Non-fps type games.

w0otness

Hi,

How feasible is it in Leadwerks to create other types of games, mainly RTS type games? I ask because many game sdks such as this has its development workspace geared towards a specific gamestyle, (Leadwerks obviously being FPS).

I'm making an RTS game right now. The editor and all work fine and smooth during the making of it. You can basically create any kind of game with Leadwerks, you just see a lot of FPS games/tutorials because it's easy to set up.

Using Leadwerks Professional Edition (Beta), mainly using C++.

Windows 10 / Linux Mint, Visual Studio 2017. GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX970, CPU: Intel i7 7700K @ 4.20 GHz

Previously known as Evayr.

• 2 weeks later...

@Evayr: How are you solving the pathfinding issue?

I tried to make a basic RTS too and worked nice so far. However the current pathfinding solution is not really usable for this kind of genre.

Mainly because the navmesh is only rendered once and does not take new build or placed units/buildings into account.

Really? What would the command for that look like in C++?

Nothing too special actually:

world = World::Create();
NavPath *np = new NavPath();
np->navmesh = world->navmesh;
//np = np->navmesh->FindPath( Vec3(0,0,0) /*from*/, Vec3(5,0,5) /*to*/ ); //To use it
np->navmesh->Build( float maxedgelength, int callback(float progress) );
np->navmesh->BuildTile( int x, int y, float maxedgelength, float maxedgeerror );

• Upvote 3

Using Leadwerks Professional Edition (Beta), mainly using C++.

Windows 10 / Linux Mint, Visual Studio 2017. GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX970, CPU: Intel i7 7700K @ 4.20 GHz

Previously known as Evayr.

You know, I think we may be able to expose some stuff ourselves. We should be able to wrap something up in our C++ project to be called in Lua. Now that means you would need standard and make a C++ project, but if you have standard then making a C++ project still allows you to use Lua but gives you more freedom to expose this kind of stuff yourself I believe.

• Upvote 1

Your talking about wrapping our own C++ functions and bind them using lua++ or luabind (or something like that)

bool Life()
{
 while(death=false)
 {
   if(death==true)
   return death;
 }
}

I have found the secret to infinite life

Did I help you out? Like my post!