Game Resolution

gamecreator

How do you guys determine what resolution your game will run in and support when you share it with others?

I'm aware of being able to use CountGraphicsModes and GetGraphicsMode to get the list but then what? macklebee suggested using the last item on that list here as the native resolution and that may be my method too but I don't know how reliable that is (it does work for me too though). Does it make sense to use the biggest one on that list?

Are there any other methods of getting the native resolution? I saw GetSystemMetrics in a search but I believe that's for Windows only and it only gets the current resolution, not necessarily the max/native.

As of the July 2016 Steam survey, the most popular resolutions are:

1920 x 1080 - 36.68%

1366 x 768 - 25.85%

so I'd like to support at least those two, which means at least two font and message sizes.

Kind of a rambly post with multiple questions. Any thoughts on this?

I always use the last mode in the list without issues, but usually add a menu to change resolutions for those with slower cards/PCs/preferences.

edit: I haven't tested on Linux yet.

• Upvote 1

---

Scott

Using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit/Core I7-2700K @ 4312mhz/24G RAM/Nvidia GTX 1060

LEX2 uses the user's native res for the default fullscreen. If you look back a few topics, Mac posted code containing how to get all supported resolutions for the machine. Use System::CountGraphicNodes()-1.x and System::CountGraphicNodes()-1.y.

Cyclone - Ultra Game System - Component PreprocessorTex2TGA - Darkness Awaits Template (Leadwerks)

If you like my work, consider supporting me on Patreon!

Another temporary option is to use up/down arrow keys for the user to cycle through them.

Definitely. For the tournament though I think most people will be satisfied with just using their native resolution.

LEX2 uses the user's native res for the default fullscreen. If you look back a few topics, Mac posted code containing how to get all supported resolutions for the machine. Use System::CountGraphicNodes()-1.x and System::CountGraphicNodes()-1.y.

Yup, I saw that thread as well with some similar functions. Very helpful.

Where I can find LEX2? I found this and the links are dead

http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/blog/164/entry-1694-lex2-evaluation-demo/

My Leadwerks games!

https://ragingmages.itch.io/