Leadwerks Wars

Josh

This game will be written entirely in Lua. It will be open-source and available to all licensees. The description below is not complete, but it gives you a good idea of what I have in mind.

Leadwerks Wars

Leadwerks Wars is a multiplayer strategic FPS game. Slower player movement changes the tactics of winning from twitch shooting to strategic attacks. It's gameplay almost as slow as Red Orchestra coupled with graphics and a slightly futuristic setting reminiscent of Crysis or S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Gameplay

Gameplay revolves around capturing strategic points. Points are captured by moving a certain number of players into the capture zone and occupying the area. As the players wait, a progress bar displays the "capturing" progress. When captured, the area belongs to the capturing team, and players may then respawn from that area. Some areas have to be captured before the next area becomes available. Other areas can be captured at any time. This is determined by the map designer, and is used to make the battle flow as desired. When the final strategic point (the enemy's "base") is captured by the opposing team, the battle is won. Battles therefore move along the sequence of strategic points, advancing and retreating. Some maps may have multiple paths of progression. In this case, it is important to allocate resources to defend all vulnerable points held.

Troop movement is the key to winning a battle, not twitch reactions. Player movement is slowed to realistic speeds. Realistic ballistics are used, with all the problems real gun battles are fraught with, like inaccurate bullet trajectories and weapons jamming. This leads to more strategic fighting and cover mechanics, instead of bunny hopping around at 60 MPH.

Vehicles

Vehicles are an important part of strategy, particularly for the purpose of troop movement. Vehicles are difficult to destroy.

Troop transport

This is used to move players to a destination. The vehicle moves players much faster than they could walk, and affords protection from enemy fire. This vehicle should be very difficult to destroy because it is critical to gameplay.

Tank

The purpose of the tank is to move a heavy weapon within range of an enemy target. Tanks are used to destroy walls and other barriers that would otherwise be impenetrable.

Support Vehicle

A faster support vehicle with ample firepower and one or two player crew provides cover to the tank and transport.

There are no plans at this time for flying vehicles because this would impair the desired gameplay.

post-1-12662628056947_thumb.png

• Upvote 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

This sounds really cool, and gives more options for LE users to choose suitable tasks from the ongoing community projects. I will participate in both, since as usually with any projects there are always waiting times for other things to finish, even if you have finished all your own tasks.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Very interesting. I think it's a good idea for you to build a game using your own engine. It'll help you find the holes in the engine and make it better.

This sounds really cool, and gives more options for LE users to choose suitable tasks from the ongoing community projects. I will participate in both, since as usually with any projects there are always waiting times for other things to finish, even if you have finished all your own tasks.

Did I not read his post correctly? I didn't see anywhere where he said it was a community project. By the sounds of it, he'll create it and just make it open source for the community to use it as an example for our own games.

Did I not read his post correctly? I didn't see anywhere where he said it was a community project. By the sounds of it, he'll create it and just make it open source for the community to use it as an example for our own games.

Dunno, but the title says: "Leadwerks Wars Open-source community game". Well, it could mean that it's only open-source for the community, but I bet it will become a community project anyway, since Josh will soon realize what he all needs. A game is not just code, it's so much more. Sounds, speaks, music, models, textures, icons, logos, web sites, art direction, code direction, audio direction, installers, launchers, updaters, marketings, sales distribution, research, platform testing, user feedback, etc... :blink:

can't wait to see soms pics of it :blink:

the real world is in my head

CPU-Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz

CPU Speed 2.40 GHz

RAM 3.5 GB

OS Microsoft Windows XP Professional (Build Service Pack 32600)

Video Card GeForce 8800 GT

Video Card Features-

*Video RAM 512.0 MB

Video RAM 256 MB 512.0 MB

Hardware T&L Yes

Pixel Shader version 3.0

Vertex Shader version 3.0

using:leadwerks2.3,2

[ dreamhead.png

I'm excited for this, but I have to imagine if it's just Josh or maybe even Josh and 2-3 other people that it'll be 12 months before we have the final game. The best thing I think will come of this is that Josh will find all the gaps in the engine that we are all finding and fix them.

Guest Red Ocktober
This sounds really cool, and gives more options for LE users to choose suitable tasks from the ongoing community projects

i agree wholeheartedly...

--Mike

Invisibility ability of the suit (gives an effect like the Predator when he went invisible). It would require some sort of draining of power or something so you can only do it for so long, and heat vision goggles that can see invisible players.

I'm picturing an assaulter turning invisible to get into a zone, and the defenders having heat vision goggles on. Picturing cool knifing in the back as invisible. Maybe attacking takes you out of invisibility.

what do you think of the mode base builder,goal of this mode is the first team how builds the base has won the game.the gameplay is ::ther ar resources shattered a round the map that you wil need to build up your base and the the biger your base gets the better weapons you will get.

the real world is in my head

CPU-Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz

CPU Speed 2.40 GHz

RAM 3.5 GB

OS Microsoft Windows XP Professional (Build Service Pack 32600)

Video Card GeForce 8800 GT

Video Card Features-

*Video RAM 512.0 MB

Video RAM 256 MB 512.0 MB

Hardware T&L Yes

Pixel Shader version 3.0

Vertex Shader version 3.0

using:leadwerks2.3,2

[ dreamhead.png

Sounds OK, now there needs to be something special about the game, some super gameplay or graphical feautre that'll set it apart. Because games just like the described have already been made...

Btw., did the leadwerks soldier model finally get any animations? I guess it'll be used as the character model for this game.

Though I wouldn't use it, it looks too much like the nanosuit from crysis...

Or is the game only being made to show people how to do stuff, and not to be a game one should/would want to play?

what do you think of the mode base builder,goal of this mode is the first team how builds the base has won the game.the gameplay is ::ther ar resources shattered a round the map that you wil need to build up your base and the the biger your base gets the better weapons you will get.

That sounds like an interesting idea.

I think ground units need to have good abilities for taking out vehicles to balance things out. Rocket Launchers etc.

I agree with Rick on this, oh, and this is a great idea Josh.

Also, don't forget about Grenades.. :)

Win 7 64, LE 2.31, Liquid Cooled I7-960 @ 4.00GHz, 6GB DDR3 Ram @ 1600mhz, BFG GTX295, Sound Blaster X-FI.

There are certain recipes and indegrients which make MP and FPS games good, I mean really good, like legendary.

AvP1 was a good example how a legendary MP can be made, and I haven't seen any good MP after that.

On the FPS side, there is no single one which could deserve the legendary title, since none of them covers all aspects to earn it.

Delta Force has some elements, Crysis has some elements, System Shock has some elements, Doom has some elements, Duke Nukem 3D has some elements, but nobody has made a FPS yet which has them all, and much more, to make it really legendary.

well, sounds like something to look forward to :)

AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 Black Edition

2 x 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Memory

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 Ti OC 1024MB GDDR5

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

BlitzMax 1.50 • Lua 5.1 MaxGUI 1.41 • UU3D Pro • MessiahStudio Pro • Silo Pro

3D Coat • ShaderMap Pro • Hexagon 2 • Photoshop, Gimp & Paint.NET

LE 2.5/3.4 • Skyline UE4 • CE3 SDK • Unity 5 • Esenthel Engine 2.0

Marleys Ghost's YouTube Channel Marleys Ghost's Blog

"I used to be alive like you .... then I took an arrow to the head"

You don't have to wait. Planning starts now, and you are all on the team. I just put out the general design plan so that we all have an idea of exactly what we are making.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.