[INCOMPLETE] Model names wrong in scene panel

That's not a bug. There is a name of the prefab (crawler) and within that prefab you've got a mesh called U3D_MESH with hit boxes attached as children. Simply rename the parent to crawler and re save the prefab.

However, yes its a naming inconsistency which can only be fixed by Josh as your own variation of the crawler prefab will be overwritten during the next update.

Intel Core i7 Quad 2.3 Ghz, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Windows 10 (x64)

This is not a problem of prebab as i tested with a simple model that is not prefab.

(I updadet the first post with a custom example)

UE4

ue4.jpg

Unity

unity.jpg

Why should we have to rename each imported FBX every time ? i never had to do that on other 3D editors (even older 3D engines).

It's a naming bug.

Stop toying and make games

And how do you export the models? Straight FBX or the Leadwerks exporter for Blender?

Yep Blender direct export to FBX. Same exact test on all 3 engines.

But the problem is not the import as the model name is ok on the Asset panel.

This is just a naming bug when the model is dropped on the 3D map.

as already said this is not a bug since it is just the name of the node that your 3d modeler named.

You can change it either in the 3d modeler. (pretty sure that should be possible since you should also be able to rename bones in your 3d modeler) or rename it in the editor. Maybe it could also be possible to rename it in the model viewer of the LE editor? That way it could be saved directly into the model file.

• Upvote 1

i guess the fbx import in leadwerks overwrite the root name.

the name should be the same from modell editor modell top hirachie, means in blender or something else.

i saw also a difference if me export all or only selected objects in shade 3d editor.

PC : Win 10 Pro 64 Bit , 4x cores ~2 GHz , 8 GB RAM , AMD R7 265

2D : Photoline , Zooner Photo Studio 13 , Art Rage Studio 3.5.4 , Ashampoo Snap 7 , ...

3D : Shade 15 Basic , Carrara 8.5 & DAZ Studio 4.8 , Cheetah 3D 6.3.2 , Via Cad 8

Music : Samplitude Music Studio , Music Creator 7

IDE : Leadwerks Engine 3.x , Unity 5.x , (Unreal 4.8.x) , AGK v2.x , Construct 2 , (Clickteam Fusion 2.5) , ShiVa 1.9 , Game Maker Studio , MS Visual Studio .Net , Android Studio , Monkey , ...

as already said this is not a bug since it is just the name of the node that your 3d modeler named.

You can change it either in the 3d modeler. (pretty sure that should be possible since you should also be able to rename bones in your 3d modeler) or rename it in the editor. Maybe it could also be possible to rename it in the model viewer of the LE editor? That way it could be saved directly into the model file.

You import a models that are named in Assets foler : soldier, house, roof ...

Why those names are not taken for the Scene panel blink.png, why LE3 take some bone or hierarchy name to display it on the scene panel ?

In UE4 i just import some soldier.fbx , it keeps the same name soldier in the scene panel , what makes sense,

i don't have to bother about bones or hierarchy name at all sleep.png

Anyway, i just posted it, no one says that will be corrected, and if LE3 users are ok with strange things or needing unecessary extra efforts, good for them

• Upvote 1

may be a mix of booth, the (full) filename and the modell hirachie 1:1.

(path as tooltip text.)

often i don't know its folder source, modell or prefab, also if u rename it in scene panel with a better and unique name

u lost the connection to the original source.

PC : Win 10 Pro 64 Bit , 4x cores ~2 GHz , 8 GB RAM , AMD R7 265

2D : Photoline , Zooner Photo Studio 13 , Art Rage Studio 3.5.4 , Ashampoo Snap 7 , ...

3D : Shade 15 Basic , Carrara 8.5 & DAZ Studio 4.8 , Cheetah 3D 6.3.2 , Via Cad 8

Music : Samplitude Music Studio , Music Creator 7

IDE : Leadwerks Engine 3.x , Unity 5.x , (Unreal 4.8.x) , AGK v2.x , Construct 2 , (Clickteam Fusion 2.5) , ShiVa 1.9 , Game Maker Studio , MS Visual Studio .Net , Android Studio , Monkey , ...

This drives me crazy too. And I know under what conditions it happens too. If it is a single mesh with a named root node. Leadwerks will preserve the name. If it has any hierarchy it will give it a different name. It gets worse when you mass import models and you need to rename everything.

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...

Are you saying you expect the file name to be the same as the top-level root object that is created when none exists in the hierarchy? That makes sense but I can't investigate this without a file to test with. I am guessing at what you might mean but don't want to spend effort unless I know what you are describing. Can you please provide a sample model to test?

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.