publish to android with steam indie.

dbk3r

If you did a Kickstarter for it a year or two down the line, when compatibility hopefully gets better, do you think it would do poorly? Also, any estimate on how much you would need for it (before Kickstarter and merchandise costs)? $20k like Linux? Or less since you've already worked on it before? Or more because it's still more work?

That said, I understand there's existing competition out there for it, including the free Anarchy option you pointed out before.

The problem with Android is ongoing costs. Maintaining compatibility with the horrible hardware out there and running those huge long build processes is misery. Plus the fact the OS itself is fundamentally broken by design, and the developer experience is terrible. I felt kind of guilty even selling something that relied on something so awful as Eclipse.

I got caught up in the mobile hype, but it was just bull**** the media puts out to ramp up valuations for Zynga, etc. It's not actually a place you can make money unless you got in early and already are successful there:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-09-24-game-devs-ditching-mobile-in-favor-of-pc-console

I do sometimes wonder what sales of a mobile product on Steam would be like. During the Greenlight campaign I made no mention of mobile because I was not sure what would happen there, and it's never been mentioned in the indie edition. But at this point I think it's easier to maximize sales of Leadwerks for the PC, rather than try selling an add-on to a segment of people who buy the base product.

(Leadwerks used to just be one product, and the indie edition was an experiment. Now the indie edition is the best seller. That's why I occasionally throw out a crazy idea on Greenlight or Kickstarter, because every once in a while you find one that works.)

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

That's also impossible, because the build process for both iOS and Android requires C++. Unless I set up a remote server somewhere that does the build process for you remotely, which is more than I know how to do. And a lot of users are just trying game development for the first time. Throwing those people into Eclipse would be cruel.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Reevaluate that option when OpenGl next is out, which is supposed to unify mobile and dedicated graphics and Android L is a reality.

But for now there's a million more worthwhile things to do imo. Especially considering OS X, which should be the first new (old) platform to be added.