LE3 higher resolutions and fps

YouGroove

Hi,

Does someone uses higher resolution than 1024*768 ? Is the frame rate staying good ?

I'm testing on my laptop and i have a solid 60 fps within 1024*768, and when i put 1368*1024 or 1600*900 the frame rate drops from 60 to 30 while the level is pretty basic.

fps.jpg

I'm ok if the final game stays at 30 fps on higher resolutions.

But having the frame rate already lowering while the level is empty without full screen effects or water, i'm not sure it will be able to keep 30 fps on the final game ?

• Upvote 1

Stop toying and make games

Is there any bottleneck problem in LE3 with ressources priorities and allocations or GPU ?

- LE3 alone : 30 fps (1368*1024)

- Crysis and LE3 : LE3 drops down to 10 fps

I'm not asking LE3 to perform like a big team made engine as that don't make sense.

But on a same PC laptop , i would expect LE3 in medium settings with some BSP cubes, to have higher frame rate than Crysis using higher graphics both on simple maps.

Crysisframerate.jpg

LE3 at 1280*1050 with medium settings.

LE31280_1050.jpg

Like i said, i have several solution for the game in case fps would not go high, so it's not a problem, i'm more curious, why resolution has so much impact on some empty BSP level ?

I think it is some bottlenecks in LE3 that can be improved ?

No problems here with only CSG boxes.

resolution does not matter too. With VSync on i always have 60 fps.

with VSync off in release mode i get a too quickly flashing fps counter that is around 500-600 fps.

So it must be one of your other models / scripts that is slowing it down.

Try some last game with full settings and tell me you have the same frame rate when you change resolution blink.png ?

1280*1050, medium settings, no scripts : 38 fps (compared to 60 fps in 1280*1024 with two script running)

noscripts.jpg

I let it down, i'll make tests on the desktop computer, but like previous tests, i will have a noticeable frame rate drop i think.

I'll continue on the game, i'll ask Josh if something can be done for performance if things get even worst, or i'll try a different game mode and view.

I did notice that debug mode in C++ takes away a LOT of fps. Maybe this has to do with it?

Still it's pretty weird that just the screen resolution gives you this drop.

Using Leadwerks Professional Edition (Beta), mainly using C++.

Windows 10 / Linux Mint, Visual Studio 2017. GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX970, CPU: Intel i7 7700K @ 4.20 GHz

Previously known as Evayr.

I always use run mode.

The drop stays at 30 fps with lot of detailled static geometry without LOD, low shadows in medium settings, LE3 is good with static models.

static.jpg

I will test on my desktop , but the main issue is dynamic entities using a script and physics, i'll have to manage that carefully.

Is there any bottleneck problem in LE3 with ressources priorities and allocations or GPU ?

- LE3 alone : 30 fps (1368*1024)

- Crysis and LE3 : LE3 drops down to 10 fps

What exactly do you want to say with this? You didn't expect that the frames will drop, when you start another highly demanding program?

I was just syaing my laptop can run lot more demanding programs keeping 30 fps, while a simple cubic level in LE3 just runs at same speed instead of beeing higher.

But i seen that LE3 keeps a solid 30 fps when increasing the level complexity , what is good.

I expect a solid 30 fps at least on my desktop for the game, under 30 fps it will consider to change the game from TPS to another game style.

I may be wrong as this is just off the top of my head, but if you increase the screen resolution then you are asking your graphics card to do more work. if you run your game at 640 by 480, you are minimising the work on the number of pixels you have to process in your GPU, using 307K pixels, assuming you have a reasonable gpu, your frame rate would be constrained by other things like the CPU, memory, disk etc. But this would give you your base line. Going to 1024 x 768 in 786K, more than double the work for the GPU to output. And running at 1920 x 1080 gives 2073 K. Over 6 times the output of your base reading.

So if you got 30 FPS at 1024 x 768 I would expect you could get 60+FP at 640 x 480 and about 10 FPS at 1920 x 1080.

If you do get 60FPS at 640x480 I suspect a better GPU, if you have the power available, will give a better frame rate.

You don't understand the drop down on frame rate is heavy in LE3 moving from 1024*768 to 1280*800 for a scene that is empty :

Some cubes, no scripts, one dir light.

While changing resolution is not impacting a lot on other 3D engines with lot more level content.

Well , i'll develop the first level i'm making and we'll see how it goes or can't go.

I'll chime in here with a slightly related comment. In a fairly simple scene at 1024x768 I get 60fps, I light my campfire and it drops to about 35. Now at first I would think this is maybe perfectly normal. However, when turning off vsync, even at 1920x1080, I get 500fps without and 200 with the fire lit. If the engine/my system is capable of 200fps without vsync, why in the world would it ever drop below 60fps in this scenario with vsync?