Great Water from Open Source Engine (nGENE)

L B

Whole engine looks pretty nice. Seems to be a little rough around the edges, but could be a competitor to LE in the near future. Alot of similarities between them, except they use DX instead of OpenGL. And it's open source, which is a plus for it and should cause it to grow quickly. Josh is really good, but crowd sourcing can lead to explosive development under the right conditions. Biggest drawbacks seem to be that it uses FMOD, which isn't free, and PhysX. I like PhysX, but currently the download site for the SDK is down so new people can't get started with it unless they already have a developer account and the SDK.

Windows 7 x64 - Q6700 @ 2.66GHz - 4GB RAM - 8800 GTX

ZBrush - Blender

Yes the water does look good, couldn't tell much from the stills but the video section is worth a look.

AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 Black Edition

2 x 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Memory

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 Ti OC 1024MB GDDR5

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

BlitzMax 1.50 • Lua 5.1 MaxGUI 1.41 • UU3D Pro • MessiahStudio Pro • Silo Pro

3D Coat • ShaderMap Pro • Hexagon 2 • Photoshop, Gimp & Paint.NET

LE 2.5/3.4 • Skyline UE4 • CE3 SDK • Unity 5 • Esenthel Engine 2.0

Marleys Ghost's YouTube Channel Marleys Ghost's Blog

"I used to be alive like you .... then I took an arrow to the head"

Hi, thanks for positive comments about my engine ;) However, I don't like being considered a potential competitor of LE. It is a very good and complete engine, while what I do I just do in my spare time (I'm not even working for a gamedev company...). Of course I want to make it better and more programmers friendly engine but that's still a long way to go ;)

I believe water could be adapted for LE - I'd be more than happy to know that algorithm I came up with is used more commonly :) so if anyone of you want to do this, do not hesitate. I will be also happy to help if there are any issues - just drop me an email (tomanw@gmail.com). BTW there is an article in which I described the technique used:

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/programming/features/ppWaterRender/

You can also visit my blog:

http://wtomandev.blogspot.com

where I describe many useful techniques and algorithms (or at least I hope so :) ).

Thanks for the offer to share the algorithm Riddlemaster and for the informative links. Your engine does look very nice and the water particularly impressive. I wish you continued success with your engine! It would be nice to see your water techniques implemented with LE.

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

Is there a compiled example I can view?

You can try this: http://www.mediafire.com/?muom2wz1y3z

It's the old demo I used during presentation of the effect. The technique evolved a bit since then but it shows general idea. I know there were some issues on some configurations. If that would be a case just let me know and I'll try to upload updated version.

It seems to be compiled in VS2010, and I don't have the runtime. Last time I installed VS2010, it destroyed randomly files on my harddisk, because of a bug in .NET 4.0 Beta 1.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

It crashes on my ATI Machine with an unhandled Fatal Error just after loading nodes for the forest. I'll try it on my nVidea PC and report back.

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

Yeah, working fine on my nVidea (spec as below). The water and sky effects are both really very good. The HDR seems a bit fierce and I'm getting occasional issues with what might be clipping planes but the water is top notch. I particularly like the foam on the water ... that looks completely natural. The only water I have seen that betters this uses FFT for all those cascaded wave frequencies that make it look totally realistic. Very impressive!

same article i was workin with ^^

just that u got much better results then me...

demo doesnt work with my radeon..

if someone can write an glsl code for that:

float3x3 compute_tangent_frame(float3 N, float3 P, float2 UV)
{
float3 dp1 = ddx(P);
float3 dp2 = ddy(P);
float2 duv1 = ddx(UV);
float2 duv2 = ddy(UV);

float3x3 M = float3x3(dp1, dp2, cross(dp1, dp2));
float2x3 inverseM = float2x3( cross( M[1], M[2] ), cross( M[2], M[0] ) );
float3 T = mul(float2(duv1.x, duv2.x), inverseM);
float3 B = mul(float2(duv1.y, duv2.y), inverseM);

return float3x3(normalize(T), normalize(, N);
}

i think i can pretty much provide results like that..

think its a ati bug as they broken a few directx stuff this time round

i've already reported a few game that crash that worked witht he older version

Asus ROG STRIX B350-F GAMMING

AMD Ryzen 7 1700x

32 gb ddr4

15 TB raid 5 HD

Nvidia EVGA 1060GTX

Win10 64bit

same article i was workin with ^^

just that u got much better results then me...

Well it's because I'm the author of this article :P so it was easier for me I guess :)

Ok, so it seems to be ATI related issue... will look into the code (but as far as I remember there were no problems on reference rasterizer)... geez I hate them compatibility problems...