - 1024 MB / Driver ver 267.59 / 8 GB RAM / Win 7 - 64 bit / LE2.50 / BMAX 1.48

game producer blog - Dead Wake Zombie Game powered by Leadwerks Engine

Twitter - Unfollow me

• 3 weeks later...

awkward? personally i like the effects... i sure as hell wouldn't have wanted to try to get them to work on my own. which is if i remember correctly, is the whole reason josh did the framework and made it available to us because no one was achieving these effects on their own.

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

awkward? personally i like the effects... i sure as hell wouldn't have wanted to try to get them to work on my own. which is if i remember correctly, is the whole reason josh did the framework and made it available to us because no one was achieving these effects on their own.

When I said awkward I meant the way it is part of the engine. I would probably have never gotten those spiffy effects to work without pouring hours and hours in myself and gratefully use it but I think it should have been a more integral part of the engine because right now, it feels like a bandaid.

In LE3, it's all built into the camera class, so you have command like Camera::SetMotionBlurMode(), etc.

Yes, that feels right :)