Memory Issues

xtom

Even though the house map looks very simple, it looks like it's composed of perhaps 5-6000 entities, which is far more than The Zone.

6000 entities , ouch that's pretty super heavy.

Without LOD , and script to hide , or some zone custom culling it's a lot for the engine , whatever is the 3D engine.

I usually use pre-made models for those window and door frames

Yes, people not aware of real time 3D use, usually just make models and throw them on the level without knowing a lot about optimisation that is needed if your game is not a small game , like big outdoor games.

I think we need some pinned topic in "Game Art" about design and optimisation guide explaining the good practices and what can be done to optimize a outoor big level.

• Upvote 1

Stop toying and make games

I don't know for sure if that's right. This makes me think a lot about the purpose of BSP brushes. Are they individual entities, or are they just building blocks that are used to indicate how the final map should look? Without the entity structure, brushes would be much less flexible and slower to render in the editor than how they are now. On the other hand, having thousands of individual entities can be pretty memory intensive.

• Upvote 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

As many of my friends, I'm not a 3D modeler guy, so the CSG tools are a must to me.

you would properly be shocked to realize just how similar to modeling what you did with those CSG blocks is.

• Upvote 2

System:

Linux Mint 17 ( = Ubuntu 14.04 with cinnamon desktop ) Ubuntu 14.04, AMD HD 6850, i5 2500k

As many of my friends, I'm not a 3D modeler guy, so the CSG tools are a must to me.

I think that's great. I agree, I know how to use modeling programs but they just take too long and aren't any fun.

There may be some things I can do like eliminate physics data on these in the editor. It does seem like there's room for optimization.

• Upvote 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I know YG always brings the latest and the greatest AAA titles to this discussion, however we're talking different calibre games here. In my opinion BSPs are great for indies, they are fast, efficient and best of all non-repetitive. I'm going to repeat my self, again, modelling takes a lot of time and we generally can't afford it. UV mapping is a real b* to do in any modelling software. This whole modular asset approach works only if you have a dedicated team that can churn all possible pieces for you. Other than that there are no other ways for novices to get into the game. Josh makes a great point about combination of both. Layout level rooms, hallways etc. using BSP and add detail using models.

• Upvote 1

Intel Core i7 Quad 2.3 Ghz, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Windows 10 (x64)

I know YG always brings the latest and the greatest AAA titles to this discussion

Not necessary big games, lot of beginner people make outdoor levels with terrain and paint vegetation, they use premade houses, rocks for village , they just place models on top of terrain there is no BSP.

This whole modular asset approach works only if you have a dedicated team that can churn all possible pieces for you

If you take a loot at Unity store there is a bunch of tiling assets, many people sell small games using them.

But ,indeed it's not free.

Layout level rooms, hallways etc. using BSP and add detail using models.

That's strange but modeling houses or blocking a basic level in Blender is the most easy part with snapping and all tools compared to making detailled complex assets.

UV mapping is a real b* to do in any modelling software.

What about auto UV mapping , you select all models, you tell some angle treshold and Blender just makes the UV mapping for you ?

then you select faces by groups you would have created and just apply materials ?

If i could find the time i would make some Blender tutorial special house and base level making.

Yes BSP is the best for new comers and non modelers, like terrain tool for terrain based games.

Another way is just pick up another style :

grow_home.0.0.jpg

whitenight1.jpg

Stop toying and make games