Can Source Shader Editor be use in Leadwerks?

Dan22

So, today I was wondering how to make Shaders for Leadwerks, I have no coding experience so this is an overwhelming task. Then I remembered seeing a visual shader editor, and I remember theres one called Source Shader Editor. I thought maybe this could be a breakthrough in making shaders in a more simple mannner.

The Steam Wiki page states (link below):

his WYSIWYG editor allows the user to create, compile and implement new shaders easily into a source mod without any preliminary knowledge of HLSL.

Example in the editor:

ec845d96d4966288b07c440391f3c121.png

Now after talking with a friend, it seems that shaders in leadwerks are in HLSL so I am wondering if this could be used?

Beaware that the page has a disclaimer at the bottom of the page so I feel that if somone has experience with this stuff, they could test to see if it works? I don't want to break my new graphics card from not knowing what to do.

But if anyone tries this out and can reply to confirm if this can be used would be great. I do not have knowledge on creating shaders so I do not know if this would work but its worth a shot tongue.png

Page Link: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Category:SourceShaderEditor

It also includes alot of tutorials and is free so if this works then it would be a big bonus to new users.

Thanks!

As Rick said, Leadwerks uses OpenGl which uses GLSL. GLSL is much different than HLSL. There are converters for this, but they are not really good and don't work in many cases. So this Editor is unfortunatly not usable in LE.

• Intel® Core™ i7-8550U @ 1.80 Ghz 
  • 16GB RAM 
  • INTEL UHD Graphics 620
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit-Version

So I have done some digging and this looks very interesting. You have a number of target renderers here and OpenGL is one of them. I am talking to the developer of this software because he has specifically made this for Unity only (don't know why) I am hoping we can use this for Leadwerks though would be real nice. Klepto and Shadmar won't have to do all the work with the shaders then smile.png

http://acegikmo.com/shaderforge/

If this works with Leadwerks which I can't see any reason why it won't then I'll be buying it :D

So I have done some digging and this looks very interesting. You have a number of target renderers here and OpenGL is one of them. I am talking to the developer of this software because he has specifically made this for Unity only (don't know why) I am hoping we can use this for Leadwerks though would be real nice. Klepto and Shadmar won't have to do all the work with the shaders then smile.png

http://acegikmo.com/shaderforge/

If this works with Leadwerks which I can't see any reason why it won't then I'll be buying it biggrin.png

It does not work with Leadwerks and the developer has currently no interest in porting it to Leadwerks, I already talked to him a while ago.

So I am in talk with Joachim the guy who made Shader Forge about him sharing the source code for us Leadwerks guys. I don't mind if he is willing to sell the source code in buying from him and getting someone who knows how to code to make it work exclusively for Leadwerks. For the time being though I have found this which also looks interesting.

http://glsl.heroku.com/

Don't know if it is of any use :P