smak

knocks

At that price, perhaps I should buy it even if it doesn't see much use...

I mean, CrazyBump is $300 for a commercial license, and when I was using it's free trial, it didn't seem to be creating the normal maps the way I was expecting. Example being, I wanted to inscribe some text into a relatively low quality G36 model "Made in Germany" stuff like that. It just seemed to flat when viewed on the weapon. I always put it down to me not being a modeller, but it should be interesting if this tool can achieve the effect, even if the process of going about it is different.

LE Version: 2.50 (Eventually)

If you want to generate normalmaps from your simple images its highly recommended to use a self made greyscale heighmap to get goos results. Regardless which application you use for this kind of gneration.

A very good free generator but rarely known is "Njob" by Charles Hollemeersch.

http://charles.hollemeersch.net/

Shaderlab is also nice and costs 20 bucks.

Pure3d Visualizations Germany - digital essences

AAA 3D Model Shop specialized on nature and environments

If you want to generate normalmaps from your simple images its highly recommended to use a self made greyscale heighmap to get goos results. Regardless which application you use for this kind of gneration.

A very good free generator but rarely known is "Njob" by Charles Hollemeersch.

http://charles.hollemeersch.net/

Shaderlab is also nice and costs 20 bucks.

do those also create AO maps? Edit--- i see njob does... looks promising!

in any case, how would you suggest making the grayscale heightmaps?

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

Im mostly using this for creating ambient occlusion maps on basic static objects atm. I like the fact that its geometry based and fast. Haven't really played with the normal map functions yet.

My first Adobe purchase was Photoshop 2.0, CS6 was my last! < = >

Surprise, surprise. The "wrong" way describes me perfectly. Heh, I'm a programmer, not an artist.

So thanks for the link... I assume it was meant for me... Sadly, this means I've got to learn to... umm, draw... Ugh, horrible thought.

LE Version: 2.50 (Eventually)

Yes thanks for pointing us towards this program. I bought a copy of SMAK to show support, I like the easy to use nature, it's still beta and would benefit from more format support.

We played around with baking AO into models today, I liked the results but they need to be used with care when you have real-time lighting and shadows.

We could do some crazy things with the normal map generator. Especially as we have multiple LODs for our ground vehicles.

6600 2.4G / GTX 460 280.26 / 4GB Windows 7

Author: GROME Terrain Modeling for Unity, UDK, Ogre3D from PackT

Tricubic Studios Ltd. ~ Combat Helo

Sadly, this means I've got to learn to... umm, draw... Ugh, horrible thought.

Nahh, you dont need to learn to paint. Its just a start with a 50% black image plus placing rectangles and other forms in brighter or dimmer grey on it so you have an heightmap. I use to blend in the diffuse very slightly to keep a bit of the cracks and such things on my heightmap image.

Pure3d Visualizations Germany - digital essences

AAA 3D Model Shop specialized on nature and environments