Stand up, please

flachdrache

I can say that working in blender game engine is appox. 500% more effecient than working in Leadwerks.

So inspire us all by showing us what you're doing with Blender :)

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

So inspire us all by showing us what you're doing with Blender :)

I'm using Leadwerks silly and I do have old projects from back in the day when I was using blender. But the quality hardly shows the game engine's ability.

I know it's hard to believe. ANd I'm not belittling Leadwerks. That's why I'm using Leadwerks I love it. But the effeciency of the blender style workflow is undeniable to those who know it. It's so ahead of it's time that people don't know what to think apparently. THis is the result of blender foundation having literally zero marketing budget.

Like I'll just give you a scenario. If you look at the silly building with bones tutorial I made. Now imagine that once u finish outlining the building and modeling the furnitiure. That you can press P and immediately start playing the level. Now imagine you open a tab within the same editor and starting using PTex to paint on the furniture. And then you start scultping and baking the furniture. What next? Press p to test.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

There are so many effeciencies that I cant' name them all. And there is really no other editor to compare it to. So I can't say, blender's X is better than Cryengine's, because blender's X is something Cryengine doesn't even begin to have.

Core I5 2.67 / 16GB RAM / GTX 670

Zbrush/ Blender / Photoshop CS6 / Renoise / Genetica / Leadwerks 3

I accept what your saying, its not that I have anything against Blender because I have never really used it. What I'm having trouble getting my head round is if its 500% more efficient than Leadwerks, has a great workflow and is so ahead of its time then why arn't you using it?

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

Honestly, just because a tool HAS all the needed features available, doesn't automatically make it more efficient to use than a combination of tools. If the said tools are hard to work with and/or don't follow standards it actually makes it less efficient because you have to retrain people to follow a non standard way of doing things that they can't use anywhere else. I have no doubt that Blender has all the features a game engine should have, but they aren't implemented in such a fashion that people think it's not efficient to use.

Linux also has all the features an OS SHOULD have but it's not implemented in such a way that makes it efficient for your average person to use, which is why it's not the number 1 OS in the world. Blender is very similar to Linux in that way, and it seems like their mentality of, we are right and we don't care what you think our product should be. The reason for this is clearly money. When you don't charge for your product it's very easy to keep thinking you are doing something the right way and everyone else is wrong. As soon as you have to make a living with your product you start to listen to the majority of people and do things the standard way (the way everyone knows already). That's basically the difference between open source projects and for profit.

For example Blender looks like it uses Phython for scripting. Why Phython? Most people who are into making games don't know Phython, they know C++, LUA, BMax (questionable). Then you come back with it's open source and you can bind any language, but yeah yeah yeah, Linux has been saying the same thing for years, but your average person doesn't want to do all that work. They want to use tools that are very standard across multiple engines, like C++, and LUA.

Until you, and more importantly Blender, realize this, it'll be another Linux. Good for some, but not for the majority, even though a superior product to the competition in terms of features.

I dont know what blender is like as a game engine but I have been learning to use it for months and am beginning to like it, but I still can't figure how to get a texture onto a model. I have to go into ac3d to do the texture.So how about a tut on that?

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++

I accept what your saying, its not that I have anything against Blender because I have never really used it. What I'm having trouble getting my head round is if its 500% more efficient than Leadwerks, has a great workflow and is so ahead of its time then why arn't you using it?

I often wrestle with this. Initially, I came to Leadwerks because Blender game engine used to have license issues. But now it doesn't. So honestly there is no reason for me not to use blender except for the fact that I beleive in what Leadwerks is doing. I have confidence in the developers of Leadwerks and I love the direction they are taking. I voiced my committment to Leadwerks. Bothered the hell out of Josh with lots of 'suggestions' and so forth. And I just like to support a compnay that is doing such wonderful work. I may love blender, but I do understand that the market is there so the consumer can vote on whose craft should continue and whose craft should end. I think Leadwerks should continue because of all the wonderful things it offers to people that they can't get anywhere else, and so I have called it my nakama. And it's as simple as that.

Some people bond with their boats, their cars and their bikes. I bond with game engines. That's how I roll. And "she's a beaut"

But still, Leadwerks should learn from Blender, because I feel Blender is certainly learning from Leadwerks as well as Unity and Cryengine. Which is the ONLY reason I continue to bring it up here. Blender is learning from the others, but the others tend to ignore blender. Soon, blender will have it's own positives in addition to the positives that it assimilates from observing the features of other engines. While the other engines will have their own positives, sure, but they will have neglected to learn from what blender is doing, because to them, blender is not even on the radar.

That is not a smart move.

I've already told you blender has resolved it's licensing issues. And it continues to evolve. Because it's watching and learning from everyone else. But like I said, the others are almost oblivious to what's going on with blender.

Blender is very similar to Linux in that way, and it seems like their mentality of, we are right and we don't care what you think our product should be. The reason for this is clearly money. When you don't charge for your product it's very easy to keep thinking you are doing something the right way and everyone else is wrong. As soon as you have to make a living with your product you start to listen to the majority of people and do things the standard way (the way everyone knows already). That's basically the difference between open source projects and for profit.

I see what you mean. I don't know about Linux but these simply isn't true about Blender. You see, the entire intention of making Blender 2.5 was to listen to what people like you have been saying all along about the previous versions of blender. Blender 2.5, IS blender foundation listening to the will of the people (however right or wrong) :)

I found 2.4 perfectly fine, but they made a lot of changes in an effort to appeal to people like you Rick. But the world hasn't realized it yet, and that's fine because 2.5 is still buggy and in development. I suppose they will let the word out a bit more once it's called stable.

I dont know what blender is like as a game engine but I have been learning to use it for months and am beginning to like it, but I still can't figure how to get a texture onto a model. I have to go into ac3d to do the texture.So how about a tut on that?

http://www.blendercookie.com/2010/01/21/creating-an-axe-part-2/

it's an hour long, but it shows you a lot about blender particularly one approach to texturing, the entire site is very nice

Core I5 2.67 / 16GB RAM / GTX 670

Zbrush/ Blender / Photoshop CS6 / Renoise / Genetica / Leadwerks 3

FYI :

there are plenty of "blender game engine" samples - at least for 2.4x.

Search for "matrix scene" or that jump&run "Apricot". However, i havent seen any highDef inGame scene within blender yet + getting into a new engine its always better to choose something with a strong community imho.

I know i should have added a "no blender game engine discussion". :) :)

AMD 64 X2 Dual 5k - 4GB - XFX GForce9800GT - nv196.21 - WinXP Sp3

zBrush4R2 - Silo2Pro - Unwrap3DPro - Gile - MaPZone2.5

adv_banner-april2012_720x150_tex01.png

Xxploration FPS in progress ...