3D Coat Hard Surface tutorials

YouGroove

It's just main guidelines if you are used to use 3D Coat, not deep step by step tutorials.

Helmet tutorial: mainly used is Voxel extrude tool using lines or curves shapes drawing , powerfull way of detailling hard surface.

Miner Armor : mainly used , retopology to reimport polygons in Voxel mode , this is fast way of hard surafces pieces making.

Stop toying and make games

No I don;t have 3d coat. I just have a gripe about these high speed video tutorials that are useless as teaching tools.

You can see the model being crafted but little indication as to HOW.

• Upvote 1

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++

Yeah I agree. Still very cool stuff but useless as a tutorial. Looks like the helmet he is drawing with the spline tool though and he is using a series of brushes to do that (or may be even one brush and the ctrl and shift key for smoothing etc). I'm hoping to get some sort of tutorial up on my channel for sculpting as I really enjoy it and its very creative.

Of course, if it's recorded at a high enough framerate you can slow it down yourself. There are other methods but with Firefox, download Download Helper extension or something similar and it will allow you to download the video to your computer. Then watch the video and use a slow playback to see it at a slower speed, maybe even the original speed. Just a thought.

For hard surfaces modelling punch's viacad 2D/3D is a cheap solution I can recommand. It handle booleans and edge chamfer very well.

It can only export to obj format, but has decimation function to generate 2 versions of the model with High/low poly.

Also it's only a modeller, no paint. But for $99 it's worth every penny.

You can check it out here http://www.punchcad.com/p-27-viacad-2d3d-v9.aspx

Just saying because I use it and I'm happy.

Windows 7 home - 32 bits

Intel Quad Q6600 - nVidia GTX 460 1GB - 2 GB RAM

Yeah this is my main sculpting program. I use it mainly to sculpt detail into my models and also to texture (and to do topology when I need to). I have Blender for box modelling (which I am still learning) and I have Silo 2 as a box modeller as well and I'm pretty sure it does sculpting to a certain degree. I got tons of texturing programs but I really like 3D - Coat the best for modelling as the UI is clean everything is in one place and its easy to learn how to navigate around.

I can see 3D - Coat being very popular in the near future, cos at the moment it seems zBrush is dominating the 3D sculpting arena, but I've heard that its topology tools suck :(

Can't give an honest opinion on that as I have never used it and don't think I ever will.

cos at the moment it seems zBrush is dominating the 3D sculpting arena

Indeed Zbrush dominates and far away, it is the best for super detailled characters and it has so much tools and options (zplugins also).

As i own and used a lot these tools i will list the strong points only :

Zbrush :

+ ultra fast sculpting because it don't relies on Voxels. Increasing resolution and you keep super speed sculpting

+ Low memory needed : I could have super resolution character in Zbrush with it taking only some 500Mo from system.

+ All tools and brushes and sculpting options you could ever need (Dynamesh, clip tools,insert mesh,subtools,Zspheres etc ... )

+ .. .many stuff i can't list here laugh.png

- retopology tools are far from 3D Coat (even last retopo features makes too much polys sometimes for in game)

3D coat :

+ Complete painting tool : ability to paint diffuse/normal/specular maps

+ Easy to use and simple interface

+ Great for hard surfaces in Voxel mode

+ Tileable texture paiting feature

+ The best tool for retopology and fast retopology (quads tool , lines ...) , my personnal taste also.

+ All in One tool : sculpt, retopo, paint, export

- Can crash easy when increasing models resolution, because voxels uses too much memory

- Auto retopolgy, instable lot of times, crashes, not good results for in game low poly

- Where is radial symmetry ? super needed

I would say to buy Zbrush only if you target super detailled characters making or super detailled 3D assets.

Otherwise 3D Coat is a really great deal as it proposes you a All in One tool from scultping , retopo, texture painting , you can make anything from idea sculpting to final low poly painted model without leaving 3D coat tool , that's something that's really shines smile.png

I love 3D - Coat for that reason. It's a one stop shop. It has all the tools you need for making a model from start to finish. The only thing that's missing is animation lol. I can imagine that (myself) still being relatively new to modelling I will try out more programs, so I might give zBrush a go, I have been looking at MODO and that looks absolutely amazing (very pricey though) that is the ultimate one stop tool, in my opinion.

I know MODO has pretty much everything. Sculpting, box modelling, topology tools, animation and you can texture in there as well. With all these amazing tools it still shocks me that 3DS Max and Maya are still the most used lol.

With all these amazing tools it still shocks me that 3DS Max and Maya are still the most used lol.

Because they was here from beginning of 3D, long ago almost every PC intro movies games was made in 3DSMAX , big companies they buy licenses for their employees so no cost problem, it has lot of stuff for lot of areas from advanced movie making , 3D modeling, many advanced features Biped, CAT etc ..

http://www.autodesk.com/products/autodesk-3ds-max/features/all/list-view

But indeed for the price Modo is lot more cheaper and seems to have all you need also for game making.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
The tool is not what makes your models look good. It is only your skill.

Good point. Zbrush and 3DCoat are both excellent sculpting programs.

But, i would like to add though that 3DCoat has an easier workflow, the camera movement in 3DCoat is better than in Zbrush (except if you use Zbrush with a draw tablet, as Zbrush was designed for artists to work with draw tablets), and 3DCoat has way better retopology tools than many other 3D programs, plus 3DCoat has a very easy and powerfull PBR material editor.

I work with both programs, and i like 'em both in their own way. Mostly, i will combine both in my workflow.

Best would be to try out both programs, and see which one works best for yourself. Or, if you can, buy them both. rolleyes.gif

• Upvote 1

ZBrush 4R7 64-bit - 3DCoat 4.5 BETA 12 - Fl Studio 12 64Bit - LE 3.2 Indie version - Truespace 7 - Blender 2.71 - iClone 5.51 Pro - iClone 3DXChange 5.51 pipeline - Kontakt 5 - Bryce 7 - UU3D Pro - Substance Designer/Painter - Shadermap 3 - PaintShop Photo Pro X7 - Hexagon - Audacity - Gimp 2.8 - Vue 2015 - Reaktor 5 - Guitar Rig 5 - Bitmap2Material 3