Published game wont run

Imchasinyou

Any time you add new functionality you create new bugs and destabilize the program, temporarily. This always happens no matter what.

So the first step is to split up the zip files in the exporter. Then we get that out on the default branch and make sure it's working right.

The next step is selective file inclusion. You have to do one thing at a time, because we have a live product that's being used right now.

• Upvote 3

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Im awesome at makign maps bigger than whats really needed so ill stand in line now for that update for the zip splitting and will be happy as a lark to test it out. You just say the word buddy, and Im there. Ill also be here later fopr the inclusive file selection part. Cant wait to see that one working.

BTW, thanks for taking the time and helping us be more successful with the engine.

Asus sabertooth 990FX, AMD FX 9590 , Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit, 4 HDD's Western Digital Caviar Black set in Raid 0, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix Elite, Asus Radeon R9 270 X 4GB, Corsair CM750M,

Okay, there is a new build on the beta branch that starts a new zip file each time 1 gb of data is added. This is experimental, and only a new Windows build of the editor is provided at the moment.

• Upvote 2

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Well done Josh! I successfully published a 20GB (90% of assets weren't even used) game level and ran it just fine on my rig.

Like Tattie, I had several folders around 500 GB. Its an awesome start to part of the solution and Im sure you will get the other part figured out just as easily.

Great job tonight josh. Take the rest of the evening off. I promise to leave you alone for the night! (This time)

Asus sabertooth 990FX, AMD FX 9590 , Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit, 4 HDD's Western Digital Caviar Black set in Raid 0, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix Elite, Asus Radeon R9 270 X 4GB, Corsair CM750M,

Oops!

Wow blink.png . Multiple 500 GB-folders form up a 20 GB project... That's what I call compression tongue.png

Oops! I meant 500MB folders. Lol

The issue is that we aren't actually making games that big but when you import assets as a group, when you publish the project, every asset imported is published as well whether or not it's actually in the scene as we have described above.

The issue is that we aren't actually making games that big but when you import assets as a group, when you publish the project, every asset imported is published as well whether or not it's actually in the scene as we have described above.

That's weird, because all objects and textures used are simply listed in the ".map" file.

When the project is exported it would have just to export stuff that is listed in the map.

Stop toying and make games

Script files can load files in code. Model, material, and prefab files reference other files. Sometimes file paths are relative and sometimes they are not. So it's not as simple as just taking a list of models in the map file.

I could not find a way to retrieve the compressed size of a file as I am building the zip, so at this time the routine is using the uncompressed size...which is why the exported files aren't exactly 1 gb. Not that it really matters.

2Gb is nothing now days you get patch fixes bigger than that wink.png

...i do understand that, but so far i havent seen anything done that justifying such a large files to be deployed with game, which is why im asking, about game types folks working at..as for large datasets deployed with games newdays(non LE related), i believe its related to bloating and lazy approach developers/publishers taking these days..I mean, come on, 40+Gigs patch i have seen recently!!

hey josh, would there be a way to auto tag and also manually tag things that should be exported in the game? That might fix everything as non used items wouldn't get exported during publishing and those that call things from script could tag them.

Just a thought I had today at work.

The problem with that is when you have a big project you would have to remember everything you used and for each and every level you have to be able to remove the stuff you didn't use. Also the way i like to work is have all my media ready to place to see how it looks/feels sort of thing and the constant moving files into the project see how it looks the if you don't like it remove and repeat it get a bit tiresome most engines only take the entity's used saving time and all the hassle i know this wont come anytime soon but i think it would make a nice addition to leadwerks.

Asus Extreme v x99, Intel I7, Windows 8.1 64 Bit, SSD, Geforce GTX 980 4GB, 16GB Ripjaw DDR4

Such resistance to change that isnt hurting anything or any one. Sad really. Im kind of looking out for others that WILL run into this problem. All the comments only came about the subject after Josh made a change you didnt seem to see a reason for. I didnt think Josh was developing the engine for a specific set of users with your massive AAA game building skills.

I guess it makes more sense to import a project, use some of its assets and then try and go back through several folders to try and find the ones you didnt use. where as having some kind of function LIKE EVERY OTHER ENGINE that would assist in this process. BTW, it isnt hurting you one bit, is it?

The following is from the Leadwerks store page on Steam "Leadwerks is the easiest way to make your own 3D games."

Which is hardly true as FPSCR is way easier, the community is way more supportive and there are several FREE scripts and models readily available! As a current user of that software, I must say that only the assets that are placed are exported, hjas an integrated HUD element that can be changed, MP support and several other KEY features straight out of the box!

For me, making something more practical or EASIER for the end user is only going to strengthen the engine. Have you noticed the flood of questions from NEW users lately? I have!

Now, Im here because I like the software and like the learning process involved albeit slow for me as this stuff is very difficult for me to figure out. Now if you cant take my suggestions and the fact that somethig is gettign done about them, Im sorry, I have nothing to say to you!

At this time, the expected process is the user doesn't have a ton of stuff in the project they don't need. I realize this doesn't match up with what people want, but I can't just magically wave my hands and make it so. Within a couple of weeks I expect the publish process to selectively include used files.

There's two kinds of fixing things...there's making the actual behavior match the expected spec of how things are supposed to work, and then there is changing things to make it better. You have to be carefully how quickly you change the specification of how things should behave or you get a lot of bugs.

Such resistance to change that isnt hurting anything or any one. Sad really. Im kind of looking out for others that WILL run into this problem. All the comments only came about the subject after Josh made a change you didnt seem to see a reason for. I didnt think Josh was developing the engine for a specific set of users with your massive AAA game building skills.

... it isnt hurting you one bit, is it?

... Im sorry, I have nothing to say to you!

excuse me - I have no idea what half of your responses even mean. I simply pointed out that you have the option to manually clean up your project folder that resolves the issue. I am sure Josh will do something in the near future that will accommodate this. As for your attitude and response to just a simple suggestion, it is completely uncalled for, but thanks for once again sharing with everyone the type of person you are.

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

I can't just magically wave my hands and make it so

Take your time Josh we haven't demanded anything now hurry up ko ;). This has to be one of the strongest minded forums i have ever came across lets face it leadwerks is still missing alot of simple features so suggesting one shouldn't be taken as its not broken don't fix it it could be because there are so many different levels of people on here so the guys with the knowledge get frustrated with the guys with little knowledge and vice versa.

Asus Extreme v x99, Intel I7, Windows 8.1 64 Bit, SSD, Geforce GTX 980 4GB, 16GB Ripjaw DDR4

Just ignore my posts there bud! You and I have run around the tree before! No point in doing it again. Personally, it's your attitude and the attitude of those that think they are building a AAA game that causes problems. Please, ignore me, I have NO useful suggestions or input here.

Just ignore my posts there bud! You and I have run around the tree before! No point in doing it again. Personally, it's your attitude and the attitude of those that think they are building a AAA game that causes problems. Please, ignore me, I have NO useful suggestions or input here.

Again - not sure what you are talking about, but nothing in my post even suggested anything other than manually editing your project folder. And again nothing in any of my posts or others that I have seen, suggests that any of us hobbyists (mostly) are building AAA games. So not quite sure where your anger is coming from, but its tiresome. Josh apparently likes the idea or he would have never responded, but in the meantime, manually cleaning your project folder is the way to go.

I would be curious though how he is going to solve the problem of assets that get loaded via code. That will be a pain to figure out. Your idea of marking assets that are loaded via code plus whatever asset gets loaded in the maps for publication is a possibility. But the implementation might be painful as there is no current interface in the World Editor with assets unless they are actually used in the scene - unless of course he adds an option to the model editor, texture editor, material editor, etc... We will see.

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

Im leaving this conversation to die other than to reply to constructive commentary. Im not here for the fight, Im here for the "community" its guidance and any help I can offer others.

Maintaining a clean folder as suggested is a great idea, Im not saying it isnt but for me and the way i do things, its impractical when you import several folders, 20 GB in my case in one project, to see what of those assets work and use those assets to manually go back and remove them is just too impractical. I could see this happening to others that may be new and if we can do something here to alleviate the issue, were all better off.

As far as marking things that would get loaded by code, I can see the dilemma with that but if you could maybe right click the asset in your asset browser and set it to "export with project" because you know you need it in your map and are calling it by script would be an easy fix and easy to do on the end users part. Then it gets exported with the project and all the others will get left behind. Now, I have no clue how hard that would be or if thats something reasonable. Its just the thoughts rattling around in my head.